OT - Fire Crosses 15 Freeway (LA to Vegas) Cars Burned | The Boneyard

OT - Fire Crosses 15 Freeway (LA to Vegas) Cars Burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Amazing wild fire crossed over the 15 freeway which is the major freeway between LA/San Diego to Las Vegas. Cars, car carriers, semi trucks burned up on the freeway.

I've driven that freeway 100 times and can't imagine how hot a wild fire would have to be to blow over the freeway and set vehicles on fire.

The local news got a cell phone video of a family just getting by it which was really dramatic. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Reaction Score
Unreal, I'm convinced it's just a matter of time until California no longer exists.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The wind is always very strong over the Cajon Pass...couple that with a brush fire moving towards the highway with fuel still in front of it and you have a blow torch.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Read the New Yorker this week, the Pacific Northwest is going first.

Yikes. That doesn't sound good. One in three chance of a major quake in 50 years, one in ten chance of a 9.0+ quake.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

"In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America. Roughly three thousand people died in San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. Almost two thousand died in Hurricane Katrina. Almost three hundred died in Hurricane Sandy. FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million."

I also wonder how the people in California are reacting to the water situation?

Reaction Score
Massive wildfire in that area - why are you on that highway?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Massive wildfire in that area - why are you on that highway?
You, apparently, have no experience with wild fires. This one grew from 500 acres to 2000 acres in less than two hours. You get in your car to drive to Vegas, put on the sat radio and 30 minutes later you're in the middle of a wild fire that wasn't even on your radar when you left.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
THAT'S NOT A FIRE, THAT'S THE FIERY HOT BREATH OF GOD'S JUDGEMENT, YOU CALIFORNIA HEATHEN.

Repent, Jim. Repent.

Reaction Score
You, apparently, have no experience with wild fires. This one grew from 500 acres to 2000 acres in less than two hours. You get in your car to drive to Vegas, put on the sat radio and 30 minutes later you're in the middle of a wild fire that wasn't even on your radar when you left.

You're right it's been a while since that's happened on I-91, 84 or 90 so I'm not a veteran these fires at all.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
You're right it's been a while since that's happened on I-91, 84 or 90 so I'm not a veteran these fires at all.
Pfffffft. Fire noob. :)

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've been here over 30 years now and it's the first time I've seen cars get torched on a freeway. I've seen it get closed and have huge backups, but never this.

And it led me to another thought. When the major road between LA/SD to LV gets closed on a Friday afternoon, how much money does that cost Vegas?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
jleves said:

This is playing on the Sat radio obviously.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Read the New Yorker this week, the Pacific Northwest is going first.

I was surprised to here they are tsunami 'proofing' buildings. Still not sure how that works real world.

Of course, the new Yorker article didn't cover all the reasons for pending disaster. Second link in Google LINK

Last edited:
Reaction Score
August_West said:
This is playing on the Sat radio obviously. YouTube Video

Well, the Cajon Pass takes you through the San Bernardino Mountains up to an elevation of 5000 feet, so this would also be apropos:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom