OT: Florence (Hurricane) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Florence (Hurricane)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
People are definitely taking this yamp seriously....went to the grocery store this evening to pick up some peanut butter, jelly, and spam... and the lines were so long at the checkout counters, that I walked back out. Walgreens was out of water... wont get a shipment in until Wednesday. Local news is predicting from 8-20 inches of rain out of this event

:rolleyes:
Peanut butter, jelly, and Spam? Do all those go together?

I hope you stocked up on burgers and Krispy Kreme, my friend. And videos of Duke v. UConn games.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
With this one slowing down so much on Thursday - Sunday, it's only guesswork where it will end up in the Carolinas. We shall see.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
With this one slowing down so much on Thursday - Sunday, it's only guesswork where it will end up in the Carolinas. We shall see.

They are saying it’s going to park off the NC coast and possibly backtrack into SC.. Carolinas are going to get plowed with wind and rain.

Most of my family in the Charleston area left two days ago. They remember Hugo, my parents actually rode that storm out in Charleston. Southerners typically do not play around with hurricanes... we’ll stick around for a cat 1/cat 2... but you start talking cat 3/cat 4/cat 5 and we get OUT OF DODGE..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Peanut butter, jelly, and Spam? Do all those go together?

I hope you stocked up on burgers and Krispy Kreme, my friend. And videos of Duke v. UConn games.

1) I had run out of peanut butter..... i try to keep some on hand for a quick snack.... hadnt bought Spam in years...... figure it would be good to have in a pinch

2) No burgers..... Jerusalem Market downtown posted online that Falafel is hurricane food..... so perhaps I can stock up on Falafel, Pita Chips, and Tahini .... havent been to Krispy Kreme since the Eclipse last year.... so Im overdue for a dozen :p

3) I think imma pass on the videos :rolleyes:

They are saying it’s going to park off the NC coast and possibly backtrack into SC.. Carolinas are going to get plowed with wind and rain.

Most of my family in the Charleston area left two days ago. They remember Hugo, my parents actually rode that storm out in Charleston. Southerners typically do not play around with hurricanes... we’ll stick around for a cat 1/cat 2... but you start talking cat 3/cat 4/cat 5 and we get OUT OF DODGE..

Ha. My friend in Columbia was supposed to move to the Charleston area on Thursday.... and start her new job on Monday. Those moving plans have been delayed :confused: I remember Hugo..... they cancelled school up here..... it did major damage in NC..... but nothing like down there.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
With regard to Hurricane Florence...I pray for those in Henderson, NC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just got a text from my daughter-in-law that my son just landed in Charlotte 15 minutes ago to attend business meetings today and tomorrow, returning home Friday morning.

Even though I'm out here in So. Cal, now I have skin in the game, and will be monitoring Florence very closely on TV. I pray for blessings and mercy to all in the projected target areas. Local news stations said there were mandatory evacuation orders given. They showed some folks loading all of their furniture into rental trucks and leaving town in the mass exodus before Florence arrives. Batten down the hatches and stay safe. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Saw on the news that Walmart ran out of water.... and people were buying Gatorade as a replacement. The news reporter told some people that the Cotsco down the road had some water left.... and people jumped in their cars and headed to Cotsco. I prefer bottled water..... but I can always drink some tap water if i have to :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not if your power fails. Do you have a generator?

Best of luck you and everyone down there. Florence looks like she's a real beyotch.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All of my hopes go out to these folk who are under the gun while facing another "Storm of a lifetime" hitting our coastline. I hope you're prepared, hunkered down, and/or somewhere further inland. I've all my appendages crossed for y'all.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Could possibly make landfall as far south as Georgia

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Best of luck you and everyone down there. Florence looks like she's a real beyotch.

I trust my mayor. :p Now if i lived out in the county.... all bets would be off. But for some reason..............everyone is still rushing out to get water..........Head bang Imma look around at a few stores this afternoon...... if i cant find any.. imma just go ahead and buy a Pur Filter or water pitcher

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Could possibly make landfall as far south as Georgia

Just like a woman..... Florence cant make up her mind where she wants to go. ;):mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::rolleyes:

shoe.gif

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

If you are not in an evacuation zone, don't forget the old tip about filling the bath tub and if you are plastic wrap the drain area, 'cuz they leak.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I assume we are looking at National Guard mobilizations for Flo and aftermath. Best to all of those who serve in hours of need.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
With each update, the forecast map keeps shifting further south. Every school district in this part of the state already cancelled classes for Friday.. and most on Thursday. All of the colleges are closed for thursday and friday. The weather forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 80 degrees, sunny, with a small 20% chance of non-florence related rain. Similar forecast for Friday. Florence rain isnt expected here til the weekend. Better safe than sorry in terms of all of the closures.

One good sign is I checked the traffic on Google Maps earlier in the afternoon ...and it showed a solid red line on most of Interstate 40 headed west into Greensboro.... and even a solid red line on US 70 headed this way... shows that alot of folk from down east have evacuated to safer land. Wake Forest opened its arena to any evacuees.... and im sure other cities will as well. Not everyone will be able to find a empty hotel room, and not everyone can afford to spend a few nights in a hotel.

On a personal note.... I was able to find a 24 pack of water at Walgreens this afternoon :) Then promptly dropped one bottle on the kitchen floor and it burst open :( Im sure the stores are probably empty again by now...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I trust my mayor. :p Now if i lived out in the county.... all bets would be off. But for some reason....everyone is still rushing out to get water.....Head bang Imma look around at a few stores this afternoon. if i cant find any.. imma just go ahead and buy a Pur Filter or water pitcher

Yup if you have city water you probably don't have to worry about water so much. But like you said, those of us out in the country have wells that require electricity which usually goes out at the drop of a hat during any storm. I am planning to fill a 50 gallon tank that I had to use for our horses before we had a well put in their pasture. Hopefully this will be enough for our plumbing needs if/when we lose power.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I remember my mother talking about Hazel..... she was still in elementary school....... and far inland from where it hit. Still the strongest storm to hit NC.... in terms of wind speed and storm surge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom