OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home

Reaction Score
The GRINDER Real Italian, Italian cheese, meats, and full size Italian bread slit down the center and packed full.
They have been in the dinky location for 90 years--no chain, just REAL ITalians in Okville Ct

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I prefer the BELT: bacon, egg, lettuce, and tomato. Egg can be fried hard or scrambled. Best on white toast with pepper and mayo.

Another favorite is the Wimpy's Special: Cheeseburger on bun with thousand island sauce. The sauce was referred to as Wimpy Sauce because it was served at Wimpy's Drive In, a joint where I worked in high school. Car hops wore short skirts. Bless their hearts.
When I was young (7-8) I remember we had a drive-in called Scotty's (a chain, not sure if they are around anymore, might be a couple). The young high school car hops wore little plaid skirts, knee high socks and a little plaid hat.

A little like this.

menu-for-scottys-drive-in-reads-scottys-drive-in-from-1955-in-usa-picture-id179346047

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Up to a year ago my usual Saturday lunch would be a simple 2 Hebrew Nation Knockwurst split hot dogs on rye bread with Guilden's Spicy Brown Mustard on both slices of rye with a slice of swiss cheese!
But now I vary my Saturday lunch, because Hebrew National took their 4 pack of knockwurst from $4.99 a package to $9.00 a package in 1 week! I loved those sandwiches but I loved them less at $9.00 a package!

What Hebrew Nat did is the worst!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes... there is a difference between a sandwich and a sammich. I of course prefer the latter.

As for me... i prefer white bread for any sammich.... usually the Arnold Italian Bread.. for just a sandwich.... any white bread will do.. even that thin stuff that Pepperridge sells.

My personal favorite is the plain and simple Bologna sammich..... Boar's Head Beef Bologna is my usual choice. I go to the deli..... usually Harris Teeter.. and ask for a 1 pound of bologna sliced into 4 slices. They usually give me a funny look... then I tell them... yeah... I like em thick. ...Sometimes they get it right on the money but usually they end up even thicker. Once went to a newbie.... and the slices she cut were 1/2 pound each :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gotta fry it in a hand me down cast iron skillet..... sometimes I use regular veggie oil.... sometimes butter. usually I cover one slice of bread using DUKE's mayo... (the best mayo on earth) and mustard on the other slice. Usually just plain old American Cheese.... yellow or white... The general rule of thumb is wait til the bologna rises in the middle before you flip it... but since my slices are so thick... they dont rise at all. I prefer some black around the edges.. and definitely some char in the middle. After I flip it.... gotta put two slices of cheese on it .. and let it melt while on the skillet... then after you take it out of the pan..... immediately on the bread... let the grease soak in the bread for 13 seconds... then..... chomp chomp chomp :)
Mayo and bologna? Boy-o.

I'll tell you a story. My mom was the thrifty sort, and she made sure to make my school lunch every day from Grammar school through Junior High. Being the thrifty sort she would buy luncheon meats in bulk. As a result I soon learned that if I had a salami sandwich (and they were all sandwiches to me, trust me) on Monday I would have it though until Friday. If my dessert was cling peaches, ditto. Anyone ever wonder what it tastes like to have egg sandwiches 5 days a week for lunch? Liverwurst or, of course, bologna? How about apple sauce or Kraft cheese? Just ask me. Everything of course with mayo. Of course. Never mustard.

To this day I can't eat any any of the aforementioned foods. None. Mayo looks like pus to me. Bologna, salami look like leather. I think I can still handle smelling liverwurst, but I'm hesitant to try.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Turkey and Swiss on wheat and don't forget to crush your Lays potato chips inside the sandwich. Add mustard and enjoy! Absolute heaven!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I worked my way through high school and college at a variety of restaurants. While working at a Howard Johnson's, I created a tasty treat for myself that the comical dishwasher, who referred to me as the wayward one, called the Wayward Special. It was Grilled American and Swiss on whole wheat with a charbroiled 1/4 pound hamburger, lightly grilled tomatoes, chopped raw onions, ketchup and a few pickles. Serve it with a side of fried clams and you have one heck of a meal. I would finish it off with my favorite ice cream combination, one scoop of Swiss Chocolate Almond and one scoop of Cocoanut – called it an Almond Joy. If I ate like that now, I'd be even fatter than my fat self. Oh, for the young, working-on-your-feet metabolism.
You are talkin' my kind of language.

Okay to my favorite. Medium rare burger, nice, thick and juicy. Blue cheese (pile it on), red onions, jalapeno, crispy bacon (two thick American or three thin ones), thinly cut garlic slices, lettuce and tomato. All on Rye or Arnold's white bread. Hammy buns as a last resort. Making big thick sweet potato fries is optional although a highly recommended side. Big jug/carafe of lemonade with just a hint of lime, though ice water will do, and how. Salt to taste or not. This is great as is.

Baby what a ride!

I would do this EVERY UConn game up until the last one. Guess I'm to blame then, huh?

And my cholesterol levels are just fine, thank you. Glad you asked.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
triaddukefan, you really started something here. You got some of our "closet" sammich gourmets to come out and share. I love it. :)

Reaction Score
my August ritual: cross the Del Mem. Bridge for south Jersey tomatoes, slice and sandwich up with lick of mayo, salt and pepper. Any bread will do, the tomato is the star.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ok, I've put up with you amateurs long enough.

It's a quadruple decker on rye.
First deck: thinly sliced venison cooked rare with light mayo.
Second deck: lettuce and tomato.
Third deck: sandwich pickles and provalone cheese.
Fourth deck: thinly sliced venison cooked rare with a little olive oil.

If you don't like it, talk to my avatar!
Yum. Send me samples, you rat.

Reaction Score
Mayo and bologna? Boy-o.

I'll tell you a story. My mom was the thrifty sort, and she made sure to make my school lunch every day from Grammar school through Junior High. Being the thrifty sort she would buy luncheon meats in bulk. As a result I soon learned that if I had a salami sandwich (and they were all sandwiches to me, trust me) on Monday I would have it though until Friday. If my dessert was cling peaches, ditto. Anyone ever wonder what it tastes like to have egg sandwiches 5 days a week for lunch? Liverwurst or, of course, bologna? How about apple sauce or Kraft cheese? Just ask me. Everything of course with mayo. Of course. Never mustard.

To this day I can't eat any any of the aforementioned foods. None. Mayo looks like pus to me. Bologna, salami look like leather. I think I can still handle smelling liverwurst, but I'm hesitant to try.
Hey don't complain about eating the same thing-----"THE STARVING children IN CHINA WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT" (heard that one too didn't you?)

Reaction Score
my August ritual: cross the Del Mem. Bridge for south Jersey tomatoes, slice and sandwich up with lick of mayo, salt and pepper. Any bread will do, the tomato is the star.
good--ummm

Reaction Score
In 2 weeks I'll have huge tomatoes--from my own vines--that are almost as good. Right now Squash, onions, Zucchini--this is how I keep my girlish shape--

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'm a big panini fan. My kids gave me a nice Breville panini maker a few years back and told me to get busy!

There are (2) crowd favorites; the first is a bacon guacamole grilled cheese sandwich (cheeses used are a jack and cheddar combo, the guac is chunky, the bread is sour dough, bacon is applewood);

Bacon%2BGuacamole%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B1953.jpg

the other favorite is another grill cheese concoction with boars head honey ham (or pr0sciutto) sliced paper thin, the bread is brioche, the cheese is fontina and asian pear sliced paper thin as well!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hey don't complain about eating the same thing-----"THE STARVING children IN CHINA WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT" (heard that one too didn't you?)
If I'd have known I'd have sent them all of my lunches for a bowl of rice and a little soy sauce. Trust me by Friday I could have thrown that tuna (Yuck) sandwich 7K miles.

Reaction Score
Up to a year ago my usual Saturday lunch would be a simple 2 Hebrew Nation Knockwurst split hot dogs on rye bread with Guilden's Spicy Brown Mustard on both slices of rye with a slice of swiss cheese!
But now I vary my Saturday lunch, because Hebrew National took their 4 pack of knockwurst from $4.99 a package to $9.00 a package in 1 week! I loved those sandwiches but I loved them less at $9.00 a package!
Dietz and Watson knockwurst- natural casing, equal if not better than Hebrew National- sold at Walmart for $4.99.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm a big panini fan. My kids gave me a nice Breville panini maker a few years back and told me to get busy!

There are (2) crowd favorites; the first is a bacon guacamole grilled cheese sandwich (cheeses used are a jack and cheddar combo, the guac is chunky, the bread is sour dough, bacon is applewood);

Bacon%2BGuacamole%2BGrilled%2BCheese%2BSandwich%2B500%2B1953.jpg

the other favorite is another grill cheese concoction with boars head honey ham (or pr0sciutto) sliced paper thin, the bread is brioche, the cheese is fontina and asian pear sliced paper thin as well!

For a Replicant you eat pretty well. How's the cholesterol? ;)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The GRINDER Real Italian, Italian cheese, meats, and full size Italian bread slit down the center and packed full.
They have been in the dinky location for 90 years--no chain, just REAL ITalians in Okville Ct
What's the name of that place in Oakville?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I always got "starving children in Africa". I always wanted to tell my parents that they could send mine to Africa then. But as Ms Lobo once said "You can think it, but you never say it."

Reaction Score
OMG! I am from New Orleans. Like most natives of my hometown, I generally subscribe to the theory that folks from other parts of our country haven’t a clue when it comes to food. While I hate to appear condescending to my friends on this Board, nothing that has appeared in this thread suggests in any way that my preconceived bias is even remotely ill conceived! Fortunately, and, if I may say so, magnanimously, I am always willing to help fellow fans of UConn Women’s Basketball elevate themselves to a more sublime experience of the culinary arts…even on the basic level of sandwich enjoyment. Though I shall faithfully remain available, gumbo, jambalaya and crawfish etoufee can wait til later.

There are two iconic forms of New Orleans sandwich treats, the classic poorboy and the Italian Muffeletta. While both depend heavily on the fresh loaves of bread on which they are served, surprisingly decent approximations can be realized even here in Connecticut and elsewhere. I will focus herewith on the lesser known Muffeletta, which, when properly prepared, is truly sublime. The “French” Quarter in my hometown is mainly Spanish in its architecture, and, for most of its modern history, when it was still primarily residential, was most heavily populated by Italian immigrants who brought this treat to our city. While not mandatory, I recommend the purchase of an electric sandwich press to create the ultimate in slightly gooey deliciousness of the final product. Second, while recipes abound on the internet for making this sandwich’s most essential ingredient, its olive salad, one can order a great version of it at boscoli.com. It “keeps” more or less indefinitely in the fridge. Finally, while the round Muffeletta bread loaf found in New Orleans is extraordinary, any good sesame-seeded fresh Italian loaf will serve surprisingly well.

OK, preheat the sandwich press with a little olive oil spritz pre-applied. Slice the proper amount of bread loaf to create two open-face halves. Apply a thin layer of quality mayonnaise to one side only. To the other, add a generous application of the olive salad, allowing plenty of the olive oil which forms its base to seep into the bread. On the mayo half, add a few thin slices of ham, a few slices of quality prosciutto, a few slices of good Genoa salami, and a few slices of provolone. Slap this whole mutha together and put it in the hot press just ‘til the provolone begins to melt pretty good. Open a cold brew (essential!). Grab a spatula and remove the sandwich from the press. You can thank me later. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
What's the name of that place in Oakville?

MONT: Don't want to speak for my friend BROADWAY who posted that, but as huge fan of Philly area/South Jersey Hoagies, I had to look into his suggestion. After some research, my best guess is that he was talking about Cavallo's, to which I will make a visit. I did stop in that area once when passing thru to visit the highly touted Narducci's, and was seriously disappointed relative to all the hype....and even on a absolute scale.
They sure make Cavallo's sound mighty tempting, but any place that will toast their subs raises a vibrant red flag for Philly area hoagie guys.

Reaction Score
Dietz and Watson knockwurst- natural casing, equal if not better than Hebrew National- sold at Walmart for $4.99.

Teacherdeb- - - I just picked up a package of Dietz and Watson Knockwurst at Walmart and will give a try for my Saturday lunch. Thanks for tip! I am excessive compulsive so my meals are written in stone! For example: Monday - Turkey/Provolone cheese/mustard /salt & pepper/on rye; Tuesday - German Bologna/swiss/mustard/on rye; Wednesday - hard boiled egg sandwich/mayo & butter/salt and pepper/on rye; Thursday - see Monday & mozzarella; Friday - see Tuesday; Saturday - will try your Knockwurst; and Sunday - Grilled cheese with Mozzarella, Provolone, and american cheese!
When the HN Knockwurst went to $9.00 I started Peanut Butter sandwiches on Saturday!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom