OT: Florida Gulf Coast University | The Boneyard

OT: Florida Gulf Coast University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know there has been some chatter about them due to their women's team and Mel, but their men's team just became the 1st 15 seed to ever make the Sweet 16. (and they looked really REALLY good doing it too)

This really is the best three weeks of the year...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since the UConn guys aren't playing this year I've adopted FGCU as the team I'm going to root for. Partly due to the Mel connection but mostly because they're fun to watch and their excitement at winning each game. UConn fans can be jaded about winning a second round game; I loved watching those guys doing their eagle dance and hugging like they'd won the championship. Great stuff.

CHICKEN-DANCE.gif

Husky4Life

ibleedblue
Reaction Score
FGCU has been really fun to watch during the tournament. I find myself rooting for them too, Nan.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Funny, I thought those were penguins waddling around.

The team is really fun, however.

Reaction Score
I happen to be in southwest Florida and FGCU is getting a ton of press for their win in the first round. The 11 pm news opened with the details of thier win over Georgetown and pieces on fan reaction, the uptick in sales of team logo shirts, etc.
Tonight I just happened to be in a sports bar when they beat San Diego State. The place was rockin! Lots of fun to see local folks jumpin on the band wagon. I'm waiting for the 11 pm news to come on to see how much air time they give the team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They are the most compelling thing to happen to college hoop in a few years.

They're a 15-seed and they are not squeaking by - they are humiliating people with their high-wire act.

They're a lot of fun, they have character and they produce story lines like they're making them up for a tv movie....

School just came into existence - check.
Overlooked players, transfers, walk-ons - check.
Young coach with an interesting backstory that includes becoming a self-made millionaire before chasing a hoop dream - check.
Former model wife in the stands - check.
And, finally, crashing into the Sweet Sixteen like a cannonball - check.

Someone buy the rights to this one. The movie will write itself.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Since the UConn guys aren't playing this year I've adopted FGCU as the team I'm going to root for. Partly due to the Mel connection but mostly because they're fun to watch and their excitement at winning each game. UConn fans can be jaded about winning a second round game; I loved watching those guys doing their eagle dance and hugging like they'd won the championship. Great stuff.

CHICKEN-DANCE.gif

I seriously love watching them. Obviously Oregon is my team right now, but I'm totally and completely on the FGCU bandwagon

Reaction Score
They are the most compelling thing to happen to college hoop in a few years.

They're a 15-seed and they are not squeaking by - they are humiliating people with their high-wire act.
They now have their own video called "Dunk City" with a sound track. Check it out.
DUNK CITY

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the FGCU story because of the style of basketball they play. They play a wide open game relying on their guards to get the ball to the right person. Haven't seen the physical rough style of play in their games that most of the other games in this tournament have been. Like the women's game, the men's game has turned into a physical rough style of play were there is a foul on almost every possession. I've heard and read where some experts/commentators have said the College Game is more physical then the Pro Game. I believe it.

I wish the FGCU women's team had made the tournament. Who knows, even though they lost in the WNIT, they might have been able to win in the NCAA's. I'm sure they didn't want to be in the WNIT as they thought with the year they were having they were going to the NCAA's.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Largely because of Mel, I was aware of these guys. Both the men's and women's teams have achieved respectability. Don't underestimate either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom