OT: Giants or Pats? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants or Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong Pat's fan, so of course I'm going to pick the Pats, but if there was ever a flip of the coin game, this one is it.

My off-the-top-of-my head analysis:

Pats win if:

1. Brady has a Brady type game, unlike what we saw yesterday, despite whatever pressure the G-Men throw at him,
  2. The Pats offensive line blocks like they have most of the season, forcing NY to rush 5 or more.
  3. Pats D continues to play like they have during the playoffs (Note there's been a return of Chung and Spikes and any other players that have returned to the D that I might not have noticed has helped the D go from piss-poor to pretty-good.)
  4. Pats win the take-away battle. This is a game where the team that loses the take-away battle likely loses the game.

Giants win if:

1. G-Men 3 & 4 player pass rush makes the Pats offensive line look like and pressure Brady enough to get into his head.
  2. G-Men control the ball with 3 or more very long sustained drives that end in TDs, keeping Brady off the field.
  3. G-Men dominate the Pats D by running the ball down their throat getting solid chunks of yardage in 1st and 2nd down and Ely shredding the Pats secondary whenever he puts it in the air.
  4. Giants win the take-away battle. This is a game where the team that loses the take-away battle likely loses the game.
This is a game that IMO has the look of one that could easily go either way and could come down to whoever makes the least mistakes and/or loses the least amount of players during the game. The Pats could be in big trouble if they lose any offensive linemen or defensive backs during the game. The G-Men could be in trouble if they lose some key defensive linemen, especially their most dangerous pass rushers. In fact, if either of these two QBs are able to sit back in the pocket and not worry about the rush, they can pick apart to other team's secondary. That's the case with most QBs, but with these two, they're usually surgeon like if allowed to survey the field and deliver the ball.

Reaction Score
^^ Amazing, you must be using dictation software or you can type faster than I read. DogMania you don't need a nick we will know its you.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the outcome, I'm hoping it's a game where the team that wins is the one that simply made more plays and not one of those games where the team that loses is the team that gave the game away.

Both the Pats & Ravens did their best to give that game away. The Ravens were simply better at it yesterday. One could argue that the Ravens actually made more plays than the Pats and still lost. I thought their 2 interceptions, (although the 2nd one was a horrible decision by Brady and the Pats for a number of reasons I won't go into now) were big time plays by their DBs. And their TDs were also some excellent play making and not necessarily Pat's mistakes.

I caught very little of the Giants-49ers game, though one of the two special teams fumbles by that same player sounded like a clear muff while the other one might have been a well executed strip. I'm still inclined to think that no special-teamer should lose the ball in any circumstance since they should know better to protect the ball at all cost since they're usually receiving it on their half of the 50, and receiving it right after their D has been on the field. Giving it up and making your D come right back out there is both physically and mentally taxing.

I'm hoping whoever wins does so by clearly out-playing, out-executing and out-willing their opponent. I'm not saying either team won't make mistakes, but hopefully there will be very few that are of the dumb-ass variety.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not a Giants fan but I say the Giants will win. They are on a roll and I think their defense will knock Brady around. Look for a couple of strips by the Giants pass rushers to decide the game. I'm looking forward to this game. I hate the Pats since they played CT to get a new stadium built in Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
Grew up a Giants fan. Became a Pats fan during the early Brady years.
Really would like to see Brady win, as that makes him the GOAT.
Eli winning makes him a HOF QB.

So, both ways, I'm happy for a guy.

Gotta say my heart's picking Pats but my brain's picking Giants.

Eli is like Kemba, above, is a good analogy.

Reaction Score
Pats 34 Giants 17
Tom Brady MVP

The Pats being a 3 point favorite is begging the betting public to put their money on the Giants. Vegas is smarter than I am at this stuff. Redemption. It's going to be a long 2 weeks, GO PATS!

Reaction Score
Manning TD pass to Nicks with .03 seconds left and the Giants win 24-21

Reaction Score
Been a Pats fan since I was a little kid. The last 11 years have taught me to never count this team out.

I love the Patriots defense is "awful" side of things. This is proof that if you listen to the media enough, you will believe anything. Of course over the last eight regular season games they had more sacks than the vaunted Ravens, but you never hear that. No team scored more than 30 on them even once (Buffalo broke 30 once but that was with 7 from their defense). They shut down running games with strong, gap control defense and they have two stalwarts back in Chung and Spikes who missed a huge part of the season. Suddenly the secondary is playing better with their leader back. It's like, if you take good players off of a team, they will perform worse. Who knew? They give up a ton of yards but not a ton of points. The 01 Patriots could say the same thing. This team doesn't have the names but they are getting the job done.

EDIT: I am not certain they are that different home/road either.

Home: 7-1 (only loss to the Giants) 30.75 points for vs 19.25 points allowed
Road 6-2 (lost at Buffalo and Pittsburgh) 33.38 points for vs 23.5 points allowed

They actually score more away from home, and give up more as well.

This will be a huge challenge for them, not saying it will be a cake walk. It will be a real battle. The Giants have an array of weapons the rival anything the Patriots have seen all year and both teams are riding high.

I typically side with my head in big games, unless my team is involved, then it is all heart baby.

One thing is for certain, it sucks to be a Jets fan right now. Big brother, who you have to share your room with, and your biggest rival from up the road are getting all of the pretty girls while you sit at home wondering why, again, you can't be them.

Reaction Score
Rabid Pats fan here - but the edge absolutely has to go to the Giants. It shows you how much respect the public/oddsmakers have for BB/Brady/Pats that they are actually favored by 3 in this game. Bottom line, Giants have the physical edge, the Pats may have the emotional with 2007 redemption and Myra Kraft. When you look at the facts here, Giants beat them in their house this season, they got them in that 2007 SB, they are red hot having gone through a much better NFC on the road and really don't have much on the weakness end - very balanced.

Either team can win, but Pats have less room for error with that secondary. The Giants are a terrible matchup for them for two reasons - they have what may be the best 3 man WR combo in the NFL and the Pats secondary is makeshift. And the Giants have the one aspect that can neutralize Brady, the Dline/pressure up the middle. Although that didn't happen Sunday and Brady still had a horrible game. The Oline has played great this season, they'll have to keep it up against the Giants and I think they will. I also expect Brady to play much better - I think there was a ton of pressure on him as the 1 seed at home with their recent history. He should be looser and more relaxed in this one - house money to some degree.

Basically for the Pats to win, Brady has to play out of his mind(possible), Oline has to play amazing and defense has to pull something similar to the Ravens game. They have to show the running game. It should be a good one and it's close, so a turnover here or there is going to make the difference. BB should call Shanahan to see what his recipe was this year - half that teams wins were against the Giants.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game? Flacco is very hot and cold. He was pretty good yesterday...not great, but good. They also pretty much shut down Ray Rice, who is a top 3 RB.

Vince Wilfork was great. Teams haven't really been able to get much pressure on the Giants up the middle this year. Anyone who thinks this will be a cakewalk for the Giants is in for a surprise.

Are you kidding me? the defense was geared to not let rice beat them thats why flacco had a "great "game.

Reaction Score
completely agree with this. im not a giants or pats fan but looking at both teams right now the pats defense is terrible and the giants can put up points. the giants defense is going to get after brady. i see giants 31 pats 17
I agree-GMen have as good an offense and a better D. BTW, many in SECT are Giant fans!

Reaction Score
Giants will win 27 to 0.
(one touchdown and ten safeties)
and at halftime Giselle will dump Brady and start dating Eli.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Should be a good one.

As a Sox/Giants fan, I don't have a hatred for the Pats that many NYers have. I respect (and fear) the Pats.

I feel pretty good though. Four years ago, I just wanted a competitive game. This time I think we have at least a 50% shot of taking it.

Our defense is just so much better than the Patriots'. And while the Patties are potent offensively, if you haven't noticed, Eli's turned into a heckuva QB. (And it doesn't hurt that he has the best 1-2 WR duo in the NFL.)

Line says Pats -3. I'll say Giants by 3.

Reaction Score
Giants will win 27 to 0.
(one touchdown and ten safeties)
and at halftime Giselle will dump Brady and start dating Eli.

I can see the appeal for Gisele. He's a world-champion cookie licker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Giants have a much better pass D. Run D is about the same, possibly slight edge to Pats (ignore the stats, most rushing yards against NE come against nickel and dime D). Giants rushing offense is terrible, and the Pats have a much better offensive line. Eli is playing great and has better WR. Pats have the dominant TE, slot receivers and Brady. The RB are a wash, but the Pats O-line blocks better.

Pats by 3. I don't think the Giants can run the ball, or stop the Patriots passing game. The Giants D is good, but not in the same class as the Ravens. If the Pats can mount a pass rush against a weak Giants O-line (Ravens was much better), they can slow the Giants passing game. Eli will still hit a few long ones. Should be a great match-up.

Reaction Score
Go Giants!

Right now on ESPN.com, Connecticut is rooting for the Giants 53-47%, with 5,000 votes cast. We're the only New England state that doesn't root for the Pats, for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Ahmad Bradshaw could play a big role in this superbowl he did have 75 rushing yards against the 49ers he was injured most of the season and was a 1,000 yard back last year, the Giants go with the run to keep the defense honest despite the fact they didnt run the ball very well they havent abandoned the run it will be key to neutralize the pass rush of NE, Bradshaw I could see being involved in some screens, Jacobs will be used more then he was against the 49ers and well see a little bit of Danny Ware.

Reaction Score
Grew up a Giants fan. Became a Pats fan during the early Brady years.
Really would like to see Brady win, as that makes him the GOAT.
Eli winning makes him a HOF QB.

So, both ways, I'm happy for a guy.

Gotta say my heart's picking Pats but my brain's picking Giants.

Eli is like Kemba, above, is a good analogy.

Hate fair weather fans like you so much

Reaction Score
Hate fair weather fans like you so much
What? I was a Giants fan since the days of Mendenhall. Probably 1976 was when I started rooting for them. Stopped watching football around 1990, but I was a Giants fan for those 14 years, rooting the whole time. Picked it up again in the early 2000s watching Brady take over for Bledsoe. Have been a Pats fan since then.

I essentially took 10 years off and then switched allegiances.

Perhaps I'm a turncoat, but is my pattern really your definition of a fair weather fan?

Reaction Score
Giants all the way. After what Kraft did in CT 15 years ago I could never root for any team that creep owns.

caw

Reaction Score
Giants have a much better pass D. Run D is about the same, possibly slight edge to Pats (ignore the stats, most rushing yards against NE come against nickel and dime D). Giants rushing offense is terrible, and the Pats have a much better offensive line. Eli is playing great and has better WR. Pats have the dominant TE, slot receivers and Brady. The RB are a wash, but the Pats O-line blocks better.

Pats by 3. I don't think the Giants can run the ball, or stop the Patriots passing game. The Giants D is good, but not in the same class as the Ravens. If the Pats can mount a pass rush against a weak Giants O-line (Ravens was much better), they can slow the Giants passing game. Eli will still hit a few long ones. Should be a great match-up.

I know the Pats have Welker in the slot, but Cruz is the slot for the Giants. I'm not sure that is a huge advantage for the Pats, if even an advantage.

On the flip side the Pats D is not nearly as good as the 49ers D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom