OT: French Open | The Boneyard

OT: French Open

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We have a beginning via the thread on Serena. Here's some non-Serena previews.

Roger at 36 or 37 is skipping the whole clay court season, his least favorite surface. No mystery there as he tunes for the W. A French hope, Jo Willy Tsonga is out with injury. Add Milos Raonic, Juan Del Potro, Andy Murray to the disabled list.

Now odds makers say you must wager 250 bucks on Rafa if you want to win 100. Other favorites, like Zverev and Thiem and Novak are listed at 7-1 or 8-1.

On the women's side there is one significant non-participant, Agnes Radwanska.
There have been 6 different winners this decade, so without Serena, the field is wide open.
In seeding order, there's Halep, The Woz, Muguruza, Svitolina, Ostapenko, Pliskova, Garcia, Kvitová,
Venus and Sloane as the top 10.
All of the 1st 7, except Ostapenko, are in contention for the #1 ranking.

More to come.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The odds on America's female heavyweights:
Serena...10-1
Venus ...40-1
Sloane...40-1
Madison...50-1
Coco...80-1

Halep & Svitolina, on top, are both about 6-1.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
correction...
I had Juan del Potro out because of a groin tear. Apparently he's sticking it out.

And my paper says NBC takes over from Tennis Channel at noon tomorrow.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena in straight sets, but they were close. Sharapova has a 28 seeding and needed 3 sets vs. an unranked.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I just got home and learned that the Sisters won their 1st doubles match. All I can do is hope the Tennis Channel gives us a replay.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena is ending the day. She's dropped the first set but leading in set 2.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Sisters are on to Round 3, this time without blowing the 1st set.

Also it was a bad day to be a #4 seed. Some thought Svitolina was a good choice to be on top. Nah.
Nobody thought Dimitrov would unseat Rafa, but now he doesn't get the chance.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane had a tough one vs. the Italiana Camilia Giorgi, needing to win 8 games at the end.
#8 Kvitová gone is 2 tiebreakers.

Serena is scheduled vs. #11 Gorges about 11 EDT.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sloane had a tough one vs. the Italiana Camilia Giorgi, needing to win 8 games at the end.
#8 Kvitová gone is 2 tiebreakers.

Serena is scheduled vs. #11 Gorges about 11 EDT.

Saw the Sloane match. She has every stroke but she plays so defensively at times it drives me insane. I know it is her style to use her defense and wait for her opponent to miss hit but if she wants to be a real major threat, she needs to get more offensive.

Thanks for the heads up for Serena. If she wins, she is up against Sharapova who dominated Pliskova 6-2, 6-1 which would be a great match.

Reaction Score
Saw the Sloane match. She has every stroke but she plays so defensively at times it drives me insane. I know it is her style to use her defense and wait for her opponent to miss hit but if she wants to be a real major threat, she needs to get more offensive.

Every once in a while she'll open up with some power, but you can tell the mentality doesn't really come naturally to her. Which is funny because she actually has a lot of power when she wants to use it, especially on the forehand.

The inability to confidently take to the offensive is why she has the most trouble with defensive players like Wozniacki, Radwanska, Halep, etc. You can't out defend those players, but Sloane tries and almost inevitably fails.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Thanks for the heads up for Serena. If she wins, she is up against Sharapova who dominated Pliskova 6-2, 6-1 which would be a great match.
Against Williams, Sharapova's lost before she throws a practice toss.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Against Williams, Sharapova's lost before she throws a practice toss.

This time around Serena has installed Maria as the favorite, noting that the Russian is further along in her comeback.
Madison Keys starts the 5am schedule; the Sisters taking the court about 8:30.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The 1st 2 men to earn the quarters are Alexander Zverev and Doninic Thiem. The latter prevailing over veteran Kei Nishikori in 4.
Hard to know what to make of Zverev, needing 5 sets 3 matches in a row. Is he showing high conditioning level and stamina that will serve him well? Or will he be in trouble as opponents presumably get tougher?

The Sisters are now moved from 8:30 to 9:30..

Madison raced through set one, but got in trouble in set 2. Pulled out a 6-4 win, though.

NBC takes over coverage at noon.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Simona Halep had little trouble with Elise Mertens, yielding a mere 3 games.

Ah, but the suspense was far greater when the Woz and Daria Kasatkina found darkness descending yesterday. Daria needed a tiebreaker to squeeze through set 1 vs. the #2 seed. The slugging continued this am, 30 stroke points became commonplace.
Daria began serve and took her 2 service games and the lone one of Woz's for a 6-3 victory to put her in the quarters for her 1st time in a major.

Serena & Maria were to have begun as I write, but Little Sis has announced a withdrawl due to a pectoral injury.

Rafa is through in straight sets, although he was pushed into a tiebreaker in set 3. Big deal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm rooting hard for Halep. I love to see her get off the schneid.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tuesday morning Madison goes up against unseeded Yulia Putintseva, the best player in all of Kazakhstan.
Sloane gets the conqueror of the Woz, Daria Kasatkina Expect tons of loooong rallies.

Muguruza won 2 games and then her opponent retired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom