OT: Eeep! Rutgers! | The Boneyard

OT: Eeep! Rutgers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son has gotten a slew of emails from colleges hoping he'll take a look at them. Some are of interest, others - not so much. He's started getting literature from Rutgers recently. Now, as a Clarkson grad I can live with my son going to RPI, sorta, but whatever will I do if he goes to Rutgers?!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no shame in that.

Rutgers is one of the finest universities in greater New Brunswick. Top two or three, I believe.

And there are a few days in late spring where the campus is almost not entirely awful if you look at it from a distance. And squint - it definitely looks better if you squint.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
When ursusminor got a letter from Rutgers, I sent 'em a blunt email, explaining why I'd never be writing them a tuition check.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My son has gotten a slew of emails from colleges hoping he'll take a look at them. Some are of interest, others - not so much. He's started getting literature from Rutgers recently. Now, as a Clarkson grad I can live with my son going to RPI, sorta, but whatever will I do if he goes to Rutgers?!
Flag the email as spam, burn the paper mail (do they still do that?)...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When ursusminor got a letter from Rutgers, I sent 'em a blunt email, explaining why I'd never be writing them a tuition check.
Something a good parent would do.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My oldest daughter as a teenager, when they thrive on pushing the right buttons, kept informing me it was coming down to Tennessee or Duke. Let me add that this is the same daughter from our three offspring that has claimed she'll put her parents in a refrigerator box when they get old.

This past May she graduated from the Honors program at UConn. She is now living with us until she gets married next month, and dares to keep using my UConn coffee mug before I get to it. I swear I did not brainwash her .... much.

Reaction Score

Wait... did you really? I think you're messing with us. I'm not sure.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yup, I did. This was just after Cappiegate, which I won't rehash here, but I was mighty P'O'd about that. Mind you, I got a "daemon" message saying the email didn't go through, and I let it go, but I did write one and send it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When I was 16, I was freaking out about college. The 34 year old me would tell the 16 year old me the following:

-Your choice of school is absolutely important and the first real adult decision you make...but it's not as important as it seems right now.

-Where you go to school is more important than where you go to school. That is, unless you're going to an internationally known brand like Yale or MIT, think about somewhere you'd like to live for four years in an area you'd like to start your career. Location is important. College shouldn't be wasted in a crappy location.

-Doing well academically and networking once you go to school is far more important than which school you attended. And with each passing year of actual job experience you have, your choice of school matters less.

-Never, ever make a college choice based on where your high school sweetheart is going. If that's who you were truly meant to be with, you'll find your way back to each other eventually. And more likely than not, it isn't.

-At some point in your freshman year, you'll be miserable. By the time you graduate, you'll hate leaving.

-There are advantages to big schools and small schools. Be honest with yourself as far as what you're most likely to enjoy.

-Because of my second point, I'd strongly advise against Rutgers. Princeton or bust if you're thinking Jersey.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
When I was 16, I was freaking out about college. The 34 year old me would tell the 16 year old me the following:

-Your choice of school is absolutely important and the first real adult decision you make...but it's not as important as it seems right now.

-Where you go to school is more important than where you go to school. That is, unless you're going to an internationally known brand like Yale or MIT, think about somewhere you'd like to live for four years in an area you'd like to start your career. Location is important. College shouldn't be wasted in a crappy location.

-Doing well academically and networking once you go to school is far more important than which school you attended. And with each passing year of actual job experience you have, your choice of school matters less.

-Never, ever make a college choice based on where your high school sweetheart is going. If that's who you were truly meant to be with, you'll find your way back to each other eventually. And more likely than not, it isn't.

-At some point in your freshman year, you'll be miserable. By the time you graduate, you'll hate leaving.

-There are advantages to big schools and small schools. Be honest with yourself as far as what you're most likely to enjoy.

-Because of my second point, I'd strongly advise against Rutgers. Princeton or bust if you're thinking Jersey.

I've been to a few colleges, either as a student or as an instructor. Your networking comment struck a chord with me as that seemed to be the main distinguishing characteristic of Ivy League students from public college students. Some students I taught were not very bright (IMO), but they knew how to network and persevere their way to success.

I tell young people that networking and perseverance are the keys to advanced degrees and success in general, not intelligence. I also tell them that unless they know precisely what they want from a college at the start, and which colleges best delivers that for them, they are better off going to a small school where they stand a better chance of knowing the faculty. I did not follow my own advice, but hindsight is 20/20 and I obviously don't regret attending UConn as an undergrad. My kids did not follow my advice either, but that's nothing new.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nan, I know you are just joking but since this is an important life decision and I think you being a little unfair by just using this as an opportunity to rip that institution. You need to help him consider all the benefits of attending Rutgers. For example, at Rutgers your son would have the advantage of, um, you know he would be able to, it's a unique opportunity because... ah, I got nothing...carry on.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Any interest in Duke? I know a certain Duke Law School graduate who be happy to write a reference letter...

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Point out to him that Rutgers is Latin for lackluster.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OK, already. But while you enjoy picking on us, can I just point out that, while it ain't Princeton, a Rutgers education actually isn't bad. It is a very respectable research and teaching institution.

The problem is, to my thinking anyway, that budget cuts have affected that some, as the ranking is not quite as high as when I attended in the '70's. The consolidation of the separate colleges (Rutgers, Cook, Douglass, Livingston, etc.) into one school of liberal arts probably had an indeterminate effect.

Where you are all quite correct is that Rutgers does not have an "attractive" campus (there are nice parts). New Brunswick, which was a bit dumpy when I was in school, has been much upgraded with decent theater and some fine restaurants. And the train will whisk you to NY or Philly in under an hour.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OK, already. But while you enjoy picking on us, can I just point out that, while it ain't Princeton, a Rutgers education actually isn't bad. It is a very respectable research and teaching institution.

The problem is, to my thinking anyway, that budget cuts have affected that some, as the ranking is not quite as high as when I attended in the '70's. The consolidation of the separate colleges (Rutgers, Cook, Douglass, Livingston, etc.) into one school of liberal arts probably had an indeterminate effect.

Where you are all quite correct is that Rutgers does not have an "attractive" campus (there are nice parts). New Brunswick, which was a bit dumpy when I was in school, has been much upgraded with decent theater and some fine restaurants. And the train will whisk you to NY or Philly in under an hour.

I know but it's always the tormenting that is fun.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
To steal a bit and cheat a bit from contemporary politics... It's about the money stupid, the money!!! (What's it gonna cost everyplace???)

Reaction Score

if one considered everything that the location of rutgers offered, i dare say they might very well advise for rutgers. i may be wrong, but you sound very much like one of those people who judge new jersey based upon their view from the jersey turnpike. the cultural offerings of new york city, the historical offerings philadelphia and eastern pennsylvania, the raw beauty of south jersey's pine forest, the recreational offerings of the jersey shore and mountainous areas of north jersey and pennsylvania, and unmatched employment opportunities are just a few reasons to consider rutgers. all of this within a couple of hours of new brunswick. i am biased, as i grew up in new jersey, but i see few, if any, areas of this country that offer more. and rutgers is right in the middle of it all. oh , and it's a very good university. maybe you just got off at the wrong exit.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Rutgers was good enuff for CD. So, that could count for something.

But then they did choose CViv over her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
if one considered everything that the location of rutgers offered, i dare say they might very well advise for rutgers. i may be wrong, but you sound very much like one of those people who judge new jersey based upon their view from the jersey turnpike. the cultural offerings of new york city, the historical offerings philadelphia and eastern pennsylvania, the raw beauty of south jersey's pine forest, the recreational offerings of the jersey shore and mountainous areas of north jersey and pennsylvania, and unmatched employment opportunities are just a few reasons to consider rutgers. all of this within a couple of hours of new brunswick. i am biased, as i grew up in new jersey, but i see few, if any, areas of this country that offer more. and rutgers is right in the middle of it all. oh , and it's a very good university. maybe you just got off at the wrong exit.
A) It's a state university in a region of the country that diverts significant state monies from universities to private schools. It's not a very good university; it's decent at best.

B) Go to a good college town sometime. You'll notice that the people there don't say, "Oh we're so close to X". Folks in Athens love Athens; the proximity to Atlanta, though convenient for some things and great post-graduation from a professional standpoint, is not a primary focus. There are a number of great college towns around the country: Austin, Athens, Chapel Hill, Eugene, Ann Arbor, and the Amherst/Northampton/Holyoke area to name a few. There are also some great cities that happen to have colleges, such as NYC, DC, Chicago, and Seattle. And then there is Boston, which is both a great city and a great college town. New Brunswick, NJ doesn't fit into any of those categories. If you want to go to college in NYC, you go to NYU, Columbia, CUNY, or any number of colleges. If you want to go to school in Philly, Penn, Temple, Drexel, and a few other schools are options. If you like rural locations, there are any number of colleges in rural areas, and if you like the beach, there are some fine schools where the beach is just a stone's throw away (and MUCH nicer beaches than Jersey Shore, if it comes to that). Suffice it to say that if you want to go to college in NYC, Philly, Eastern PA, a rural area, or a beach town, you don't go to school in New Brunswick. What's within a three-hour radius is pretty irrelevant.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Any interest in Duke? I know a certain Duke Law School graduate who be happy to write a reference letter...

Not the oldest boy. He's going to be a mechanical engineer, probably with an electrical engineering minor. He wants to stay in the Northeast and happily for him, there are many good schools that fit the bill up here. We'll keep you in mind for the younger kid, though, especially for Duke Law. That boy can argue circles around people and make you believe up is down. He'd make a great lawyer.
True, true. But my boy still isn't going there :) If it makes you feel any better, he's also unmoved by the absolute avalanche of literature from Pitt, too. I don't know if Pitt is after my son in particular or if it's just desperate for students. My son also got a laugh out of the contact from Kentucky ("An SEC school, Mom! Ha ha ha"")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom