OT - Giants/Cowboys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Giants/Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Byron Jones was credited with one tackle, might have been on special teams for all I know. As a DB, better not to hear your name called unless you are going to get credit for a pass defensed (NFL.com doesn't have those in their box score) or an INT.
He did give up a key catch on what looked like was going to be the Giants game clinching drive.

Reaction Score
Giants now have the dumbest coaching staff I've ever seen. I thought it couldn't possibly get any dumber then not running it on 3rd and 4th down but telling your back not to score a touchdown takes the cake as the dumbest thing I've ever heard, George DeLeone wouldn't even tell his back that.

Reaction Score
Throwing the ball out of the endzone, while stupid, was not even the stupidest play of the game. The personal foul on the Cowboys should have cost them the game. But the stupidest thing in the game was asking Rashad Jennings not to score on the first two downs of the last series.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ys-was-told-not-score-end-dallas-cowboys-game

Now I understand what happened. I read somewhere else that Eli thought the Cowboys didn't have any more timeouts (when in fact they did), so he told him not to score, thinking that they could run 40 seconds off the clock. But he was wrong and they did have timeouts
Giants now have the dumbest coaching staff I've ever seen. I thought it couldn't possibly get any dumber then not running it on 3rd and 4th down but telling your back not to score a touchdown takes the cake as the dumbest thing I've ever heard, George DeLeone wouldn't even tell his back that.

My understanding is that it wasn't the coaches.. it was Eli.. he thought the Cowboys didn't have any more timeouts, when in fact they did

Reaction Score
George DeLeone wouldn't even tell his back that.

GDL has his own problems in Cleveland, which sound somewhat familiar...

"The Browns gained 104 rushing yards but averaged fewer than 4 yards per attempt and saw their running backs account for just 46 yards on 20 carries. Quarterbacks Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel combined for 58 yards to lead the team.

“I didn’t think we were doing a very good job blocking at the point of attack. Our pad level wasn’t great. We were getting knocked back at times.”

Reaction Score
The bad pass interference call that earlier went against the Giants is as much to blame as the last sequence. No case could be made for it, it was a 3rd down stop. Some calls are borderline this wasn't.

Reaction Score
The bad pass interference call that earlier went against the Giants is as much to blame as the last sequence. No case could be made for it, it was a 3rd down stop. Some calls are borderline this wasn't.

True.. that was absolutely awful.. some of my friends who are Dallas fans were even laughing at the homecooking

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
True.. that was absolutely awful.. some of my friends who are Dallas fans were even laughing at the homecooking

I'm still shocked at how many bad calls go through each week. I hate stopping the game every 2 seconds for review, but there has to be a solution for some of these back breaker plays that are clearly missed (as seen on replay).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I read somewhere else that Eli thought the Cowboys didn't have any more timeouts (when in fact they did) But he was wrong and they did have timeouts

My understanding is that it wasn't the coaches.. it was Eli.. he thought the Cowboys didn't have any more timeouts, when in fact they did

hqdefault.jpg

btw, typing "Eli Manning Face" in google image search is hilarious.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Eli was on Francesa this afternoon and said they decided to try not to score on 1st and 2nd down if the Cowboys let them score. That makes absolutely no sense. There's no way a team would let their opponent score and go down by 10 pts. They even said it on the telecast. The Cowboys were playing to force a field goal so they'd have a chance to win with a touchdown and point after. There's no way the Cowboys would think they could allow the Giants to score and hope to score twice in a minute.

What the hell were Eli and the coaches thinking? Why would they think the Cowboys would let them score?

I said at the time, run it again on 3rd down, and again on 4th. If you don't make it, the Cowboys are pinned on the one or two yard line with about 40 seconds left and no timeouts. Game over

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You are either too young to remember or have forgotten about the Miracle of the Meadowlands when all the Giants had to was snap the ball and kneel down to win, yet ran a play. Joe Pisarcik botched the snap and fumbled and the Eagles ran it in for the victory.

I'll never forget the play. The Giants had sucked for a long time and Joe Pisarcik was a stiff but my Dad, a lifelong Giants fan, was so happy the Giants were about to upset the Eagles and keep them from making the playoffs. And then that happened. I literally thought my Dad was about to get sick to his stomach and puke. It was the most awesome gut punch for Giants fan that can only be equaled by the misery which has been dealt to Vikings fans.

Reaction Score
Eli was on Francesa this afternoon and said they decided to try not to score on 1st and 2nd down if the Cowboys let them score. That makes absolutely no sense. There's no way a team would let their opponent score and go down by 10 pts. They even said it on the telecast. The Cowboys were playing to force a field goal so they'd have a chance to win with a touchdown and point after. There's no way the Cowboys would think they could allow the Giants to score and hope to score twice in a minute.

What the hell were Eli and the coaches thinking? Why would they think the Cowboys would let them score?

I said at the time, run it again on 3rd down, and again on 4th. If you don't make it, the Cowboys are pinned on the one or two yard line with about 40 seconds left and no timeouts. Game over

Clock stops on change of possession so it's irrelevant to run or throw on 4th down. That being said, I wouldn't have gone for it on 4th -you have to take the 3 and make them score a touchdown to beat you. The biggest problem was the incomplete pass- should have taken the sack.

Reaction Score
yeah, eli admitting that he told jennings not to score blows my mind...

in uconn-related news, i was watching the falcons/eagles game last night (trying to scope out next week's giants match-up...) and that guy nick williams got a reception or two. i don't follow connecticut football like i follow the basketball teams, but that was kinda nice to see.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You are either too young to remember or have forgotten about the Miracle of the Meadowlands when all the Giants had to was snap the ball and kneel down to win, yet ran a play. Joe Pisarcik botched the snap and fumbled and the Eagles ran it in for the victory.

I'll never forget the play. The Giants had sucked for a long time and Joe Pisarcik was a stiff but my Dad, a lifelong Giants fan, was so happy the Giants were about to upset the Eagles and keep them from making the playoffs. And then that happened. I literally thought my Dad was about to get sick to his stomach and puke. It was the most awesome gut punch for Giants fan that can only be equaled by the misery which has been dealt to Vikings fans.

Apparently you forgot the play. ;)

Joe P botched the handoff to Larry Czonka and Herman Edwards took to the House.

Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands_fumble.png

Ya can't forget the Czonka part.

Reaction Score
Apparently you forgot the play. ;)

Joe P botched the handoff to Larry Czonka and Herman Edwards took to the House.

Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands_fumble.png

Ya can't forget the Czonka part.
One of the most important plays in Giants history. It was this play, which pissed off the fan base to an incredible degree, that forced the Giants to clean house, and get serious about winning. George Young, and Ray Perkins came in the next year, and things began to get fixed. They've been one of the league's most successful franchises since then. The Eagles, who had been dogcrap for as long as the Giants, used the same game to springboard them to becoming one of the league's elite teams over the next few seasons.

Reaction Score
A similarly bad call was the complete whiff on the holding on Dez in the endzone on their earlier drive. When the QB throws a jump ball to the receiver, the defender cannot just hold the guy from jumping.

But let's play your game and pretend that was the only bad call in the game.

Reaction Score
The mind-numbing part is clearly the fact that the Giants were not confident enough in their D to hold a 10 point lead with under 2 minutes to play.
Telling your guy not to score when it's a tie game, maybe.
But when a score will put you up a touchdown and a FG with under 2 minutes to play, why would possibly tell the RB not to score? It's Romo on the other side - not Elway.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The worst play or rule to me was the penalty on Dallas when Odell caught the ball at the three for the first down. Giants decline the penalty but by rule the clock is stopped and Dallas saves the timeout. A team should never be rewarded with a clock stoppage for a penalty, especially one that was declined. Basically Dallas saved s timeout. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The fault is with the coach.

The drive had worked out perfectly until the third down play.

That play should have been a run. Run on that down and they win the game. Period.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The call on DRC was horrific. I don't think he even touched the receiver.

You can argue if you think there was enough there to throw the flag, but NBC showed the alternate angle later in the quarter where DRC clearly has his hand wrapped around the shoulder of Terrance Williams. You can say he didn't tug on it if you want, but to say there was zero contact is just not true.

Reaction Score
Even though the call should have been a run, it sucks that the refs had to blow a defensive holding call on the pass that literally allowed Romo to go for a subsequent TD drive. Glad to know that Coughlin and Eli's boneheaded clock management skills aren't the only thing to blow the game for the Giants.

And DRC just made a great defensive play, there was absolutely no PI and it wasn't really close. And if everyone already thought that there was no PI to begin with, the NFL admitting it completely cements it. They aren't exactly known to admit their own mistakes very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom