OT - Going on a cruise w/ stops to Honduras & Belize - getting conflicting info on vaccination reqs | The Boneyard

OT - Going on a cruise w/ stops to Honduras & Belize - getting conflicting info on vaccination reqs

Reaction Score
For anyone out there that has gone on cruises that stop in Central America, particularly that had stops in Honduras and Belize, were you recommended to get any vaccinations or any other medicines? We're only stopping in two ports for about 6 hours.

Sister-in-law who's a nurse heard from her doctors that nothing is needed. Wife's cousin from Wisconsin said her doctor had her family get treatments for Malaria and something else (Yellow Fever maybe?). I'll spare you the rest of the details of who found out what.

Anyhow, my wife set up an appointment for us for tomorrow morning and I won't be able to follow-up w/ my own doctor. Give this assignment to her and figured it was a no brainer, but go figure.

Please chime in if you've cruised to or near these places if we really need to pursue any medical stuff. Thanks as always for the great input we always get here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Your cruise documents would tell you if this is necessary.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Dog, if you don't bite anybody they won't need a rabbi's shot! :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I lived in Belize over a summer once. Spent time in Guatemala as well. Did not need vaccines for either.

Old friend of mine was in Honduras and Nicaragua a couple of years ago. I'll check whether there were any vaccinations required.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Malaria is a problem in Honduras, but not sure that it's necessary for a six hour stop.

Reaction Score
Do not need them, it might be recommend ... i went to belize....

If only there six hours, no problem

Reaction Score
Three trips...do not eat any ice, make sure your water is bottled and the tops are sealed(not glued) and stay out of the whore houses...you will be fine.....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sounds like the itinerary we were on 2 years ago. The Honduran stop is probably on the Honduran island Roatan and not the mainland. We did not need the shots. A few years before that, we spent a week in the Peruvian Amazon rain forest and some people had gotten malaria shots but most, including us, did not because we were advised that the areas we were going into were far from malarial areas. Of course, there is the "better safe than sorry" school of thought.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I spent 8 days in the rainforests of Belize and Guatemala in May with friends. You do not need any shots, and the water in Belize is safe to drink (it was a British colony until 1983). In fact, I actually drank from three different rivers in Belize (all unintentionally and caused by too many water sport activities) and I was perfectly fine. The food in both countries was fine too and I was never sick.

If you're only in Belize for 6 hours I imagine they have a tour lined up. Avoid Belize City. Get into the country if you can.

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for responding and for all the great information. Just about everyone says no shots or anything is necessary, so that's how we're going to handle it.

Now if I can only find a vaccine that will protect me from my in-laws and my wife's family, I'll be just fine. I imagine it's a big boat and when needed I can just claim that I got lost.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the itinerary we were on 2 years ago. The Honduran stop is probably on the Honduran island Roatan and not the mainland. We did not need the shots. A few years before that, we spent a week in the Peruvian Amazon rain forest and some people had gotten malaria shots but most, including us, did not because we were advised that the areas we were going into were far from malarial areas. Of course, there is the "better safe than sorry" school of thought.
I took a look at the itinerary and it is exactly what you described. The ship stops at Roatan and not the mainland. I've been so crazy busy that I hadn't even been thinking about this vacation. I'm usually the one who does most of the trip planning, but I left this one to my wife and now that I'm taking a close look at it, I'm starting to get excited about this family trip and also realize how unnecessary it was to even worry about worrying about vaccinations. I guess I need this vacation badly. Once I get back it's going to be crazy busy at work, though I have another trip with a buddy of mine, to San Fran to LA (catching the Sox against LAA) at the end of August.

Reaction Score
When my family and I went with friends on a cruise and hit Belize we went on a snorkeling adventure and it wear simply beautiful..........brought us out to a small island a few minutes from town and the fish, colors were out of this world.........my understanding at the time there were many "pirates" robbing certain jungle adventures (may have been rumor and it was 7-8 years ago) so we elected the snorkel affair and were very happy.....have fun DM

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm glad the 'Yard was able to help the OP. It was Belize we could do.

Reaction Score
If one of your choices of an excursion in Belize is cave tubing, do it, you won't regret it.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
First of all, have a great trip DM. I am an Infectious Diseases physician for the Navy and I has a travel clinic. I also have lived in both countries.
There is no yellow fever there. Hepatitis A and typhoid vaccines are recommended.
TdaP vaccine is recommended for all adults, if you haven't had it since it came out.
There is P. vivax malaria in both countries but if you are onboard ship at night, the risk is minimal. Recommend a healthy covering of DEET mosquito repellant whenever you area ashore. This will also help protect against dengue fever. Avoid tap water, salads and fresh veggies and ice cubes. Avoid walking in bare feet on beaches (cutaneous larvae migrans). Always practice safe sex. Try to avoid crowds and folks who are coughing (TB). Street gangs and narcotics smugglers are listed as potential security problems. Rabies is prevalent in dogs and bats, vaccine optional but likely not necessary for short trips.sandflues can carry leishmaniasis...use DEET. Stay safe, HH

Reaction Score
For anyone out there that has gone on cruises that stop in Central America, particularly that had stops in Honduras and Belize, were you recommended to get any vaccinations or any other medicines? We're only stopping in two ports for about 6 hours.

Sister-in-law who's a nurse heard from her doctors that nothing is needed. Wife's cousin from Wisconsin said her doctor had her family get treatments for Malaria and something else (Yellow Fever maybe?). I'll spare you the rest of the details of who found out what.

Anyhow, my wife set up an appointment for us for tomorrow morning and I won't be able to follow-up w/ my own doctor. Give this assignment to her and figured it was a no brainer, but go figure.

Please chime in if you've cruised to or near these places if we really need to pursue any medical stuff. Thanks as always for the great input we always get here.

UConn has a International Travelers Medical Service at the Health Center in Farmington. You can obtain information from them directly or on their web site. Here is the link: http://health.uchc.edu/clinicalservices/travel/index.htm

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I did not update my vaccinations. Went to Roatan/Honduras and Belize City (Costa Maya and Key West too). Made friends with a few couples and rented a driver (expat) for the day on Roatan, he took us all to a private beach and to hang out with some monkeys. We bought beer while we were there, the driver drank a couple himself (while driving, of course). It's close to martial law there - the stores had armed guards to protect their interests. Belize City was interesting. We did cave tubing and the jungle zipline tour, they were both fun. Two things to keep an eye on - one is your wallet. The second one is the the shopkeeper switcheroo. The locals who sell their goods will show you their best quality stuff, and then when they wrap it up they switch it up with a broken/crappier version (or something totally different). One lady tried to pull it on us. If you buy stuff, bargain with the locals. They will sell almost anything for 50-75% of the initial asking price.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For anyone out there that has gone on cruises that stop in Central America, particularly that had stops in Honduras and Belize, were you recommended to get any vaccinations or any other medicines? We're only stopping in two ports for about 6 hours..

I can't answer your question in a manner that would be even remotely helpful to you.

However, you should have a doctor stick a needle right through your forehead to remind you that of all the places to seek advice on your well-being, the Boneyard should not be one of them. Let's be honest - half the nitwits here wouldn't be able to find Belize on a map and the other half might actually try to eat the map.

Reaction Score

When we stopped at Belize, we were encouraged not to leave the dock area. That was about 6 years ago, but I'd be surprised if it's any better. Rough place.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Go to the Centers for Disease Control Immunization webpage. Scroll down the left side column and click on travelers. It is the most comprehensive compilation of information out there and should be what any health care professional consults before advising patients.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom