OT: Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
geno is absolutely awesome, i can understand why opponents fans might not like him but i cant understand how anyone on here could dislike him unless they are just an insecure mens only fan or something

Or you could dislike him if you just think he comes off like a jerk.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
geno is absolutely awesome, i can understand why opponents fans might not like him but i cant understand how anyone on here could dislike him unless they are just an insecure mens only fan or something
He is an awesome coach and probably a great teacher. I've heard stories that give me pause about him as a person.

I respect everything he has done and continues to do as a coach and for the school. However, I had the misfortune of sitting across the aisle from him on an airplane and he is an insufferable, arrogant windbag. One of those entitled types that think the rules apply to everyone but himself such as refusing to get off his phone after being asked five times by the flight attendant and then giving her a hard time about it.

I primarily pay attention to the men's team but catch the women now and then and was rooting them on last night. Geno is unparalleled as a coach in the women's game, is among the best in any sport and is an asset to UConn. Is he necessarily a great person? Maybe not.

Given stories I've heard from people who I take seriously AND who have had personal run-ins with him, I can believe this. I don't know what his criteria is, but he comes off as thinking certain people are beneath him. It's not enough to seriously hurt the program, but I know for a fact that the school has lost donations as a direct result.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
ND had an inbounds play that I'm sure resulted in a layup all year. Last night, the switch taking it away was so smooth it had me going to the rewind to make sure I saw it right. That's good coaching.

Reaction Score
Geno is easy to love and to hate, depending on who you root for. He's done an absolutely remarkable job building a program from truly nothing to the very top of the game. Like him or not, we have something in Storrs you may never see again.

He's a great recruiter - in two respects. He obviously gets superior talent, but he also focuses on a certain "type." He's been pretty candid that not everyone can play for him, and he wants kids - and parents - who completely buy in to his vision. And that vision is a quest for perfection. He wants his kids to play a certain way, every play of every game. He pushes and needles and prods his players to their absolute limits to get the very most out of them, and during the process it's often not pleasant. Even a favorite like Taurasi said in the recent interview that she dreaded going to practice. Lobo thought about transferring. But as you can see from the alumni in the stands, the kids are UConn family for life.

I think he and CD are also superb game tacticians. He develops effective game plans and adjusts very well during contests. It's not an accident he's undefeated in title games. He flat out-coached Summit their championship games.

Geno is also extremely entertaining and quick with one-liners. It just naturally pours out of him. Like anyone ad-libbing, some are hilarious and some miss the mark. Again, it's part of the reason some love and some hate him.

Is he brash? Hell, yeah. I'm not sure he could have accomplished what he's done if he weren't a cocky guy. At the same time, I've had an opportunity to talk to him at meet and greets, and he's extremely personable in that type of venue. You take the good and bad with everyone, and Connecticut has a treasure in him. We are so very, very fortunate to have he and JC leave their legacies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom