OT: Favorite NBA Guard Of All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite NBA Guard Of All Time

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If I don't count UConn players, Oscar and Magic are tied for first place in my book. After that, Pete Maravich and Earl Monroe are in a virtual tie, just a hair behind the top pair.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sidney Moncrief. He was a scorer, but he also averaged over 5 rpg for 5 straight years from the guard position, and is considered one of if not the best defensive guard from his era. Knee problems finally wore him down. I suspect that if he had played 10 years later the scope technology would have been good enough to stretch out his prime another year or two and make him a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is probably the best player not in the Hall of Fame.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sidney Moncrief. He was a scorer, but he also averaged over 5 rpg for 5 straight years from the guard position, and is considered one of if not the best defensive guard from his era. Knee problems finally wore him down. I suspect that if he had played 10 years later the scope technology would have been good enough to stretch out his prime another year or two and make him a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is probably the best player not in the Hall of Fame.

Best known for a basket he made when it bounced off his head?

Was a big fan of Moncrief. Same thing about knee injuries for Andrew Toney. He had one or two injuries and boom, career was over.

Reaction Score
ITT: People who watched the NBA before UConn got good and then switched over to being UConn fans during the Dream season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Favorite team C’s so Jo Jo White.

Other than a Celtic (although he played there too) Tiny Archibald.
No kidding:
I scanned the answers, formed a mental picture for each name, and noted who I've never watched much because of shifting from NBA since UCONN flipped in the 90s.

Then I embraced the topic as written - "favorite" not "best."

If you read it that way, there's a case to be made for everyone appreciating and Liking @nelsonmuntz 's post. I did.

When has that happened?

It made me wanted to point that out and say there are really no wrong answers, unless (as with the Sheep Trivia thread) a factually incorrect answer is given. My example of such was going to be a fictional error named Archie Tinybald.
Timing.

Reaction Score

Was a big fan of Moncrief. Same thing about knee injuries for Andrew Toney. He had one or two injuries and boom, career was over.
Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, Marvin Delph. Univ of Arkansas, Best short college basketball team of all time. Three jumping jacks, all three only 6'4.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I thought I read a quote one time by Michael Jordan where he said that Sidney Moncrief was the best defender he ever played against, but I can't find it now.

His Bucks teams were always the second or third best in the East behind the Celtics and the 76ers, so he never made the NBA Finals.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Gary Payton, the “Glove”. He could really control the game on both ends and even gave MJ problems at times. Not to mentioned I had the “Glove” poster hanging up in my bedroom as a kid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought I read a quote one time by Michael Jordan where he said that Sidney Moncrief was the best defender he ever played against, but I can't find it now.

His Bucks teams were always the second or third best in the East behind the Celtics and the 76ers, so he never made the NBA Finals.

Was a big fan of him and those Bucks teams.

Reaction Score
An "if' name was Michael Ray Richardson of NY Knicks. The 'if' is for well known reasons.
But even the legendary Magic recognized him as one of the best opponents he ever played against.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Was a big fan of him and those Bucks teams.

They made 3 of 4 Eastern Conference finals between 1983 and 1986, and they were good from about 1981 to 1987.

They were missing a point guard. The early Moncrief teams had Marques Johnson and Junior Bridgeman on the wings, and a past-his-prime Bob Lanier in the post, but the best point guard they had was a mediocre Quinn Buckner. The mid-80's Bucks teams had Terry Cummings in the post, who was really good in his prime, and Pressey and Ricky Pierce on the wings, but were playing Moncrief out of position at point. If they just had an above average point guard they would have made an NBA Finals or two. They also had the bad luck of having their best team, in the 1985-1986 season, run right into a Celtics team that was one of the best of all time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fat Lever - he would have been a fantasy superstar if there was fantasy basketball back then. Filled up the stat sheet.

I know some of his big stats were because of Doug Moe's wacky style in Denver, but he was a good player regardless, and he did not have a lot of talent around him by the mid-80's.

Reaction Score
How is this even a thread?

Top 5 NBA guards all time: Kemba, Kemba, Kemba, Kemba and Kemba... because he SPITS hot fire

1)Kemba
2)Cardiac Kemba
3)Kemba Walker
4)Walker, Kemba
5)Shabazz Napier

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Manu
2. Kobe

Although sometimes it’s reversed. Curry and Nash are a distant third and fourth, with Jeremy Lin coming in at fifth. (Non Uconn players)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom