OT: Geno | The Boneyard

OT: Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to confess that I used to think Geno was a buffoon. I also thought he was a great recruiter but not such a great teacher or strategist.

Now, I think he's a great coach, a pretty damn good philosopher, and a terrific entertainer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i love how they play... the ball never stops, they have multiple options per play or they take the shot if it's there, they get out and run, they play hard both ends of the floor, and they dont stop running

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's a compelling character. Being half-Irish and half- Italian, I feel kindred with both Calhoun's spirit and his. I enjoy watching both immensely.

But Geno has mastered the PR. He's essentially co-producing and starring in this broadcast. Pretty amazing IMO.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's a compelling character. Being half-Irish and half- Italian, I feel kindred with both Calhoun's spirit and his. I enjoy watching both immensely.

But Geno has mastered the PR. He's essentially co-producing and starring in this broadcast. Pretty amazing IMO.

And Henry's Hill's, presumably.

The other day, Geno said something about how the UConn coaching staff does things nobody else does. I wonder what he meant by that exactly.

Reaction Score
He's left me scratching my head in end of game situations but that happens once or twice every few years. He has the most talent but clearly he's a master motivator, game planner and tactician. It's not fair to compare women's bball to men's but as for anyone saying he wins because he has the most talent, well the same goes for John Wooden. If he wants it, Geno will win 15 National Championships. Well done.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Geno is what happens when the guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room actually turns out to be the smartest guy in the room.

And, of course, what happens when the best coach gets the best players and then makes them better faster than anyone else.

Reaction Score
He has the best players but their ball movement and playmaking is special. He teaches them and they get it.

Reaction Score
geno is absolutely awesome, i can understand why opponents fans might not like him but i cant understand how anyone on here could dislike him unless they are just an insecure mens only fan or something

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The ball never stops moving its liken watching barcelona soccer or the Spurs in the NBA. That's how it should be played

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Think he means to say UConn is 28-7 combined. Not really sure though.....

Yeah. Would've been clearer had he said "28-5 during FF weekend" or similar as many folks just take FF as meaning the Saturday (men's)/Sunday (women's) games.

Reaction Score
geno is absolutely awesome, i can understand why opponents fans might not like him but i cant understand how anyone on here could dislike him unless they are just an insecure mens only fan or something

I respect everything he has done and continues to do as a coach and for the school. However, I had the misfortune of sitting across the aisle from him on an airplane and he is an insufferable, arrogant windbag. One of those entitled types that think the rules apply to everyone but himself such as refusing to get off his phone after being asked five times by the flight attendant and then giving her a hard time about it.

I primarily pay attention to the men's team but catch the women now and then and was rooting them on last night. Geno is unparalleled as a coach in the women's game, is among the best in any sport and is an asset to UConn. Is he necessarily a great person? Maybe not.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
@Tim_Fontenault: Basketball national championships by school since 1995: UConn (14), Tennessee (5), Duke/Kentucky (3)

Whats even better is, even if we took out the women's impressive 10 championships, the men by themselves would still be second on that list.

Jim

Reaction Score
Whats even better is, even if we took out the women's impressive 10 championships, the men by themselves would still be second on that list.
No, UCONN would still be first. Those five Tennessee championships were on the women's side.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah. Would've been clearer had he said "28-5 during FF weekend" or similar as many folks just take FF as meaning the Saturday (men's)/Sunday (women's) games.

Nah, somebody would say that "weekend" is only Saturday & Sunday, claim a record of 14-5, and completely confuse things.

Reaction Score
Anyone else see that closeup of him last night when they finally called a foul on ND? Looked like he was saying "it's about f*'in time!" . I admit there have been times I disliked him, but not these days. The guy obviously is a brilliant coach & motivator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom