OT. Great night Red Sox win World Series and UCONN Men's win!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT. Great night Red Sox win World Series and UCONN Men's win!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Every 90's Yankee title team would blow this Boston team off the field. Even the mediocre hangover 1999 one.

That must make you feel better than I do today. Just kidding.

I remember what it felt like to have to make excuses, say the better team lost, and deflect any way I could. Then my team won 3 titles in 9 years.

Reaction Score
Every 90's Yankee title team would blow this Boston team off the field. Even the mediocre hangover 1999 one.

if you want to play that game, than you will lose horribly because the 90's were the most tainted time in baseball history due to rampant and unequal PED use. Those championships can basically be disregarded because the league was a complete mess. How does that sound? And I am as aware/ knowledgeable about PED use in sports since their inception as anyone on this board, so don't try to make a comeback about PEDs. That is all I have to say.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Scherzer, Verlander, Wainwright & Wacha were a combined 1-5. Nine inning games, great matchups, excellent imperfect baseball.

By analogy, some of this thread reads like Duke fans minimizing the 2011 NC would.

OP was simply expressing joy. I'll echo what he said and add that as a Giants fan, I've seen my team win 4 Super Bowls.

Reaction Score
The best team in baseball was Detroit. A healthy Tigers team would have won the pennant. And, deep down, you know that.

But live it up!

Trying to analyze the impact of injuries is impossible.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The best team in baseball was Detroit. A healthy Tigers team would have won the pennant. And, deep down, you know that.

But live it up!
Very difficult to pull an Upset over the course of a 7 game series, especially in baseball. The Tigers had the better starting pitching over the course of the year, but they had a fatal flaw starting in that area beyond the outfield wall. For most of the year they didn't concern themselves because of their offense and Kudos to the Red Sox hitters who ran up pitch counts, traded notes in order to get better looks the 2nd and 3rd time through the order to get to the fatally flawed bullpen. Yes Cabrera got hurt, but what was Martinez's excuse? Granderson's? Fielder's? The Red Sox starters matched the Tigers CY Young award winners virtually pitch for pitch and in the end the better all around team won the series.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Scherzer, Verlander, Wainwright & Wacha were a combined 1-5. Nine inning games, great matchups, excellent imperfect baseball.

By analogy, some of this thread reads like Duke fans minimizing the 2011 NC would.

OP was simply expressing joy. I'll echo what he said and add that as a Giants fan, I've seen my team win 4 Super Bowls.
I was about to "Like" this post...then I read the final line. ;)

Reaction Score
Prince was right. 1999 was the start of a huge party for my teams:

1999 UConn
2002 Patriots
2004 Red Sox
2004 Patriots
2004 UConn
2005 Patriots
2007 Red Sox
2008 Celtics
2009 Boston U. Hockey
2011 UConn
2013 Red Sox

Keep'em coming.

Husky25

Reaction Score

1999 UConn
2002 Patriots
2004 Red Sox
2004 Patriots
2004 UConn
2005 Patriots
2007 Red Sox
2008 Celtics
2009 Boston U. Hockey
2011 UConn
2013 Red Sox

Keep'em coming.

UConn, Celts, Sox, Pats and BU...You're not a Bruins' fan?

Reaction Score
UConn, Celts, Sox, Pats and BU...You're not a Bruins' fan?

Whalers fan... After they left, lost interest, but am now a Sabres fan. The Sabres are the only team I started rooting for as an adult. All the other teams are from childhood. BU is my alma mater.

Given the torture of being a UConn bball fan in the late 70s/early 80s, Patriots fan in the same period, Red Sox in the same period, Whalers too, I am experiencing good karma. Only the Celtics of the 80s kept me sane.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whalers fan... After they left, lost interest, but am now a Sabres fan. The Sabres are the only team I started rooting for as an adult. All the other teams are from childhood. BU is my alma mater.

Given the torture of being a UConn bball fan in the late 70s/early 80s, Patriots fan in the same period, Red Sox in the same period, Whalers too, I am experiencing good karma. Only the Celtics of the 80s kept me sane.
My tenure as well. Still haven't gotten back into hockey after the Whalers move. Your list is my list minus BU. I'll have to throw in the women's bb championships and Bucknell taking down Kansas. Worse thing during this period was the Hurricanes winning it all.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I'm all Boston professional teams except for liking the Redskins this much more than the Patriots (Though I follow the Pats very closely), and of course UConn. My childhood consisted of the Celtics' and 'Skins' Championships and other various close but no cigars (1985-88, 90). My teens were largely a tough period, sports-wise and then came my senior year at UConn ('99). It's been a fun ride ever since...

Reaction Score

Holy cow, me too. I also adopted the Sabres. My brother/sister adopted the Rangers but I can't get over my dislike of them or the Bruins from my childhood as a Whalers fan.

Downside is that the Sabres are truly, truly an awful team. But hey. At least we're not bandwagon jumpers!

Reaction Score
Now the sox can finally shave ...damn bums...yankees are the better northeast team

Yes, I totally agree considering the Yankees are composed of such upstanding and model citizens like "A-Rod".

Reaction Score
Holy cow, me too. I also adopted the Sabres. My brother/sister adopted the Rangers but I can't get over my dislike of them or the Bruins from my childhood as a Whalers fan.

Downside is that the Sabres are truly, truly an awful team. But hey. At least we're not bandwagon jumpers!

Stick around with the Sabres. Pegula is hiring scouts, loading on draft picks, and he will be patient through the youth movement. He put his money where his mouth is not only with the payroll, but by building multiple hockey rinks and entertainment centers right outside the arena. He is there for the long haul. They are going to have great depth. I am 100% confident of that. The only thing I don't know is whether they can draft/land the key star that they need.

Reaction Score

1999 UConn
2002 Patriots
2004 Red Sox
2004 Patriots
2004 UConn
2005 Patriots
2007 Red Sox
2008 Celtics
2009 Boston U. Hockey
2011 UConn
2013 Red Sox

Keep'em coming.

What happened to the Pats in 07 ;)

Reaction Score

But live it up!

AH, the losers lament.

Reaction Score
You're comparing losing a closer to Miguel Cabrera's groin exploding.

Stop. Just stop. The champagne is making you say stupid things.
Apparently you don't need champagne to say stupid things.

Detroit was more talented, but the Red Sox were the best team in the AL from start to finish. That has to count for something.

(And the fact that Detroit had no bullpen to speak of is kind of a big deal.)

Reaction Score
As if something that happened in 1949 or 1953 is relevant. I hope you are baked, because if you're not, you are dumb as a box of rocks.
You're not much of a baseball follower so i forgive you. Let this box of rocks teach you something. If any sport looks at history, its baseball. Baseball is americas past time, its first sport. Traditions, superstitions, records, stats, pennants, and championships are more relevant to baseball than any other sport. So unless you can explain to me mathematically how 27 is < 8 then please stop. Eh, then again you aren't a baseball connoisseur, so i forgive you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Congrats on being a bag after a victory.......you are the TYPICAL Red Sox a**wipe as of now Waq - nice job you ran away with the award!!

The Sox hatred has warped your brain.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

But live it up!

I will disagree, but it doesn't really matter. The Sox were more complete than the Tigers (bullpen), and Sox weren't at 100% either (Bucholtz, Victorino, etc.) . Also, its not like the Tigers were eliminated in a tournament by someone else (ala NCAA tournament). They played head to head, and were eliminated.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're not much of a baseball follower so i forgive you. Let this box of rocks teach you something. If any sport looks at history, its baseball. Baseball is americas past time, its first sport. Traditions, superstitions, records, stats, pennants, and championships are more relevant to baseball than any other sport. So unless you can explain to me mathematically how 27 is < 8 then please stop. Eh, then again you aren't a baseball connoisseur, so i forgive you.

This is not about the Yankees!!!

Yankee Fans are like Christopher Walken's character in Wayne's World 2, trying to get backstage
Walken: "Hey, I need to get in there! My girlfriend is in there!"
Security (Chris Farley): "Hey...A lot of people's girlfriends are in there!"

Reaction Score
This thread is so incredibly stupid. The Red Sox are clearly the best team this year and the Yankees are clearly the best organization. Nobody can argue against the Red Sox this year, they had the best record and won the World Series. Nobody can argue against the Yankees being the best organization in sports, they have the most titles by far and the organization oozes history.

Reaction Score
if you want to play that game, than you will lose horribly because the 90's were the most tainted time in baseball history due to rampant and unequal PED use. Those championships can basically be disregarded because the league was a complete mess. How does that sound? And I am as aware/ knowledgeable about PED use in sports since their inception as anyone on this board, so don't try to make a comeback about PEDs. That is all I have to say.

That's hilarious coming from a Boston fan. It's almost as if one of the biggest cheaters in the history of the sport (right up there with A-Rod) didn't hit cleanup for you during your 2004 and 2007 championships. The beloved David Ortiz isn't exactly a model of honor, either - enjoy your championship, but dismissing the accomplishments of the 90's Yankees is ignorant.

Reaction Score
Woooww, what an argument.

Detroit was better than the Red Sox and you know it!

Yeah, and in 2011 there were probably some teams in college hoops better than UConn. Does it take anything away from winning the championship? Eh, no.

Beating a really good team like Detroit on the way to championship kinda makes it feel even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom