OT: French Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: French Open

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Day is done; gone the sun.

It's 11pm in Paris and everything scheduled is complete; no darkness suspensions.

He doesn't have the centuries old fame of Marco Polo, but there is another Marco--Cecchinato, i.e.--who just went from an obscure #72 ranking to conqueror of Novak in straight sets. Very few Italians have cracked the semifinals of a major, but, hey, how many went to China and made a name for himself?
Next for him on Friday is Dominic Thiem, the Austrian who beat his fellow German speaker in straight sets. Sadly for Alexander Zverev,
his hamstring hobbled him somewhat.

As it does to us all, age is claiming the Williams Sisters, and we have been wondering what Americans will be stepping in.
The timing looks propitious about now. Back at last year's US Open, two Americans vied for the crown and neither was named Williams.
And they are back. Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens both advance in straight sets. They must meet each other next, so one will be in the finals.

Tomorrow' schedule:
Order of Play: Wednesday June 6 - Roland-Garros - The 2018 French Open official site

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Simona Halep made a nightmare start to her quarter-final with Angelique Kerber before hitting back to win in three sets. The world number one lost the first four games on Court Philippe Chatrier and had a simple explanation for how she turned it around. Asked what the wrong and right tactics were, the top seed said: "The wrong tactic was that I missed everything. And the right tactic was that I didn't miss anymore."

How funny is that? I assume she answered the question in English - and hopefully she intended it to be funny, because it is. Pretty hard to make a dry, sarcastic joke about the quality of your play in an on the spot interview NOT in your native language! Good for her!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Late in the day was a washout for the men. Rafa finally lost a set, but leads in the 2nd.
Cilic & del Potro are 5-5 in the 1st set tiebreaker.
Halep started slowly, came back from 0-4, but couldn't finish it. Nonetheless she walloped Kerber
afterwards. And speaking of being walloped, Garbine won over Maria for the first time.

Your Thurs schedule
Order of Play: Thursday June 7 - Roland-Garros - The 2018 French Open official site

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
After yesterday's washout. the men's quarters are done with Nadal & del Potro both taking 4 sets to win.
Muguruza and Halep are about to take the court, followed by Sloane vs. Madison.

Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens is not going anywhere. And she is doing it her way. She won yesterday's match against Keys without a single ace, only nine winners, and never seemed threatened.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane Stephens is not going anywhere. And she is doing it her way. She won yesterday's match against Keys without a single ace, only nine winners, and never seemed threatened.

And that's because Madison had about 4x the unforced errors as did Sloane, a player who tests one's patience. She gets Simona (another player who tests one's patience) at Saturday's breakfast at Roland Garros. You won't believe how long the points will be.
It will be somebody's first win there.
Meanwhile Sunday's breakfast features Rafa(ho hum) vs Thiem.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Now, you must wait until next month for strawberries and cream, but grab your coffee and popcorn and watch Sloane at work. RIGHT NOW!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now, you must wait until next month for strawberries and cream, but grab your coffee and popcorn and watch Sloane at work. RIGHT NOW!
So far she looks good. Halep only gets into points when Sloane gets careless. No real weapons to hurt her. Up 4-2 with a break in 1st set. Halep must be under incredible pressure in trying to win her first grand slam after coming so closes many times.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sloane started strong... and I think she'll lose. 3rd set is about to start

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorry Sloane lost but if it had to be to someone, I am glad it was Halep who had such brutal results in prior grand slams
Sloane will learn from this. She needs to mix offense and defense better. You can't rely on your opponent making mistakes.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Here's an oddity. Concerning broadcasting. As the match began my screen showed a brilliant red brick surface. But the ball was faint against it. I lost the bounce sometimes. Then the clay came through brown, and I could follow the ball better. Then an apparent change of filter, and we are back to bright red, only this time the ball was clearer. So I applaud the technicians who found and fixed things.

One of the talking heads quoted Sloane's coach as saying, "When you play Halep, you must play her for the whole match".
He could just as well say, especially when you are up a set and an early break.
I agree with eebmg that I am happy that Halep broke through, following in the footsteps of the Woz, also an often #1 player who could not secure a Major title until recently.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very happy for Halap. She's such a class act and plays so hard.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, we exit from Roland Garros for a year. The King of Clay persists, securing his 11th crown. Surely more than even Queen Elizabeth has. When you consider that not only has he 11 championships here, but also 11 each from 2 important lead-in events to the French, and 19 Majors total, including a career Grand slam, you have to say, as Geno said about Diana, that there will never be another Rafa.
(How's that for a run on sentence.)
His Austrian opponent relies on a powerful forehand and a monster first serve. To make a go of it, he needed a high 1st serve percentage. Not good enough today.
There was an uh oh moment early in the 3rd set, when Rafa went to the bench to get fingers on his service hand retaped. There was an apparent numbness. No matter, for he finished things off with 2 service breaks there and won in 3.
Since his 1st crown at age 19, Rafa has one lone hiccup--a puzzling defeat by Robin Soderling (who promptly celebrated by having a few months of conjugal bliss with the Big Bang Theory's Penny, then never heard from again).

Roger awaits, and really, who will prevent that meeting?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A surgical dismantling. Rafa's backhand has never been better getting great angle and variety. The best of the best keep improving. Thiem needs to get his emotions and his body language under better control but he is definitely talented.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
And that's because Madison had about 4x the unforced errors as did Sloane, a player who tests one's patience. She gets Simona (another player who tests one's patience) at Saturday's breakfast at Roland Garros. You won't believe how long the points will be.
It will be somebody's first win there.
Meanwhile Sunday's breakfast features Rafa(ho hum) vs Thiem.

What is interesting is that Sloane is a "backgboard" player in many ways - chases every ball down, does not have the big weapon of other players (e.g., Graf's forehand, Martina's volley, Serena's serve, etc.). So is Halep, in a lot of ways. And so is Caroline Wozniacki. They do have power on their shots, but they are more known for extending rallies, shot placement, etc. All three also have to be in phenomenal physical shape, even by the standards of a professional athlete.

All three have combined to win the last three Grand Slam tournaments (Sloane - 2017 US Open; Woz - 2018 Australian Open; Halep - 2018 French Open).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What is interesting is that Sloane is a "backgboard" player in many ways - chases every ball down, does not have the big weapon of other players (e.g., Graf's forehand, Martina's volley, Serena's serve, etc.). So is Halep, in a lot of ways. And so is Caroline Wozniacki. They do have power on their shots, but they are more known for extending rallies, shot placement, etc. All three also have to be in phenomenal physical shape, even by the standards of a professional athlete.

All three have combined to win the last three Grand Slam tournaments (Sloane - 2017 US Open; Woz - 2018 Australian Open; Halep - 2018 French Open).
I am far from a tennis expert. I was a big fan of tennis during the Laver era and forward when players had to have big weapons in order to win consistently. I gradually lost interest when the US changed from having generally grass and hardcourt/concrete surfaces to composite surfaces which made tennis a more ecumenical game. To my eyes it also favored "backboard" style players, took the advantage away from US, British and Aussie players and made the game boring and repetitive in my eyes. I was glad to see players like Serena and Venus enter the game, who with their big serves played more of that old school, serve and volley game I enjoyed. Which is one of the reasons I fervently wish for Serena to return to top form.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom