OT: Florence (Hurricane) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Florence (Hurricane)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I can't believe we closed early today; there is a slight breeze, it's cloudy and no rain until late tonight. It's downright ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I have a sister in NC and a niece in SC both in the cross-hairs, so I'm praying and hoping for leniency. However, while this is a serious matter to me, I felt it important and potentially valuable to help out by sending them the following guide so that they might be able to make educated and well thought out decisions regarding the storm's severity.

upload_2018-9-14_17-21-20.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I doubt things will be any better in riverfront towns for a few days. The storm will pass over (slowly) and start dumping water into the piedmont, which has to get to the ocean, presumably via rivers. Places like Belhaven, New Bern, Wilmington have a tough road ahead of them. I heard the mayor of New Bern say they've had 1200 calls for rescue. I really don't understand people wanting to stay put through something like this.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can't believe we closed early today; there is a slight breeze, it's cloudy and no rain until late tonight. It's downright ridiculous.

Well all of the school systems in the Piedmont closed today.... and alot closed yesterday. It hasnt rained here at all.... just real windy.... the Sun came out for a bit. I know alot of parents were probably not happy about the schools closing...... but I guess once you announce they are closed... you cant go back and change it after the forecast changes. Im just happy the restaurants aint closed today :cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have a sister in NC and a niece in SC both in the cross-hairs, so I'm praying and hoping for leniency. However, while this is a serious matter to me, I felt it important and potentially valuable to help out by sending them the following guide so that they might be able to make educated and well thought out decisions regarding the storm's severity.

Very helpful, thanks very much. I think I can get the cats to cooperate while I'm holding them aloft in the next storm.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I doubt things will be any better in riverfront towns for a few days. The storm will pass over (slowly) and start dumping water into the piedmont, which has to get to the ocean, presumably via rivers. Places like Belhaven, New Bern, Wilmington have a tough road ahead of them. I heard the mayor of New Bern say they've had 1200 calls for rescue. I really don't understand people wanting to stay put through something like this.

There is a series that comes on NC Public TV called Exploring NC.... and they have been doing shows about water in NC, and how rivers have shaped our state. Ironically last nights episode talked about river front cities like New Bern, Wilmington, Little Washington, Elizabeth City and so on. Im more of a mountain person, but Ive said to myself I need to check out more of the eastern part of the state and the charming and beautiful riverfront/beach towns like Belhaven, Bath, Southport, Beaufort et al. I just hope they they arent too heavily damaged

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well all of the school systems in the Piedmont closed today.... and alot closed yesterday. It hasnt rained here at all.... just real windy.... the Sun came out for a bit. I know alot of parents were probably not happy about the schools closing. but I guess once you announce they are closed... you cant go back and change it after the forecast changes. Im just happy the restaurants aint closed today :cool:

I had to let some of my staff bring their children in with them the last few days or we wouldn't have been adequately staffed. Schools have been closed in the eastern half of the state since Tuesday.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can't ever remember this ever happening before

It would seem Flo is (yawn) old news huh. Not for me and the coverage gives fascinating looks into human nature and most or unflattering. I awoke this morning to the 4 channel Weather Channel coverage interviewing a semihysterical women , presumably on her cell phone video, as she stood in the wreckage of the upper story of her mostly steel and glass palace, with drapes booming out of the now glassless picture window frames. She was still worried that the whole thing might collapse around her. Asked gently why she was there she said it could take a week or two before they could get back in and her husband was a doctor. Okay ...? That was it.

Meanwhile it is people like them that has a friend of my wife, a co-worker, absolutely livid, because her daughter is in the Coast Guard and is there in the middle of all that saving those dumb butts, wading in snake and gator infested water.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It would seem Flo is (yawn) old news huh. Not for me and the coverage gives fascinating looks into human nature and most or unflattering.

Just waiting.... watching local coverage and college football. The worst (flooding) is yet to come. From the mountains to the sea, no part of NC will be left untouched before all is said an done. Its been raining off and on all day here.... but nothing too bad, nothing that would make you think of a tropical storm. That comes later tonight and most of Sunday. They still are calling for 6-10 inches of rain here.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was watching LSU beat Auburn and it seemed like the local CBS affiliate would show their "Breaking News on Tropical Storm Florence" during every football stoppage, including halftime. I'm sorry, repeating the same forecast and showing the massive flooding in the eastern part of the state is not Breaking News at this point. And the forecasts are educated guesses at best, imo.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just waiting.... watching local coverage and college football. The worst (flooding) is yet to come. From the mountains to the sea, no part of NC will be left untouched before all is said an done. Its been raining off and on all day here.... but nothing too bad, nothing that would make you think of a tropical storm. That comes later tonight and most of Sunday. They still are calling for 6-10 inches of rain here.

Be safe foodie. I know you have plenty of victuals.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Be safe foodie. I know you have plenty of victuals.

No bread in the store friday night...... well they did have some gluten free non-sense available.... and one pack of potato hamburger buns Head bang

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

As I explained to Rocky Mtn Blue when he posted this video in another thread, the guys in the background are most likely in the eye of the storm. It is safe and cozy there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No bread in the store friday night. well they did have some gluten free non-sense available.... and one pack of potato hamburger buns Head bang

Yeah, those are two of my favorites too! 1507308882603-bad-mouth.png

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Have not heard from our Carolina friends in a few days. The storm is over, but the danger is not over yet. Hope y'all are safe and dry. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom