OT: Favorite NBA Guard Of All Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite NBA Guard Of All Time

Reaction Score
Since Jason Williams was said a few times, I'll go with Rajon Rondo. Basketball IQ is through the roof, incredible instincts for the game, but attitude held him back. To use a more common phrase from the soccer realm, I'd call him a troubled genius

Reaction Score
One has a tendency to sentimentalize things from childhood which in my case was watching Oscar glide around on black and white tv. If you Youtube him he doesn’t seem to start and stop but he is in perpetual smooth motion no matter what he does. Don’t see dunking because wasn’t it banned for awhile? The ball faking to get his shot when guarded closely is art.

Reaction Score
Bob Cousy.

As a kid in the 60s, every time someone made a sensational play you would hear, "Who do you think you are, Bob Cousy?"

Reaction Score
They made 3 of 4 Eastern Conference finals between 1983 and 1986, and they were good from about 1981 to 1987.

They were missing a point guard. The early Moncrief teams had Marques Johnson and Junior Bridgeman on the wings, and a past-his-prime Bob Lanier in the post, but the best point guard they had was a mediocre Quinn Buckner. The mid-80's Bucks teams had Terry Cummings in the post, who was really good in his prime, and Pressey and Ricky Pierce on the wings, but were playing Moncrief out of position at point. If they just had an above average point guard they would have made an NBA Finals or two. They also had the bad luck of having their best team, in the 1985-1986 season, run right into a Celtics team that was one of the best of all time.

True - I grew up just south of Milwaukee so I followed the Bucks religiously at that age (my early teen years). So disappointed they could never get over the hump.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Throwing out Huskies/Celtics I grew up wanting to be Steve Francis and Vince Carter.

Reaction Score
John Starks was a certified badass. That dunk over Ho Grant with MJ trying to help on the backside ....
Had lunch next to John Starks at Mr. Leo's (now closed) in NYC and chatted with him briefly. Seemed like a pretty nice guy. He was with the most beautiful woman in the world so he gets points for that.
But favorite has to be MJ.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The man Red Auerbach called the greatest Celtic of all time … Dennis Johnson. (That was back when being a Celtic meant something)

Reaction Score
How about Celtics swingman John Havlicek.? Havlicek was a small forward & shooting guard, but could play at point guard when required. He was 8 and 0 in NBA finals. Bill Russell said of him, "he is the best all - around ball player I ever saw". Not too bad as a compliment. Also Nate "Tiny" Archibald in his prime was amazing. The old Dwitt Clinton High product from the Bronx was a seven time NBA All Star. Too many callow youth and know nothings out there (thank god for Red Deutsch out of Jersey City, NJ) who think that Michael Jordan invented basketball.

Reaction Score
The man Red Auerbach called the greatest Celtic of all time … Dennis Johnson. (That was back when being a Celtic meant something)

Larry Bird said pretty much the same thing about DJ. Great clutch player.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Jerry West. There's a reason his silhouette is the NBA logo.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird said pretty much the same thing about DJ. Great clutch player.

DJ was a guy who did the "little" things when they were needed which did not always show up in the box score, tip a pass, grab a clutch rebound, draw a foul and make the shot, he was the "go to" guy on a team full of All Stars/Hall of Famers, remember that, while Bird stole the Pistons' inbounding pass, it was DJ who anticipated it happening, cut to the hoop, received Bird's feed and made the reverse layup all in about 2-3 seconds.

But in full disclosure I'm a Celtic homer, 100%, and proud of it.

Reaction Score
Had lunch next to John Starks at Mr. Leo's (now closed) in NYC and chatted with him briefly. Seemed like a pretty nice guy. He was with the most beautiful woman in the world so he gets points for that.
But favorite has to be MJ.

Played golf in Stamford with JS a couple of times at Sterling Farms, nice public course where he, Allen Houston, Herb Williams and other Knicks sometimes played (they certainly were not going to be joining a Fairfield County private club for reasons that hopefully need not be explained). Nice guy, really wanted to become a better golfer, got to know him well enough to ask which persona was the "real" JS, the polite, quiet guy I was riding around a golf course with, or the in-your face, trash talking punk on the NBA courts. His response was interesting, said the trash talking was mostly for show or simply let the other guy know who had the bigger d*ck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom