OT: Golf courses | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses

Reaction Score
It's a solid course, very good track. A bit overrated in regards to the many Top 100's it gets but remember it's an old traditional college track so it does have legacy. It's a solid test of golf no doubt, the par 3 9th is whacked on the green LOL, go play you will love it.
Depending where you play from tee wise it is extremely difficult. CSGA 2-man in there every August and it was really good last year. Many template holes from the golden age of architecture. 10 and 18 are brutal. With quality conditioning and a little TLC it would probably move up some of those lists.

Reaction Score
I lived on a cul de sac off of Old Farms Rd. and don't recall Simsbury Farms. But it says it was designed in 1971. Hopmeadow was 1961.
Both would be really good with some bunker cleanup/reshaping. Seems that and green contour/size are most affected over time and often change the way the holes were meant. Haven’t been to HMCC in a couple years though.

Reaction Score
Has anyone here played Yale’s golf course? My nephew is an oncologist at Yale New Haven and can get us on. Heard it was a beautiful old course.
Great course but pretty hard. Also that famous par three is the only time I edge a wedge on a green.

Reaction Score
If you want to go back in time I would recommend Fenwick in old saybrook I have played some great links courses in Scotland and Ireland and it will never be confused with those but it is cool Has a church on the first hole. Supposedly Katherine Hepburn got in trouble as a child for faking sick to get out of church then hitting a ball off the building during services. Though that might be local lore.

Reaction Score
If you want to go back in time I would recommend Fenwick in old saybrook I have played some great links courses in Scotland and Ireland and it will never be confused with those but it is cool Has a church on the first hole. Supposedly Katherine Hepburn got in trouble as a child for faking sick to get out of church then hitting a ball off the building during services. Though that might be local lore.

Well Hepburns "little" cottage can be seen on the water while playing. Actually one time her limo or a limo, can't confirm she was in it, drove through the course to get to her place as there is a driveway running through. Haven't played it I bet in almost 40 years fun little 9 holes. Open to the public in the early spring and winter and then it becomes private for the summer, or thats the way it was back in the day.

Reaction Score
let’s be careful to not mistake “tough” with “just flat out stupid” like 18 at yale

10 is tough but you look right at it. 18 is blind and as close to stupid as you can get, agree.

Reaction Score
Never played but why is the cart path like 10 feet off the fairway on the right on 3?
Because I don’t really think they could of put it anywhere else. The hole is just stupid lol

Reaction Score
#2 is a nice par 3 before you get beat up by 3...

Photo of The Golf Club at Oxford Greens - Oxford, CT, United States

Reaction Score
Never played but why is the cart path like 10 feet off the fairway on the right on 3?
My guess is that the the left side of the fairway gets very wet. I remember it as cart path only . It was a long walk for this left hander's slice to the far left of the fairway.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned CT National? Minus the first tee being essentially in the parking lot that place is tremendous, haven’t been in a couple years though. Always enjoyed it, every hole is different.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Played a 9 hole course in Glastonbury today - Minnechaug. Fun and challenging. It has a 120-yard island green par 3. The next hole is also a par 3, and it's a beast, with about 130 yards of water to carry. Played it twice to get in the 18.

Reaction Score
Well Hepburns "little" cottage can be seen on the water while playing. Actually one time her limo or a limo, can't confirm she was in it, drove through the course to get to her place as there is a driveway running through. Haven't played it I bet in almost 40 years fun little 9 holes. Open to the public in the early spring and winter and then it becomes private for the summer, or thats the way it was back in the day.
Yeah. You can play weekdays now. Weekends are generally reserved for Old Saybeook residents now.

Reaction Score
Played a 9 hole course in Glastonbury today - Minnechaug. Fun and challenging. It has a 120-yard island green par 3. The next hole is also a par 3, and it's a beast, with about 130 yards of water to carry. Played it twice to get in the 18.
The island green is reputed to be the oldest island green in New England and one of the oldest in the country. You should check out Indian Springs in Middlefield. It is a challenging 9 hole course with a great layout.

Reaction Score
The island green is reputed to be the oldest island green in New England and one of the oldest in the country. You should check out Indian Springs in Middlefield. It is a challenging 9 hole course with a great layout.
I live right up the street from Indian Springs. Great family owned course, owned by super nice people. Hoping to get out there after work tomorrow,

Reaction Score
How old is that course? When we lived there my family was at Hopmeadow, did Simsbury farms even exist in the late 80's to 1990?
Was Orkel Farms before Simsbury bought the land for town recreation. Has swimming pools, ice skating rink, tennis, pickle ball(?) courts, and a golf course. I played there in the early 90s, but I’m not sure how old it is. Been a mens club member for a few years. Course is improving every year, which is all you can ask for.

Reaction Score
No place to put it on the left. Just disappears over there... but it’s been years since we played there. It was around the time Bud Light Lime came out... remember the color of urine more than most of the course. Like #2 there... nice par 3.

Reaction Score
Used to 18 around 55-60 years ago. That hole was a killer for me then.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned CT National? Minus the first tee being essentially in the parking lot that place is tremendous, haven’t been in a couple years though. Always enjoyed it, every hole is different.
Cmon man this is a humble brag. You know hardly anyone here has played there.

Reaction Score

CT National is one of the best, excellent layout. Besides the fact it’s a pain to get to I would suggest that everyone get out there to play it really nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom