OT: golf stuff | The Boneyard

OT: golf stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gps or rangefinder? Any strong opinions? Must be USGA legal, because why bother if it isn't. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Gps or rangefinder? Any strong opinions? Must be USGA legal, because why bother if it isn't. Thanks!

I use apps on my phone that have all the courses I play. It's called golf frontier on android. I got the pro version so not sure about the free one. Not sure if it's legal by their standards though.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I use SkyCaddie. Find it very accurate. My rangefinder is too to a lesser degree. It's harder to use when your hand is shaking from expelling all of the booze I drank the night before.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I use the Golf Logix App on my Droid. I buy the $40 annual fee version instead of the free version to avoid all the ads. I've never had a problem with it. Doesn't do too much damage to battery either.

I'm simple with my golf aids.

On the tee box I want to know distance to hazards off the tee. From fairways give me front, middle and back distances to the green.

I don't use it to track scores, FIR/GIR/Putts, etc.

Reaction Score
Just got a Bushnell Neo gps, but it lost course connection multiple times first use. Not sure if it because I was putting in my pocket. If my solution is a belt clip that's easy enough. Do your android devices lose connections? Keep them in the open at all times?

Reaction Score
I use SkyCaddie. Find it very accurate. My rangefinder is too to a lesser degree. It's harder to use when your hand is shaking from expelling all of the booze I drank the night before.
Hair of the dog.

Reaction Score
I use an old Garmin. I like the distance to front and back and the ability to move the flag on the screen and get readings that way. Played with a low single digit handicapper who favors the laser for precision. There was never more than a yard or 3 difference between our devices and when I hit to the wrong fairway, his laser was useless to measure the distance over the trees.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I thought you were a liberal and here you are trying to replace honest labor with cheap technology.

Feel the Bern, hire a caddy.

Reaction Score
100, 150 and 200 markers on the course. And just plain ole natural sight and feel.

Haven't gone that direction yet but getting old is making think I better, everyone else has one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most of your golf apps have free versions that you can try out before you go all in and pay for an annual subscription. Try a few out and see what you do like and what you don't like.

Reaction Score
100, 150 and 200 markers on the course. And just plain ole natural sight and feel.

Haven't gone that direction yet but getting old is making think I better, everyone else has one.
That's what I do now, but play in enough events where a team member can give me a yardage, and am finding it better than my eyesight and depth perception. It's still not as accurate as the tour.

Reaction Score
I thought you were a liberal and here you are trying to replace honest labor with cheap technology.

Feel the Bern, hire a caddy.
Liberals don't play golf. Anarchists do, and they just don't care.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My dilemma with range finders has always been you need clean line of sight for the total distance. I don't trust them for shots with changes in elevation or around curves.

Maybe AARP has recommended devices for people who are more advanced in age.

Reaction Score
I have the Leupold GX-4i2 (Leupold Optics GX-4i2 Rangefinder -)

There's two modes for this range finder.

One of them with slope enabled (non compliant) that gives you distances and club selection as well as the ability to adjust the distances based on elevation and temperature. I never used that though.

The USGA compliant version just has line of sight distance. The two modes are switchable between face plate keys.

Locks into the flag pretty well and gives accurate distances. The OLED display is great in all sorts of weather conditions.

I used GPS Android apps for distances before and I didn't like them too much as the ones I used required me to keep the phone on during the entire round. Otherwise, the app would not remember what hole I was on and had to unlock my screen before every shot.

The pitfall is that while GPS devices are good for approximate pin locations (front/back/center). If you are dialed into +- 5 yards on your irons 150 yards and in, you may want to go with the range finder. Putting from < 15 ft and putting from 30 ft is a huge difference.

Reaction Score

That's what I do. I played in a scramble yesterday with a guy who had some "350.00 GPS watch" and he lost 12 balls. Good thing he knew we were 179 from the pin though.

Reaction Score
I use the Golf Logix App on my Droid. I buy the $40 annual fee version instead of the free version to avoid all the ads. I've never had a problem with it. Doesn't do too much damage to battery either.

I'm simple with my golf aids.

On the tee box I want to know distance to hazards off the tee. From fairways give me front, middle and back distances to the green.

I don't use it to track scores, FIR/GIR/Putts, etc.

I'm with you... been using this GolfLogoix) for 5 + years, earlier versions ate up battery, this one not so much. Records score online, computes Handicap ( but of course not official)

Reaction Score
My dilemma with range finders has always been you need clean line of sight for the total distance. I don't trust them for shots with changes in elevation or around curves.

Maybe AARP has recommended devices for people who are more advanced in age.
Are you saying I'm too old to be doing this stuff? Cause you're almost right. ;^)

Reaction Score
Rangefinders are worth 4 strokes a round. It isn't even about finding distance to the flag -- picking out trees, tips of bunkers for coverage distance, front/back of green, water hazards, etc. Total game changer going from nothing to a range finder.

Once you get one you'll realize how bad you are eyeballing the 75-125 yard shots, or at least that's what I learned! I have the Nikon Cool Shot 20. Not exactly the Rolls Royce of range finders but it gets the job done. Good luck

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I do this too, but play with guys who have laser or gps to help me out in situations where I'm in doubt. If you know your local course, that shouldn't be often. Playing new courses, the gadgets help.

Reaction Score
I have a Garmin G6 and a Bushnell laser. The laser is more accurate, but the Garmin is always within 1-3 yards, which frankly does not make a difference to me. To me the gps has the following advantages:

1-compact, can keep in pocket along with tees, divot repair tool.
2-gives information instantly, believe it or not, this was a big deal to me.
3-provides more info than just to pin. Provides distances to bunkers, water hazards, front/back of green, wide portion of fairway, etc. Especially helpful on par 5s...just find easiest path to get a wedge in your hands on a par 5.
4-Garmin updates software frequently, $0 annual subscription fee.
5- had tendency to shoot at pins I had no business aiming for when using laser.

Reaction Score
That's what I do. I played in a scramble yesterday with a guy who had some "350.00 GPS watch" and he lost 12 balls. Good thing he knew we were 179 from the pin though.

That's hilarious. They should sell "Lewis & Clark" contraptions for guys like that.;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have the Leupold GX-4i2 (Leupold Optics GX-4i2 Rangefinder -)

The pitfall is that while GPS devices are good for approximate pin locations (front/back/center). If you are dialed into +- 5 yards on your irons 150 yards and in, you may want to go with the range finder. Putting from < 15 ft and putting from 30 ft is a huge difference.

If you are dialed in with your irons that tight, it shouldn't matter what you use. Even PGA players are barely 50% at getting 15' and in from 150 yards.

You overall point that the better you are at knowing your distances makes good information more valuable because you can apply that info.

For me, once you account for wind, change and elevation, slope of the green and firmness of the course, I only want front/center/back distances.

Reaction Score
If you are dialed in with your irons that tight, it shouldn't matter what you use. Even PGA players are barely 50% at getting 15' and in from 150 yards.

You overall point that the better you are at knowing your distances makes good information more valuable because you can apply that info.

For me, once you account for wind, change and elevation, slope of the green and firmness of the course, I only want front/center/back distances.
And I really don't care about back because it's not like I'll spin it back off the green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom