OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Sandwiches (Sammiches) you make at home

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes... there is a difference between a sandwich and a sammich. I of course prefer the latter.

As for me... i prefer white bread for any sammich.... usually the Arnold Italian Bread............ for just a sandwich.... any white bread will do....... even that thin stuff that Pepperridge sells.

My personal favorite is the plain and simple Bologna sammich..... Boar's Head Beef Bologna is my usual choice. I go to the deli..... usually Harris Teeter.. and ask for a 1 pound of bologna sliced into 4 slices. They usually give me a funny look... then I tell them... yeah... I like em thick. ...Sometimes they get it right on the money but usually they end up even thicker. Once went to a newbie.... and the slices she cut were 1/2 pound each :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gotta fry it in a hand me down cast iron skillet.......... sometimes I use regular veggie oil.... sometimes butter...... usually I cover one slice of bread using DUKE's mayo... (the best mayo on earth) and mustard on the other slice. Usually just plain old American Cheese.... yellow or white... The general rule of thumb is wait til the bologna rises in the middle before you flip it... but since my slices are so thick... they dont rise at all. I prefer some black around the edges.. and definitely some char in the middle. After I flip it.... gotta put two slices of cheese on it .. and let it melt while on the skillet... then after you take it out of the pan..... immediately on the bread... let the grease soak in the bread for 13 seconds... then..... chomp chomp chomp :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I worked my way through high school and college at a variety of restaurants. While working at a Howard Johnson's, I created a tasty treat for myself that the comical dishwasher, who referred to me as the wayward one, called the Wayward Special. It was Grilled American and Swiss on whole wheat with a charbroiled 1/4 pound hamburger, lightly grilled tomatoes, chopped raw onions, ketchup and a few pickles. Serve it with a side of fried clams and you have one heck of a meal. I would finish it off with my favorite ice cream combination, one scoop of Swiss Chocolate Almond and one scoop of Cocoanut – called it an Almond Joy. If I ate like that now, I'd be even fatter than my fat self. Oh, for the young, working-on-your-feet metabolism.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love a sizzled bologna (or hard salami) sandwich, too.

But my current favorite is a BALT: bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato on toasted hearty bread. The bacon needs to be crisp, the avocado soft enough to be spread on the toast. Mayo on the opposite slice, and plenty of salt and pepper.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I'll reveal my pedestrian taste buds. Got 2 really. Both start with a kaiser roll or similar crisp crust sizable roll. Roast beef: very fresh beef (no hide the taste deli flavoring) medium thickness, horse radish and mayo, and a big, thick slice of a sweet onion. Egg: The roll is really critical here and lightly toast. 3 over firm eggs, bacon (3 crisp slices halved and arranged), little ground pepper, cheese of choice if feeling indulgent and this must be eaten with a full bodied cup of coffee on the side.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Egg salad on toasted, buttered wheat or multi-grain. The salad is 1/3 hardboiled egg, 1/3 finely diced celery, 1/3 finely diced sweet onion, and a small amount of Hellmann's (or Best Foods, depending on which side of the Mississippi you live on) mayo.
Topped with a couple shakes of pepper, sliced tomato and whatever lettuce is in the fridge. Toast should still be warm when you eat it. A smidge of coarse-ground deli mustard on one slice of bread is required sometimes for some reason.

I'll second Bigboote's BALT.

For unrepentant full-fat piggery, we go to liverwurst on rye (large slices). Brown mustard on one slice, Hellman's on the other. Stacked with muenster cheese, lettuce, tomato, sharp onion, and avocado. But not often.:D

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Sorry, I need to add two more.

Chunky peanut butter and jelly on just-out-of-the-toaster frozen waffles. The hot waffles melt the peanut butter into the little squares. A glass of milk tops it off.

My mom used to make these for us in the summer: Fresh tomatoes from my grandfather's garden sliced medium-thick. Put them on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Turn over and repeat. Then place onto white or Italian bread. Add super-sharp provolone that's so aged it stinks up the fridge and crumbles a bit. (My grandfather used to buy the whole cheese and age it hanging in his wine cellar.) The flavor was amazing. Sometimes she should add a little vinegar too.

There were some advantages to growing up in a poor Italian family -- the summer garden was amazing. My grandfather planted five rows of 25 tomato plants every year. The other fresh vegetables were amazing. That sweet, sweet man could grow anything. He couldn't read or write, but he was one of the smartest men I ever knew.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I love sandwiches but I can't handle the white bread thing. Toasted for a BLT is about it.

In no particular order - Philly cheese steak (not as good as Geno's because my wife won't let me use wiz) smothered in mushrooms and onions with melted provolone, hot sausage, peppers and onions on Italian bread, roast beef or pork built wet (a 10 napkin sandwich) and piled high on a bulkie roll and chicken panini with provolone and salami on a ciabatta bread are at the top of my list.

I could go on but the grill awaits.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Chunky peanut butter and jelly on just-out-of-the-toaster frozen waffles. The hot waffles melt the peanut butter into the little squares. A glass of milk tops it off.

My mom used to make these for us in the summer: Fresh tomatoes from my grandfather's garden sliced medium-thick. Put them on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Turn over and repeat. Then place onto white or Italian bread. Add super-sharp provolone that's so aged it stinks up the fridge and crumbles a bit. (My grandfather used to buy the whole cheese and age it hanging in his wine cellar.) The flavor was amazing. Sometimes she should add a little vinegar too.

There were some advantages to growing up in a poor Italian family -- the summer garden was amazing. My grandfather planted five rows of 25 tomato plants every year. The other fresh vegetables were amazing. That sweet, sweet man could grow anything. He couldn't read or write, but he was one of the smartest men I ever knew.

I had that sandwich in Naples many years ago. I had forgotten until I read your post. I have a couple of dozen tomato plants just starting to set fruit. I'm gonna' build that sandwich this summer.
If you like tomatoes try halving and scooping out the inside of an almost ripe Roma tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven. Just before I take them out I fill the cavities with fresh mozzarella pearls, another drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil then top with some grated parmesan. When the cheese has melted and started to brown take them out and drizzle with a good balsamic glaze. Also good with some peperoncini tucked under the cheese.

I too love stinky feet cheese. That's what we called it when I was a kid.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Modified Cuban Sandwich

* Half day old Jimmy Johns loaf (JJs sells for $0.45 - they only use freshly baked loafs for their sandwiches) Wider Cuban bread is perfect but fat chance of getting it where I live.
* Swiss cheese, thickish slices - a good swiss no cheapy Charlie cheese
* Honey Ham (usually smoked ham is called for)
* Hot pulled pork (leftover from smoked pork shoulder - see no need for the ham to be smoked)
* Heinz Sweet and Hot Pickle Rounds (usually dill pickles)
* mixture of 1/2 yellow mustard & 1/2 Mayo with cayenne pepper

Hollow out the loaf by removing as much bread as you like from the loaf. Spread mustard/mayo spread on both halves of the loaf. Place swiss cheese slices on one slice. Cover the cheese with ham slices. Next cover the ham with hot, really hot, pulled pork. Put several Heinz pickle rounds on the pork. Apply more swiss cheese slices. If you have a panini press, use it otherwise place the sandwich into a hot lightly buttered frying pan and place and press another pan on the sandwich until crispy. Repeat for the other side. This is good stuff. You figure out how much of what to us because now it is your sandwich.

Reaction Score
Simplest sammidge of all: Rye bread, mayo on both slices. Crunchy lettuce. One slice of tomato. Ham (Virginia ham works well, not honey ham if possible) and an equal number of slices of Swiss.

Reaction Score
Ok, I've put up with you amateurs long enough.

It's a quadruple decker on rye.
First deck: thinly sliced venison cooked rare with light mayo.
Second deck: lettuce and tomato.
Third deck: sandwich pickles and provalone cheese.
Fourth deck: thinly sliced venison cooked rare with a little olive oil.

If you don't like it, talk to my avatar!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
not as good as Geno's because my wife won't let me use wiz) smothered in mushrooms and onions with melted provolone,

Ugh, the last time I went to Geno's, maybe 10 years ago now, the sandwich was terrible. I was embarrassed for the people who made it. Plus, everyone who worked there was a dillhole. Yes, yes, south Philly, blah blah blah. Sorry, no. Every other place I've been to in south Philly, the service has ranged from neutral to pleasant. You can get away with being a jerk if the sandwich is good.

Like I said, the last time I went to Geno's was 10 years ago.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Two pieces of Toast around an egg over easy or sunny side up and sharp cheddar = delicious.

Grilled cheese perfectly done is another true joy.

The day-after-Thanksgiving (or, late the day-of :)), using turkey, a slice of cranberry sauce (the canned variety without whole berries) (although, homemade cranberry relish is fine, too) and stuffing (you can add cheese if you want but it doesn't need it) is something I look forward to more than the Thanksgiving dinner itself.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ugh, the last time I went to Geno's, maybe 10 years ago now, the sandwich was terrible. I was embarrassed for the people who made it. Plus, everyone who worked there was a dillhole. Yes, yes, south Philly, blah blah blah. Sorry, no. Every other place I've been to in south Philly, the service has ranged from neutral to pleasant. You can get away with being a jerk if the sandwich is good.

Like I said, the last time I went to Geno's was 10 years ago.

The last time I was at Geno's was probably 15 years ago just before I retired. The steak sandwich was good but no better than Pat's across the street. Personally I think Tony Luke's was the better steak - at least at that time. I'm sue it's all changed by now.

Wally East

Reaction Score
The last time I was at Geno's was probably 15 years ago just before I retired. The steak sandwich was good but no better than Pat's across the street. Personally I think Tony Luke's was the better steak - at least at that time. I'm sue it's all changed by now.

The best I've had was at Jim's. I keep meaning to go to Tony Luke's but I haven't managed it yet.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Ten fire-charred red peppers, skinned and seeded,placed atop 30 thin-sliced garlic cloves in olive oil on a sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes at 350, turn and coat with the oil/garlic mix and back into the oven for 20 more minutes. Place in a Corning ware and leave in the fridge until the next day.

Baguette with a layer of peppers, thin-sliced provolone, mortadella, genoa salami and hot cappicola.

It's like eating candy.

Reaction Score
Not homemade, but simple. Bleu Squid in Old Mystic Village has a grilled cheese on huge bread, double the size of regular white bread. Inside, bleu cheese, bacon, tomato, and carmelized onions. Big enough to split with the wife. $7.50. It is great!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Ah, yes, the forgotten tomato sandwich of my youth! I know what I'm having tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I guess I'll reveal my pedestrian taste buds. Got 2 really. Both start with a kaiser roll or similar crisp crust sizable roll. Roast beef: very fresh beef (no hide the taste deli flavoring) medium thickness, horse radish and mayo, and a big, thick slice of a sweet onion. Egg: The roll is really critical here and lightly toast. 3 over firm eggs, bacon (3 crisp slices halved and arranged), little ground pepper, cheese of choice if feeling indulgent and this must be eaten with a full bodied cup of coffee on the side.
Thinly sliced rare roast beef, softened butter and blue cheese mixed together(50/50) and thin sliced sweet onion on sliced sourdough-

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I love a sizzled bologna (or hard salami) sandwich, too.

But my current favorite is a BALT: bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato on toasted hearty bread. The bacon needs to be crisp, the avocado soft enough to be spread on the toast. Mayo on the opposite slice, and plenty of salt and pepper.

I prefer the BELT: bacon, egg, lettuce, and tomato. Egg can be fried hard or scrambled. Best on white toast with pepper and mayo.

Another favorite is the Wimpy's Special: Cheeseburger on bun with thousand island sauce. The sauce was referred to as Wimpy Sauce because it was served at Wimpy's Drive In, a joint where I worked in high school. Car hops wore short skirts. Bless their hearts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ugh, the last time I went to Geno's, maybe 10 years ago now, the sandwich was terrible. I was embarrassed for the people who made it.

Can't upvote this enough. Lousy food, lousy people, lousy bigotry.

Reaction Score
Up to a year ago my usual Saturday lunch would be a simple 2 Hebrew Nation Knockwurst split hot dogs on rye bread with Guilden's Spicy Brown Mustard on both slices of rye with a slice of swiss cheese!
But now I vary my Saturday lunch, because Hebrew National took their 4 pack of knockwurst from $4.99 a package to $9.00 a package in 1 week! I loved those sandwiches but I loved them less at $9.00 a package!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom