OT: Florence (Hurricane) | The Boneyard

OT: Florence (Hurricane)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This hussy could be a bad one :oops:

NC, SC, and VA already have declared states of emergency. UNC-Wilmington has issued voluntary evacuations for its students starting at noon. Its been 22 years since a major hurricane has come ashore in NC........ I guess we are due (hopefully not)

AL062018_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Hope it doesn't.

Not sure when, but I remember a big one hit the outer banks some time back. Stranded some folks, IIRC.

There is a lot of stuff to like along the south-eastern coast of the US, but hurricanes (and humidity, for that matter) were reasons I never wanted to live there.

Have a friend (oddly enough, a UConn fan, originally from Connecticut, who followed Rutgers when he lived in NJ) who lives in New Bern. I'll have to check up with him on face-book.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This definitely looks to be a problem not just for NC... but probably SC, VA, DC, MD, WV with the rain and wind. Im located pretty far inland, and Ive never been overly concerned with a storm before..... and that it would have to be a major storm that comes ashore at the right angle to really cause trouble in Central NC. This may be that storm. A few model runs show it coming right through the Triad :eek::eek::eek:

NC has had a bad history with Hurricanes starting with the letter F. Fran in 1996, Floyd in 1999, and potentially Florence

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This definitely looks to be a problem not just for NC... but probably SC, VA, DC, MD, WV with the rain and wind. Im located pretty far inland, and Ive never been overly concerned with a storm before..... and that it would have to be a major storm that comes ashore at the right angle to really cause trouble in Central NC. This may be that storm. A few model runs show it coming right through the Triad :eek::eek::eek:

Nevertheless I think you need to stock up on provisions. I'm thinking one Krispy Kreme per MPH max winds.

Reaction Score

NC, SC, and VA already have declared states of emergency. UNC-Wilmington has issued voluntary evacuations for its students starting at noon. Its been 22 years since a major hurricane has come ashore in NC... I guess we are due (hopefully not)

The real problem this will make much worse than ordinary is the previous monsoon like rain. Trees will topple with a slightly strong wind. I have 50 to 70 ft oak and poplar to topple onto my new 17,000 $ roof (finished this past friday)

Reaction Score
Our former neighbors and very good friends live on Topsail island, Topsail Beach to be exact. It is one of the barrier islands just north of Wilmington. When Fran hit there in 1996 it covered the island with 8 ft of water. we saw the aftermath first hand as we use to go there every fourth of July until 2010. I sure hope it makes a turn and misses the coastline but looks unlikely for now.

Reaction Score
Booked hotel rooms months ago in Santee SC, and a few nights in Raleigh NC, then PA and then RI, for an eventual week in VT. Suppose to leave Friday morning, just canceled all the driving plans, and will fly up to Vermont next week.

Ex-CT, now FL people feel bad and our prayers go out for NC, SC and everyone involved, as we keep our eyes on the eastern atlantic.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
CT transplant here in Florida. Yup, we survived Irma. To all in the Carolinas, stay safe. Predictions are not good.

Since we are hooked into the Navy via our submariner son. Norfolk Naval Base will be moving ships and subs to sea starting today. Kingsbay Sub base in Georgia are on alert. As to whether Kingsbay goes out remains to be seen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

NC has had a bad history with Hurricanes starting with the letter F. Fran in 1996, Floyd in 1999, and potentially Florence
Well, F them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

NC, SC, and VA already have declared states of emergency. UNC-Wilmington has issued voluntary evacuations for its students starting at noon. Its been 22 years since a major hurricane has come ashore in NC... I guess we are due (hopefully not)

You could take consolation in your new avatar. I know I am.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
People are definitely taking this yamp seriously....went to the grocery store this evening to pick up some peanut butter, jelly, and spam... and the lines were so long at the checkout counters, that I walked back out. Walgreens was out of water... wont get a shipment in until Wednesday. Local news is predicting from 8-20 inches of rain out of this event

You could take consolation in your new avatar. I know I am.

:rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
People are definitely taking this yamp seriously....went to the grocery store this evening to pick up some peanut butter, jelly, and spam... and the lines were so long at the checkout counters, that I walked back out. Walgreens was out of water... wont get a shipment in until Wednesday. Local news is predicting from 8-20 inches of rain out of this event

:rolleyes:
I am afraid that more than just Walgreens will be getting a huge shipment of water starting Wednesday. Good luck to all in its path. Stay safe and sound.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am afraid that more than just Walgreens will be getting a huge shipment of water starting Wednesday. Good luck to all in its path. Stay safe and sound.

Saw on the news that Walmart ran out of water.... and people were buying Gatorade as a replacement. The news reporter told some people that the Cotsco down the road had some water left.... and people jumped in their cars and headed to Cotsco. I prefer bottled water..... but I can always drink some tap water if i have to :eek::eek::eek::eek:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have an old friend, long retired to Myrtle Beach.

I suggested that if a spot of inclement weather has her on edge, that she might hop on Amtrak, a coupla blocks down the street and enjoy a pleasant week in ole New York.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just please get out if "they" say get out and don't risk the lives of those you expect to rescue you when you finally admit you are wrong.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm around DC and couldn't figure out why the grocery lines were so long this afternoon, but it must be the storm. I wasn't intending on provisioning yet, but will have to tomorrow. We got about 4" of rain this weekend in addition to the ~30" of the last couple of months. I'm another who's surrounded by huge poplars, so I'm somewhat concerned.

Best wishes to all of you near the Atlantic coast.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I have to wonder with a Storm coming in from the west and a storm coming in from the east, whether the games will be played in D.C.

Reaction Score
Just please get out if "they" say get out and don't risk the lives of those you expect to rescue you when you finally admit you are wrong.
And I may be one of those rescuers. FEMA is pre-positioning USAR and water rescue resources in anticipation of the potential for catastrophic flooding. I am on the roster for deployment with the Maryland Task Force this month.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And I may be one of those rescuers. FEMA is pre-positioning USAR and water rescue resources in anticipation of the potential for catastrophic flooding. I am on the roster for deployment with the Maryland Task Force this month.

Stay safe as you can @Ozimoto . Taking foolish risks and then imperilling rescuers is something we see far too much of here in our beautiful but dangerous western terrain and weather.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Thank you for your service. I'd hope that since Maryland has issued a disaster declaration, you'd be kept around.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
5 stores...... no water...early this morning.... didnt even try to find any during the day......... .... but at least I did get my peanut butter and spam :confused:

Track has shifted again........things are looking relatively better for the Triad as of now. Instead of 10-20 inches of rain and 80mph winds...... only 6-10 inches with 60mph :oops:

Hope it doesn't.

Not sure when, but I remember a big one hit the outer banks some time back. Stranded some folks, IIRC.

There is a lot of stuff to like along the south-eastern coast of the US, but hurricanes (and humidity, for that matter) were reasons I never wanted to live there.

Have a friend (oddly enough, a UConn fan, originally from Connecticut, who followed Rutgers when he lived in NJ) who lives in New Bern. I'll have to check up with him on face-book.

Hopefully they evacuated.... though they shifted the forecast track...... they are still predicting 20 inches of rain and 110+mph wind for the New Bern area. Not to mention the storm surge as the winds push the Neuse River back into the city

Our former neighbors and very good friends live on Topsail island, Topsail Beach to be exact. It is one of the barrier islands just north of Wilmington. When Fran hit there in 1996 it covered the island with 8 ft of water. we saw the aftermath first hand as we use to go there every fourth of July until 2010. I sure hope it makes a turn and misses the coastline but looks unlikely for now.

Well mandatory evacuation for the barrier islands.... not sure about Topsail.... but I saw that Wrightsville island are moving all of the police cars/emergency vehicles to the mainland and will be shutting off the water at 8pm Wednesday night. If anyone stays there..... best of luck to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom