OT: Going Car Buying | The Boneyard

OT: Going Car Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Round #1234 of this topic.

Requirement: Large sedan, bigger the better. I spend almost 3 hours a day in car and drive about 130 miles a day. Gas mileage of 26-28mpg minimum. Regular gas preferred.

Two teenage kids who are growing.

Drive in Florida along flat (well of course it's flat) roads. No snow or wintry weather requirements.

Looking at Certified Pre Owned vehicles in the 2013-2015 year range. I put almost 35k a year on a car and I don't need to eat up first 40% of depreciation.

Main family hauler is GMC Yukon.

Considering- Toyota Avalon, Buick Lacrosse, Hyundai Genesis, Lexus ES350.

Lexus seems like obvious choice but finding them is difficult. People hold on to them for a reason.

Out of the running- Acura TL, Subaru Legacy, Mazda6, Chrysler 300, Ford Fusion, Checy Impala and Hyundai Sonata.

For those who are shaking their heads like WTF?, wrap it up and don't have kids. For those who are laughing like you've been through this decision, I proudly enter the club of pimp mobiles. I would buy a Roadmaster or Delta88 if they were still for sale.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Requirement: Large sedan, bigger the better. I spend almost 3 hours a day in car and drive about 130 miles a day. Gas mileage of 26-28mpg minimum. Regular gas preferred.

Drive in Florida along flat (well of course it's flat) roads. No snow or wintry weather requirements.

Looking at Certified Pre Owned vehicles in the 2013-2015 year range. I put almost 35k a year on a car and I don't need to eat up first 40% of depreciation.

Lexus seems like obvious choice but finding them is difficult. People hold on to them for a reason.

Out of the running- Acura TL, Subaru Legacy, Mazda6, Chrysler 300, Ford Fusion, Checy Impala and Hyundai Sonata.

For those who are shaking their heads like WTF?, wrap it up and don't have kids. For those who are laughing like you've been through this decision, I proudly enter the club of pimp mobiles. I would buy a Roadmaster or Delta88 if they were still for sale.

Why no Accord? Big enough and always at or near top of class. Holds value the best of the bunch (outside of maybe the Lexus).

Reaction Score

The Hyundai Genesis, it's better than the Lexus in pretty much every measurable, more car for the money.

Reaction Score
Why no Accord? Big enough and always at or near top of class. Holds value the best of the bunch (outside of maybe the Lexus).
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I needed to get a car this past summer and bought a 2 year old certified Honda Accord for a really good price. Great rep, solid mileage and solid value. Their 4 cylinder VTec or whatever they put in the Accords has amazing pickup. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Reaction Score
I'm a car guy and have owned a Lexus GS430, BMW 650ci, Infiniti G37xs, and my newest car Audi S4. First I'm sure the Hyundai is a nice car but it's no Lexus! As you can see I like sporty cars and I think the Audi S4 is the best and of course the fastest at 0-60 in 4.5 sec. However many of these cars use premium surely the S4 w supercharger. But it gets about 24 mpg mixed and 27 highway which isn't too bad. Maybe not for you but for guys who like ultimate driving machines the S4 is hard to beat at $60K. Seats 5 comfortably too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
OP - I want a large, lightly-used family car

Response - Buy a $60,000 car with a super charger that seats five people if three of them are zygotes.

I always wonder if someone thinks they're going to get a definitive answer to such questions here. And if a definitive answer was to be found, how would it be rolled out to the offline characters in the drama?

"Sweetheart, it says here that this guy named "Fishy" thinks we oughta go with the Buick Landsucker. He's got a lot of likes, so I think we should go with it."

Any way, a group of people who willingly spend four days arguing the merits of ketchup should not be expected to morph into Consumer Reports when the stakes get higher. I feel like you should go test drive a bunch of cars and then take the best one out to buy pizza, beer and condiments. We're solid gold on those recommendations.

Reaction Score
Get a Swagger Wagon (Toyota Sienna). I never thought I would own a mini wagon but now I own the roads. Gas mileage might not hold up to your standards but this vehicle is legit! Don't laugh cause I'm serious. Redesigned in 2011 with a sleek new look and I believe they put a Lexus motor in it so it can move. Tons of cool features and super comfortable. There isn't a road trip I can't handle. Trust me on this one.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would buy a Roadmaster or Delta88 if they were still for sale.

Here's the difference between us and them...we spend hours a day in the car and they don't.

If you spend a lot of time in a car, the idea of a large, comfortable sedan is a heck of a lot more appealing.

I've been shopping for a car for about six months and I periodically get advice from a poster I won't name (it's jleves) - he provides me with an endless stream of wee little cars on 50-series tires that would knock my molars out on a daily basis. His commute is 900 yards over glass-like asphalt - he just doesn't know any better.

In short, you need something as close to this as possible....

http://a1.dealerimages.dealereprocess.com/images/c_fit,duckauto,fl_lossy,w_640/v1/dvp/125/238503202/Used-2010-Cadillac-DTS-w1SE-ID238503202

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Amazingly enough, some decent responses.

Some feedback on a couple of the responses-

Camry and Accord- Barely big enough. My son turns 14 in March and is already pushing 6'0" and is on his way to 6'3" minimum. Accords and Camry's are similar sized to Mazda6. Good news is that if I want one, I can get a good CPO anytime. They're not scarce.

Audi S4- Too small right now. Maybe in 6-8 years. I liked the Subaru Legacy 3.6 Limited. Not the right car for me now. The 2015 model refresh has a nice interior and the 3.6L really hooks up with the AWD.

Sienna- Nope. We avoided minivans and won't ever need one. Big SUV with three rows takes care of all long trips and hauling boat as needed.

Fishy and I are in similar situations with long commutes. Comfort is king and his Cadillac pic is spot on. I'd prefer cars that are easy on the wallet for servicing (5-6 oil changes a year) and tires that I can get redone for <$1k (Every two years).

True story. It's 3:30am central time and I was sleeping like crap. I'm typing away on cell phone while sitting on ledge of bath tub. Mrs. Chin wakes up to do her business, looks at me and says "What are you doing?". Rather than explain that I was responding to anonymous car buying advice on a UConn message board at 3:30, I just said " nothing".

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any way, a group of people who willingly spend four days arguing the merits of ketchup should not be expected to morph into Consumer Reports when the stakes get higher. I feel like you should go test drive a bunch of cars and then take the best one out to buy pizza, beer and condiments. We're solid gold on those recommendations.
And poultry!!!

Reaction Score
Curious as to why you eliminated the Impala? I ask because I'm considering one, even though I've been driving Lexus and Acura for the past 20 years.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

The Toyota Avalon is a beautiful car. I do business with a Toyota/Chrysler Jeep dealership. They do not sell very many Avalons. However, it is a gorgeous car. Depending on which one you look at, they are normally equipped like a Mercedes or other high end car. Probably the style of the car doesn't attract people. Don't know.
Anyway good luck.

Reaction Score
Have you considered the cts or xts from Cadillac? I'm not sure on the millage for either but both might be big enough and should be comfortable enough.

Dodge charger and chrystler 300 would also probably be large enough.

There's the ford taurus, 5 series, e class, whatever Lexus offers, you certainly have options. There's those kias that are upmarket from the optima, 10 yrs 100k miles is always a nice warranty to have.

Reaction Score

You won't get 26-28 in one of those land yachts. ;^)

Reaction Score
I've been through this before with family. It already sounds like you've made up your mind in a luxury car so I'd just toss the non-luxury out the window. You can go wast brine test driving them but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Amazingly enough, some decent responses.

Some feedback on a couple of the responses-

Camry and Accord- Barely big enough. My son turns 14 in March and is already pushing 6'0" and is on his way to 6'3" minimum. Accords and Camry's are similar sized to Mazda6. Good news is that if I want one, I can get a good CPO anytime. They're not scarce.

Audi S4- Too small right now. Maybe in 6-8 years. I liked the Subaru Legacy 3.6 Limited. Not the right car for me now. The 2015 model refresh has a nice interior and the 3.6L really hooks up with the AWD.

Sienna- Nope. We avoided minivans and won't ever need one. Big SUV with three rows takes care of all long trips and hauling boat as needed.

Fishy and I are in similar situations with long commutes. Comfort is king and his Cadillac pic is spot on. I'd prefer cars that are easy on the wallet for servicing (5-6 oil changes a year) and tires that I can get redone for <$1k (Every two years).

True story. It's 3:30am central time and I was sleeping like crap. I'm typing away on cell phone while sitting on ledge of bath tub. Mrs. Chin wakes up to do her business, looks at me and says "What are you doing?". Rather than explain that I was responding to anonymous car buying advice on a UConn message board at 3:30, I just said " nothing".

If you're looking for comfortable drive, low maintenance, good mileage, etc, go with a minivan. Get over the perception. There is no better family mover than a minivan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Curious as to why you eliminated the Impala? I ask because I'm considering one, even though I've been driving Lexus and Acura for the past 20 years.

Nothing wrong with Impala. Nice car. I would want a fully loaded model- leather, heated seats, memory seats, V6 engine, etc. For an Impala that starts getting pricey for the options, gas mileage gets suspect and I think there are better options for me at that price range.

Supposedly the 2016 Malibu's are very good. A complete remake from last series and they're supposed to be able to go head to head with Camry and Accord.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been through this before with family. It already sounds like you've made up your mind in a luxury car so I'd just toss the non-luxury out the window. You can go wast brine test driving them but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

I've test driven at least 8 cars from 6 different dealers. I'll look at anything. The nice thing about some near luxury cars is you can pick them up after a 3 year lease for 1/2 the list price when they are new.

For me, I know many of these vehicles were gently used and properly serviced to keep lease valid. Plus, I expect the quality of materials to hold up better.

Reaction Score
Have you considered the Chameleon XLS?

A pristine little beauty just arrived in our showroom.

You’re in the South Bay area, right? Or, maybe you’re closer to the lake? Either way, man, we can deliver!!!

Reaction Score
Have you driven a Genesis? I think it is the best value on the planet in that category. If you like the softer Lexus style ride, you should like the ride of the prior model Genesis, which is what will be avail used. It's not as firm as the German cars, but I found it very comfy on long trips. My lease expired 18 months ago and the only reason I didn't get the new one is because I wanted an SUV. I don't know their prices on resale, but they come with a 100k powertrain warranty. Friends have owned other Hyundais and they had over 150k with zero cost other than routine maintenance.

I've owned the Infiniti M class and bought the Genesis over the E class and 5 series. It was 20k cheaper new...

I would NOT buy an E class--just lease. My neighbor has had numerous issues and after many visits, the service guy asked...why did you buy one, not lease it....no one buys Mercedes because of the repair issues. But, on the other had, the dealer only offered them 17k on the trade for 4 year old car...so they might be affordable

Reaction Score
I've test driven at least 8 cars from 6 different dealers. I'll look at anything. The nice thing about some near luxury cars is you can pick them up after a 3 year lease for 1/2 the list price when they are new.

For me, I know many of these vehicles were gently used and properly serviced to keep lease valid. Plus, I expect the quality of materials to hold up better.
At this point if you're getting a newish car (outside of GM as they rust like crazy in the Northeast), the quality of materials is going to be plenty good. The overall quality in the last 5 years is on a different level altogether than 15-20 years ago. It does seem like you want the nice interiors though, which probably makes sense given the amount of time spent in a car. Lexuses aren't the most fun cars in the world, but they are comfortable. Audi A5 would probably fit what you're looking for too.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
My last four cars were a Olds Intrigue, Chevy Impala, Volvo S60, and I have a Hyundai Sonata Limited now. The Intrigue, used to begin with, started to get to pricey to service, the Impala just didn't hold up... I liked the car a lot but two years in and lots of little things started to go. The interior didn't wear particularly well either. Volvo S60 was fun, fast car, but my children started getting bigger and actually had similar issues to the Impala, although not as bad. The best out of the bunch over all? The Sonata. I'm 6'3" and I'm very comfortable in the Sonata, it's almost as fun to drive as the S60 was. I'm not quite 30k a year, but after 20k in one year the car has held up very well. So I know you ruled out the Sonata, I'd then seriously consider the Genesis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have you driven a Genesis? I think it is the best value on the planet in that category. If you like the softer Lexus style ride, you should like the ride of the prior model Genesis, which is what will be avail used. It's not as firm as the German cars, but I found it very comfy on long trips. My lease expired 18 months ago and the only reason I didn't get the new one is because I wanted an SUV. I don't know their prices on resale, but they come with a 100k powertrain warranty. Friends have owned other Hyundais and they had over 150k with zero cost other than routine maintenance.

I've owned the Infiniti M class and bought the Genesis over the E class and 5 series. It was 20k cheaper new...

I would NOT buy an E class--just lease. My neighbor has had numerous issues and after many visits, the service guy asked...why did you buy one, not lease it....no one buys Mercedes because of the repair issues. But, on the other had, the dealer only offered them 17k on the trade for 4 year old car...so they might be affordable

I'm going to look at a Genesis tonight. The local Hyundai dealer just got in a certified pre-owned over the weekend.

I'm currently driving a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring that has 140k miles on it. I thinks it's a 1.8 or 2.0 4-cyl, gets 30 mpg and has been free of any mechanical issues. But it sucks. I bought it a few years ago after I got rear-ended in my Honda CR-V and it was totaled. I was on a tight timeline and needed something fast. I'm beyond that crap now. I'm approaching black socks with sandals age and posting signs on my lawn warning kids to stay off the grass. I want big and comfy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Toyota Avalon is a beautiful car. I do business with a Toyota/Chrysler Jeep dealership. They do not sell very many Avalons. However, it is a gorgeous car. Depending on which one you look at, they are normally equipped like a Mercedes or other high end car. Probably the style of the car doesn't attract people. Don't know.
Anyway good luck.
I was looking for a good used car in the same category. A loaded Avalon (Limited) is basically a Lexus ES with a little more room in the back seats. I ended up with an ES just because there are a lot more of them out there to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom