OT: Golf courses | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
See the crazy thing is that I know the difference between like a scratch (you) and a 5 like I was isn’t 5. Like now at 8/9 I’d ask for 5 a side at least ...... scratch and pluses come to play all the time consistently period. 65-72 expected a 5 is thrilled with his occasional 70 but an 80 happens way too much. Lol you have game my friend nice!!
I dropped from 4.0 to 0.0 last year just by getting my drives in play. This year I cannot putt worth a lick so far. You’re absolutely right, as a 5-8 the range of potential scores is very wide. I’m really curious to see what the new system does to the that range, i shot +4 yesterday and changed 0.0 to 1.0 overnight. I had no idea it was changing daily, not to mention some kind of weather factor too.

who’s watching Seminole right now? My buddy is actually a caddie there, usually caddies for Rory when he plays. Said one time Els tipped him 1k and said sorry that’s all I have have, wanna go get a drink?

Reaction Score
I dropped from 4.0 to 0.0 last year just by getting my drives in play. This year I cannot putt worth a lick so far. You’re absolutely right, as a 5-8 the range of potential scores is very wide. I’m really curious to see what the new system does to the that range, i shot +4 yesterday and changed 0.0 to 1.0 overnight. I had no idea it was changing daily, not to mention some kind of weather factor too.

who’s watching Seminole right now? My buddy is actually a caddie there, usually caddies for Rory when he plays. Said one time Els tipped him 1k and said sorry that’s all I have have, wanna go get a drink?

Watching it now one of Ross’s finest looks like a bitch quite honestly lol. Wolf is having a tough round but he kills it. Great story on your buddy like that.

One day plus 4 jumped you 1? That’s crazy. Haven’t reviewed the new system at all will need to check it out.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Thanks for the memories. I grew up on Hillside Avenue in Hartford and used to play Goodie daily for 25 cents with the golf card. We used to rent lockers every year for our clubs and items we couldn’t bring home. We called the flat nine the hackers. The 7th hole green was tough and hilly. Haven’t played there in years. My uncle used to take us to
Keney on occasion. We also used to play hockey at Cedar Hill cemetery in the winter. I loved growing up in Hartford

That's the 8th green on the flat 9. VERY slanted. If you land your approach to the left of the green, you cannot keep your chip on the green. And the magnolia tree to the right of the green has gotten much bigger, so when the pin is on the right side of the green you almost can't go at it, and any miss to the right will have to be punched low when going back to the green. It's a 240 yard par 4, but good luck finding a birdie.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

Watched the whole match. It was fun for a change of pace (golf-watching wise). I bet Ricky/Wolff at +175 (it closed at like +115). I would have taken whoever was the underdog in a match like this. Ricky played the best overall. Wolff bombs it and he didn't play great overall, but I felt like he still played better than DJ. These guys were rusty for sure. I saw missed shots like I've never seen in a tour event. At the end of the day, Rory had one shot to win it all and he nailed it - go figure.

Reaction Score
Not me... I said money-winner.

Right now sometimes it's a real nice number for me but for the reason I am almost a 9 there are times it's not enough. All depends on the driver as of late 68. Just bought the M6 and have had some really good stuff but a little inconsistent. Almost threw the M3 back in but will give it another coupe of rounds because it has shown to add 5-10 years for my old butt which I need, when I stripe it though. I feel like it's less forgiving than the ol M3. All part of the game right, ou getting out much?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Anyone ever play Candlewood Valley in New Milford? Is it any decent?
My group played it about 5 years ago because a friend was the asst pro. I remember it not being in the best condition. Best I can give it is a meh. And #1 is a short par 5 to boot.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think the new hcp structure brought everyone down a full stroke or two so we got that going for us all... lot more things being considered with the calculation. Much harder to sand bag. We’ve got about a 15-20 man crew every weekend ranging from 0.0 (me - humble brag yes) to 12, with most around 5-8. Makes for lots of good games, 2man bb, best 2 of 4, etc.
Ron Burgundy would say Scratchy, scratch, scratch. I'm a high handicapper and the new handicap raised mine .4
The new system is easier but the conditions portion is way too subjective. I like the fact that it immediately updates your handicap as soon as you enter a new score.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played Rockledge today in West Hartford. The course just recently opened and the greens are immaculate.

Reaction Score
Played Wintonbury Hills Saturday. Nice track although I preferred the tree lined fairways of the back nine. Course was in great shape. Nobody in our group lit it up and most of us were in the 80’s

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played Wintonbury Hills Saturday. Nice track although I preferred the tree lined fairways of the back nine. Course was in great shape. Nobody in our group lit it up and most of us were in the 80’s
Played there 2 weeks ago. A great track, and the scenery was awesome. A couple of really cool holes too. There was a hole on the back 9 that had water to the right of the fairway, and a huge slope/hill all along the left side of the fairway. I hit into the slope and it just rolled right down into the fairway. There was also an elevated par 4 with a great view of the CT hills on the front 9. Try this place.

Reaction Score
I’ve only played a couple Dye courses but I’m a fan. TPC here, Barefoot Myrtle, Wintonbury Hills here and my favorite Rum Pointe Ocean City MD area. Mostly very fair on the tee shot but then your approaches are challenging, where you hit it on the green or where you miss.

Ross courses can be fun and challenging for sure but also can be very overrated especially in this area. I mean there are quite a few some beautiful and historic others ehh.

Having said that as @idahohusky said I’m not arguing with too many tracks as long as they maintain the greens and the rest the best they can.

TPC River Highlands is mostly Bobby Weed now. 1,2,3,4,14 green, 17,18 are the remnants of dye.

Barefoot is an odd place. The first 10 or so holes at the Love are great, The last 7 holes are a chore.

The Dye course blows. And I’d rather play Norman than the Fazio.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Anyone ever play Candlewood Valley in New Milford? Is it any decent?

When I played it last year it was in good shape. Not as nice as Richter, but nicer than Whitney Farms in Monroe and comparable to Tashua Knolls in Trumbull

Definitely a solid tier course

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
My group played it about 5 years ago because a friend was the asst pro. I remember it not being in the best condition. Best I can give it is a meh. And #1 is a short par 5 to boot.

They’ve done a better job maintaining in recent years, but I will concede that first hole is probably the easiest one on the entire course

Nothing wrong with starting the round off on a high note

Reaction Score
TPC River Highlands is mostly Bobby Weed now. 1,2,3,4,14 green, 17,18 are the remnants of dye.

Barefoot is an odd place. The first 10 or so holes at the Love are great, The last 7 holes are a chore.

The Dye course blows. And I’d rather play Norman than the Fazio.

Obviously different views on preferred layouts. It’s been years since we did the Barefoot run but my fav’s would go Fazio, Dye, Norman with Love last. Fazio real fair off the tees, Dye combines Rum Pointe finish and Nicklaus like look in the approach while you can have Norman and Love who take away the fun by making it too much work.

I will agree an odd place and one we never repeated on any of our many trips to the grand strand.

Reaction Score
Played there 2 weeks ago. A great track, and the scenery was awesome. A couple of really cool holes too. There was a hole on the back 9 that had water to the right of the fairway, and a huge slope/hill all along the left side of the fairway. I hit into the slope and it just rolled right down into the fairway. There was also an elevated par 4 with a great view of the CT hills on the front 9. Try this place.

14 is a good hole, a little whacky based on the need to hit the hill on your approach in the perfect spot to get a good look at birdie. But overall a great track, fun and you can score on it too.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Shennecossett too. Don't get up that way often but my buddy owns a house next to the 17th green and there's not many better views of a course than from his deck.

View attachment 54103
A thing about that area is it can be 88 degrees at the oil terminal/Pfizer and you can watch the temperature drop from your car's outside temp sensor to 81-82 by the time you get to Avery Point. You can feel the difference when running a boat on the Thames too.

Reaction Score
A thing about that area is it can be 88 degrees at the oil terminal/Pfizer and you can watch the temperature drop from your car's outside temp sensor to 81-82 by the time you get to Avery Point. You can feel the difference when running a boat on the Thames too.

And then you go home the lights go out and there you are glowing in the dark..... :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom