OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
MONT: Don't want to speak for my friend BROADWAY who posted that, but as huge fan of Philly area/South Jersey Hoagies, I had to look into his suggestion. After some research, my best guess is that he was talking about Cavallo's, to which I will make a visit. I did stop in that area once when passing thru to visit the highly touted Narducci's, and was seriously disappointed relative to all the hype....and even on a absolute scale.
They sure make Cavallo's sound mighty tempting, but any place that will toast their subs raises a vibrant red flag for Philly area hoagie guys.
I agree with your statements about Narducci's and the Philadelphia area. When I am in that area again I will check out Cavallo's also.

Reaction Score
fried egg and bacon on wheat, a plain ol' PB&J sammich and a golden grilled cheese sammich with or without a slice of honey ham stuffed in between.

These plus a fluffernutter and a turkey w/miracle whip on wheat (not mayo!) are my picks.

Reaction Score
BLT; PB & peach jelly; PB & banana; or Monte Cristo dipped in raspberry compote. Mmm mmm good. Need a glass of cold milk with the peanut butter sandwiches and sweet tea with the BLT.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
MLT -- Mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe...they are so perky. I love that.
Isn't tha from the movie "Princess Bride"?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Isn't tha from the movie "Princess Bride"?
Yes, yes it is. The sandwich of my childhood was peanut butter and raisin. Today, a bahn mi sandwich done right would me keep me similarly satisfied.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are talkin' my kind of language.

Okay to my favorite. Medium rare burger, nice, thick and juicy. Blue cheese (pile it on), red onions, jalapeno, crispy bacon (two thick American or three thin ones), thinly cut garlic slices, lettuce and tomato. All on Rye or Arnold's white bread. Hammy buns as a last resort. Making big thick sweet potato fries is optional although a highly recommended side. Big jug/carafe of lemonade with just a hint of lime, though ice water will do, and how. Salt to taste or not. This is great as is.

Baby what a ride!

I would do this EVERY UConn game up until the last one. Guess I'm to blame then, huh?

And my cholesterol levels are just fine, thank you. Glad you asked.
Damn, don't mess with the mojo! You should know better. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BLT; PB & peach jelly; PB & banana; or Monte Cristo dipped in raspberry compote. Mmm mmm good. Need a glass of cold milk with the peanut butter sandwiches and sweet tea with the BLT.
I'll second the Monte Cristo. Count on it! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a big panini fan. My kids gave me a nice Breville panini maker a few years back and told me to get busy!

There are (2) crowd favorites; the first is a bacon guacamole grilled cheese sandwich (cheeses used are a jack and cheddar combo, the guac is chunky, the bread is sour dough, bacon is applewood);

Bacon%2BGuacamole%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B1953.jpg

the other favorite is another grill cheese concoction with boars head honey ham (or pr0sciutto) sliced paper thin, the bread is brioche, the cheese is fontina and asian pear sliced paper thin as well!
Good choices and a nice visual! Thanks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm very disappointed in you, Triad! ;)

Plain white bread--no

American cheese--no

Bologna--definitely no

I'll take a Krispy Kreme and Cheerwine any day.

When I was in grad school at Penn, the first time I had a Pizza Steak, I thought I was in heaven. Steak, provolone, pizza sauce on a hoagie roll, all toasted.

o.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Grilled cheese is an old classic. When I was a kid, I made it with Velveeta or American cheese. There are lots of options, some rather gourmet in style. New York City used to have a place that served only Grilled Cheese.

My favorites include Cheddar, Tomato, and Bacon on Sourdough.

Recently, I had a Brie with sliced Granny Smith apple and a touch of some type of jelly on Sourdough. It melted in my mouth.

landscape-1470402403-heirloom-tomato-bacon-grilled-cheesel1.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Triad, here in St. Louis we have known that there is a big difference between a sandwich and a sammich since the 1940's or earlier. A sammich is a level higher than a sandwich. I prefer sammiches. Thanks for bringing this up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, for putting meat on bread!

180px-Earl_of_Sandwich_COA.svg.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm very disappointed in you, Triad! ;)

Plain white bread--no

American cheese--no

Bologna--definitely no

I'll take a Krispy Kreme and Cheerwine any day.

When I was in grad school at Penn, the first time I had a Pizza Steak, I thought I was in heaven. Steak, provolone, pizza sauce on a hoagie roll, all toasted.

o.jpg
Mmmmmmmmboyamen.
Let's go Milford (Clapclapclapclapclapclap)! Let's go Milford (Clapclapclapclapclapclap)!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Coming back into this thread like this.....

tenor.gif
ne

Looking for possible new recipes to try out :cool:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cream cheese and olives on toasted rye bread.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the California Central Valley and it used to get quite hot during the summers. (it has in the past decades cooled somewhat). One afternoon I was scrounging around for some sandwich makings, I discovered there was nothing in the house except bread and cans of apple sauce. So the logical thing to do was chill the apple sauce and use it for sandwich spread. Let me say that that one day of improvisation due to necessity created a real summer staple for my future self. Not only was it tasty but it was cold and you can't beat that on a hot day. Of course you have to really pack on the apple sauce.

Reaction Score
Are any of you old enough to have been around Storrs years ago when Lou's over in Eagleville was there? They had a several specially named sandwiches on the menu. My favorite was called the STOP. Swiss cheese, tomato, onion, and pastrami served on grilled rye bread. The pastrami was grilled and and the swiss was melted on top. Add a slice of raw onion and tomato to the rye which was buttered and grilled on both sides. Add mustard to taste. A heart attack waiting to happen. I've tried to duplicate the taste ever since at home but only have ever been able to get close. Lou's was a real greasy spoon dive and it was probably the years of accumulated dirt and grease that provided the great taste. My buddies and I were there probably 3 or 4 times a week. Bialasuknia was often in there at the same time with a few of his Sig Ep brothers.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Are any of you old enough to have been around Storrs years ago when Lou's over in Eagleville was there? They had a several specially named sandwiches on the menu. My favorite was called the STOP. Swiss cheese, tomato, onion, and pastrami served on grilled rye bread. The pastrami was grilled and and the swiss was melted on top. Add a slice of raw onion and tomato to the rye which was buttered and grilled on both sides. Add mustard to taste. A heart attack waiting to happen. I've tried to duplicate the taste ever since at home but only have ever been able to get close. Lou's was a real greasy spoon dive and it was probably the years of accumulated dirt and grease that provided the great taste. My buddies and I were there probably 3 or 4 times a week. Bialasuknia was often in there at the same time with a few of his Sig Ep brothers.
This is a classic and one of my favorites. Every diner and deli within 100 miles of NYC has a version of this sandwich. There's only 2 ways it can go wrong; 1. use modern lean pastrami -no good at all you got to use the old style pastrami that has as much fat as bacon does. 2. must be accompanied by a half sour pickle - the ones at Lou's were great.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
This is a classic and one of my favorites. Every diner and deli within 100 miles of NYC has a version of this sandwich. There's only 2 ways it can go wrong; 1. use modern lean pastrami -no good at all you got to use the old style pastrami that has as much fat as bacon does. 2. must be accompanied by a half sour pickle - the ones at Lou's were great.

Now you have to remember Lou's from the late 60's. Imagine people with the munchies needing a place to go at midnight. The place was full of freaks and frats. I once saw a ventriloquist act at midnight with the guy of small stature (trying to stay out of trouble here) sitting on the lap of a normal sized guy. This was with the lights out and only the spotlight at the counter on. Oh yeah there was also the fire eating act. Ali John's the home of the original CBG and STOP.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Cream cheese and olives on toasted rye bread.

This reminds me of a sandwich I would find about once a week when I opened up my lunch bag in elementary school: Cream cheese and jelly on white. I won't elevate it to the level of sammich, but I loved it.

Reaction Score
Dietz and Watson knockwurst- natural casing, equal if not better than Hebrew National- sold at Walmart for $4.99.

Teacherdeb- - -I had 4 Dietz and Watson knockwurst on a sandwich for lunch today!
You were right they were really good!
Thanks for the heads up, I'm back to knockwurst for lunch on Saturday!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sammich? No such thing.
Sangwich? Nope.
Samwinch? Negative.

Sandwich? Ah, yes. Make mine a BOLT. It's a BLT on white toast with a generous slice of Spanish onion interposed. Adequate mayo is a firm requirement.

My favorite short-order sandwich is a Reuben. More than one would-be diner chef auditioned for their job by making a Reuben. They can be somewhat challenging. Getting the corned beef cooked hot- but still moist- is problem one. Problem two is getting the kraut hot and well-drained of the juices. Swiss or provolone must be evenly melted, and generous thousand island dressing served on the side. Oh yeah, bay bay!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Tuna swiss melt with avocado & tomato on a ciabatta roll. TJ's yellowtail in olive oil and TJ's mayo, generous black pepper and some chopped cilantro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom