OT: Golf | The Boneyard

OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wondering what everyone is thinking about Jordan Speech's sudden inability to make a cut? The kid is probably drained from a great year and too many media requirements outside the ropes. Hope he uses these 2 weeks prior to the BMW to regroup and get back in the thick of things he's too fun to watch.

Great to see Ricky win although I do like Stenson. Ricky has won 3 highly regarded tourney's outside the majors in the Players Champ, Scottish and this win at Norton. He is ready to make it the Big Four I believe, we'll see.

And for those who proclaim any of these guys to be Tiger Woods remember how few he played and how often he won, and never mind not making cuts but he always seems to be in the running come Sunday. None of them are him as of yet or in all reality even close.

Reaction Score
Regression to the mean is usually the answer any time someone goes from "amazing" to "less than amazing," but I'm sure it'll just be short-term.

Reaction Score
If it continues into the new year, it's cause for concern, but not yet. Plenty of very good players have lost it overnight and never gotten it back . . .

Reaction Score
Inevitably, golfers run hot and cold and a major contributing factor is circumstances outside of the game. It's really just that simple. Speith just turned 22. This year his life changed and, although he displays the mentality of a 1,000 year old Yoda Master, the change is a lot to handle at any age. A year ago few people outside of golf circles knew who Jordan Spieth was. Today he's one of the most recognizable athletes in the world. If the same thing happened to me at 21, there's a good chance I'd have been dead by 25. Just look at all the young famous Hollywood celebrities.

Ultimately, Spieth is a freakish talent, who'll, just like all the others (Mickelson, Rory, Tiger, Arnie, Jack etc), will run hot and cold for his career and ultimately win a ton of golf tournaments.

Reaction Score
Inevitably, golfers run hot and cold and a major contributing factor is circumstances outside of the game. It's really just that simple. Speith just turned 22. This year his life changed and, although he displays the mentality of a 1,000 year old Yoda Master, the change is a lot to handle at any age. A year ago few people outside of golf circles knew who Jordan Spieth was. Today he's one of the most recognizable athletes in the world. If the same thing happened to me at 21, there's a good chance I'd have been dead by 25. Just look at all the young famous Hollywood celebrities.

Ultimately, Spieth is a freakish talent, who'll, just like all the others (Mickelson, Rory, Tiger, Arnie, Jack etc), will run hot and cold for his career and ultimately win a ton of golf tournaments.

I agree for the most part but in speaking about Tiger, Jack and even Arnie I don't think we can throw any of these guys in that group yet. They all miss more cuts their elders did already and have along way to go to prove themselves. But these are freakish golfers and I think they will eventually come close to joining the elite. Jason D and Ricky are still young enough to do the same no doubt it will be interesting to see if 1 or 2 of these guys set themselves apart in the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
I agree for the most part but in speaking about Tiger, Jack and even Arnie I don't think we can throw any of these guys in that group yet. They all miss more cuts their elders did already and have along way to go to prove themselves. But these are freakish golfers and I think they will eventually come close to joining the elite. Jason D and Ricky are still young enough to do the same no doubt it will be interesting to see if 1 or 2 of these guys set themselves apart in the next couple of years.
I agree. I don't think we'll ever seen anything like Tiger in his prime again.

Reaction Score
Spieth just had one of the great runs in golf history
Two majors and serious contention in the other two.
It might have been me but his achievements seemed to be under the radar.
Golf could have been the sports story of the year.
I think part of it is Jordan lacks the charisma of even a Ricky Fowler.
I think if Ricky had the same success, especially when he was Jordan's age , it it would have been a huge national story,and created a new generation of golfers.
Some guys, like Arnie and Tiger had that certain gift that transcends golf. It gets people interested in playing the game.
Jordan reminds me more of Pete Sampras ,
Maybe the best American tennis player of all- time
But he lacked the persona of McEnroe,Connors, or even Agassi .

American men's tennis died at a time when it should have been thriving.
I don't won't American Golf to suffer the same fate post Tiger and Phil.
The Jason Days or Rory McElroy do little or nothing for American golf.
I'm not knocking Ricky's success or lack of achievement in majors. I Liked him since he played out here as a rookie. ( 7 year old AZHuskiePup even wears A Puma cap when we play)
My friend worked that fall tournament as a volunteer and raved about what a good kid he was.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going with the he hit the wall theory. It's been a full year of golf, media and endorsement commitments. For all we joke about young kids having boundless energy, professional golf has zero tolerance for mental or physical fatigue.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what everyone is thinking about Jordan Speech's sudden inability to make a cut? The kid is probably drained from a great year and too many media requirements outside the ropes. Hope he uses these 2 weeks prior to the BMW to regroup and get back in the thick of things he's too fun to watch.

Great to see Ricky win although I do like Stenson. Ricky has won 3 highly regarded tourney's outside the majors in the Players Champ, Scottish and this win at Norton. He is ready to make it the Big Four I believe, we'll see.

And for those who proclaim any of these guys to be Tiger Woods remember how few he played and how often he won, and never mind not making cuts but he always seems to be in the running come Sunday. None of them are him as of yet or in all reality even close.
I have two uncles who have been big golf fans for 50 yrs. They weren't phased at all. They actually consider this drop as normal. They both claimed sometimes a golfer just gets hot. Plays the best golf of their life for a relatively short period of time. They referenced Johnny Miller, Justin Leonard, David Duval as examples.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Speith just turned 22. This year his life changed and, although he displays the mentality of a 1,000 year old Yoda Master, the change is a lot to handle at any age. A year ago few people outside of golf circles knew who Jordan Spieth was. Today he's one of the most recognizable athletes in the world. If the same thing happened to me at 21, there's a good chance I'd have been dead by 25.
Can't imagine what bad things I would have accomplished with $18,622,283 in earnings plus endorsements when I was 22.

Reaction Score
I have two uncles who have been big golf fans for 50 yrs. They weren't phased at all. They actually consider this drop as normal. They both claimed sometimes a golfer just gets hot. Plays the best golf of their life for a relatively short period of time. They referenced Johnny Miller, Justin Leonard, David Duval as examples.
All it takes is 1 injury. Sometimes they never get all the way back. Back and neck injuries can be very difficult to overcome. Just never know.

Reaction Score
I spent some time in Phoenix over the holidays. I played a course called Troon North and it's a must play as far as I'm concerned. I played a few other courses in town and they were all really really nice, but Troon North was the best. The downfall is the price and the pace. I got lucky. Was paired up with one other player and we were the 2nd group of the day. The lead group was another twosome that moved at pretty good pace. So personally I didn't have any pace issues, but I read it can be bad at times.

Reaction Score
Remember when Rory was unbeatable. Wasn't very long ago. Suddenly it's all Day and Spieth. Next year someone else will break into the top group. No one seems to be able to stay on top for a long run. Makes you realize how special Tiger really was.

There are a lot of really good guys on the tour, I don't expect any of them to dominate for very long.

Reaction Score
Remember when Rory was unbeatable. Wasn't very long ago. Suddenly it's all Day and Spieth. Next year someone else will break into the top group. No one seems to be able to stay on top for a long run. Makes you realize how special Tiger really was.

There are a lot of really good guys on the tour, I don't expect any of them to dominate for very long.

Nobody has proven to be Tiger during his run, no one. It will take a lot to get there too. Day has a shot, not sure of the others for now.

Reaction Score
I think Spieth is here to stay for the next 15-20 years. His shotmaking, poise and putting under pressure will keep him near the top for a long time to come I think.

Reaction Score
For all of you hardcore SOB's Winnapaug in Westerly RI full tees and greens still LOL......teeing off 9:45 tomorrow. Love this winter!:D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm supposed to play tomorrow morning, 9:20 tee time.

Unfortunately forecast in the Sunshine State is 80% chance of rain between 9-12 and temps in the mid-50's.

I'll have to look through my closet to look for slacks to wear.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Got nine holes in this morning.

Woke up early and beat the old man 8:00 shotgun Saturday morning scramble.

Almost perfect timing. Caught rain on the 6th fairway and then it started coming down as we finished the 9th.

42 from the front men's tees. I'll take it with zero warm ups or mulligans along the way. Three putted both Par 3's after hitting GIR. Both tee shots landed above the hole on a course that brutalizes down hill putts.

Putter was boss on 8-10 footers (3 for 3) and finally got my driver figured out after about a 4 month hate fest.

Reaction Score
Got nine holes in this morning.

Woke up early and beat the old man 8:00 shotgun Saturday morning scramble.

Almost perfect timing. Caught rain on the 6th fairway and then it started coming down as we finished the 9th.

42 from the front men's tees. I'll take it with zero warm ups or mulligans along the way. Three putted both Par 3's after hitting GIR. Both tee shots landed above the hole on a course that brutalizes down hill putts.

Putter was boss on 8-10 footers (3 for 3) and finally got my driver figured out after about a 4 month hate fest.
I bet those old guys did 18.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I bet those old guys did 18.

They may have waited it out. They were heading en masse to the clubhouse when we were finishing up.

It was a three Bloody Mary rain delay. At least.

I don't play enough cards but I imagine they had plenty of time to get in all the Eurchre, Rummy or bridge that they wanted while they waited it out.

Reaction Score
They may have waited it out. They were heading en masse to the clubhouse when we were finishing up.

It was a three Bloody Mary rain delay. At least.

I don't play enough cards but I imagine they had plenty of time to get in all the Eurchre, Rummy or bridge that they wanted while they waited it out.
Throw me in that briar pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky