OT Durant to Warriors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Durant to Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Gotta hand it to Jerry West he reaches out to Durant at the last minute and it worked, he reals in another star player.

Jerry West had zero to do with this.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Let's going back to being competitive and going at these peoples!"

Until it's my turn...

"Well, I tried that for 7 years and didn't work out, so..."

Obviously I'm disappointed as a Celts fan he didn't pick Boston but man, signing with literally any team other than GSW (maybe the Lakers excluded) would have said KD wanted to create a legacy. Picking GSW means he doesn't mind riding coattails. I just think it's really weird. But I'm not a beta/follower.

This is 100x worse than LeBron signing with Miami. At least he was the alpha and led that team. And then he went back to Cleveland and really cemented his legacy. KD'll never be legend. He just guaranteed it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Stuff like this is exactly why I can't stand the NBA. It is the only professional league that teams consistently tank to clear cap space and to try to win a draft lottery. If your team is not one of the top 2 or 3 seeds in the conference, it has virtually no chance of making a serious title run. The superstars in this league seem to run the show, in terms of how teams operate and build. You can't sign a Kevin Durant without having Steph Curry. You can't sign any superstar without another superstar already in place to get on his knees and slobber all great it will be to win championships together. It is also the only league that 100% of the general public can tell you exactly who is going to be in next year's NBA Finals and be absolutely, without a doubt, correct. Warriors vs Cavs. There is absolutely zero incentive for a fan of any other team to watch the NBA next year or have any glimmer of hope that their team can reach the finals. They can't, without a boat load of injuries to the Warriors or Cavs.

I don't blame anyone from utilizing their rights as a free agent. Every player should be trying to earn every possible dollar he can get. It's when these super teams start forming that the NBA as a general product suffers. I haven't watched NBA basketball in years. I root for Huskies to do well in the NBA and that's it. The intrigue to watch the next season is lost before the league's offseason gets out of July. No other major professional sport has less drama or intrigue than the NBA.

Reaction Score
How anyone can have allegiance to a team is beyond me. Stars come and go, change jerseys like their changing sheets on a bed. Hell, Rondo is a Bull now. NBA teams are so dynamic you need to buy multiple programs a year to keep up with rosters.

Makes me respect Kobe a little more.

Reaction Score

This -- which came about 18 hours before the announcement -- amuses me, given how often we stalk potential recruits on twitter/snapchat/etc.

Social media matters. Canary in the coalmine in this case.

Haralabob actually called it yesterday, pretty interesting that one of the sports world's biggest gamblers had this info

Reaction Score
The hypocrisy from people on this sort of stuff is off the charts. The same people that slam KD for a "lack of competitiveness" are the same ones that will later decry the sport of basketball and the NBA specifically for promoting the star over the team. You can't have it both ways; you can't portray Kobe as an egomaniac and terrible teammate and then kill LeBron or KD for conforming to a lot of what we claim team sports are supposed to be about (sacrifice, team glory over personal glory, the willingness to co-exist with others, etc.).

Now, that being said, do I like the move? No. He had more than enough to win with in Oklahoma City, and when you join the team that beat you (in part because of your own shortcomings in game six), perhaps it does reveal some level of apathy about you as a competitor.

But I bet a lot of people in this thread don't have a problem with five top ten recruits committing to play for Geno (I don't know whether that's actually the case, but the point stands) every couple years. Somehow, in college sports, nobody has a problem with programs hoarding a radically disproportionate rate of top talent, and nobody questions the competitiveness of the athletes that decide they'd rather sustain a tradition of greatness instead of forging their own legacy elsewhere.

Self-interest always obscures the idealistic definition of team sport. Talk shows like First Take lead the way in cultivating a comically narcissistic sports landscape (how is such and such going to effect this guys legacy?!?) that is actually contradictory in more ways than one.

Stephen A. Smith can shriek at the top of his lungs about how this is the softest move he's ever seen or something like that. He's also the one that (and he's not alone on this) allows independent variables to skew his perception of individuals to extremes that perpetuate decisions like this one. It strikes me as hollow, then, when criticism pours in from the same people who will be the first to discard the nuance that a true dialogue on a players worth demands by covering their ears and pointing to their inability to achieve the pinnacle of team success.

Reaction Score
The hypocrisy from people on this sort of stuff is off the charts. The same people that slam KD for a "lack of competitiveness" are the same ones that will later decry the sport of basketball and the NBA specifically for promoting the star over the team. You can't have it both ways; you can't portray Kobe as an egomaniac and terrible teammate and then kill LeBron or KD for conforming to a lot of what we claim team sports are supposed to be about (sacrifice, team glory over personal glory, the willingness to co-exist with others, etc.).

Now, that being said, do I like the move? No. He had more than enough to win with in Oklahoma City, and when you join the team that beat you (in part because of your own shortcomings in game six), perhaps it does reveal some level of apathy about you as a competitor.

But I bet a lot of people in this thread don't have a problem with five top ten recruits committing to play for Geno (I don't know whether that's actually the case, but the point stands) every couple years. Somehow, in college sports, nobody has a problem with programs hoarding a radically disproportionate rate of top talent, and nobody questions the competitiveness of the athletes that decide they'd rather sustain a tradition of greatness instead of forging their own legacy elsewhere.

Self-interest always obscures the idealistic definition of team sport. Talk shows like First Take lead the way in cultivating a comically narcissistic sports landscape (how is such and such going to effect this guys legacy?!?) that is actually contradictory in more ways than one.

Stephen A. Smith can shriek at the top of his lungs about how this is the softest move he's ever seen or something like that. He's also the one that (and he's not alone on this) allows independent variables to skew his perception of individuals to extremes that perpetuate decisions like this one. It strikes me as hollow, then, when criticism pours in from the same people who will be the first to discard the nuance that a true dialogue on a players worth demands by covering their ears and pointing to their inability to achieve the pinnacle of team success.
Strange post.

Reaction Score
I'll say this, I think there is a point of diminishing returns. If you have too mesh cooks in the kitchen, the product might not be as good as if you have 1 or 2 cooks in the kitchen. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't be shocked if kds gsw team isn't as good as the previous one

Reaction Score
Looking at this from Golden State's perspective, is Durant really the missing piece for another championship? I realize he is a great scorer, and that he'll sell a * load of tickets and jerseys, but is he really what this team needs to get over the hump?

I watched Lebron James impose his physical will on GS in the last 3 games of the series, and they had zero answer for him. He attacked the rim like a man possessed, and along with Tristan Thompson's timely inside play, changed the dynamic of the series.

If I was GS's GM I'd be chasing some players who bring toughness, rebounding and intangibles to the table. GS has scorers, and unless the plan is to play like the late 80's Nuggets putting up 130 every night, money could be better spent on a Rodman or Ben Wallace type to do the dirty work that the stars don't. Set screens, block shots, get rebounds, defend the paint with hard but legal fouls. That's where my money would be going.

Reaction Score
if I were in Durants position, I wouldn't have made the move. But he wants a championship--he can do what he wants to get it. I feel like he's recognized he will never be an all-time player like lebron and this move signals he just wants to win. Maybe the public isn't ready to concede that.

I'm going to be bold and say I think this move makes GSW worse, but not by much. Maybe a 65-17 team. I think GSW has had a really fine balance of chemistry and skills that fell into place and anything--even a good player--could mess that up.. im not a close enough follower of the nba to have a valuable opinion, just a gut feeling.

Does draymond willingly become the 4th guy? He's trying to bust out as one of the leagues premier players right now and people are saying it's only bc of the team he is on. He knows this.

Who has the ball in their hands at crunch time, curry or Durant?

Can all 4 of these superstars play TEAM first?

That being said... Can I imagine lebron and co. beating these 4 superstars? Hell no. Love is a terrible defender and a softie, and Kyrie is an enigma. Brilliant in the finals overall, but not living up to his hype. He was supposed to be curry when he came in the league...

The insane part about lebron is how much he elevates the team. The cavs were a dumpster fire before he came. Immediately they became a title contender. Can Durant say that? No. and I don't think any other player in the league can make the claim. Lebron may not have been the MVP but he is TRULY the most VALUABLE player. His team is junk without him. GSW is a 60 win team without curry.

Reaction Score
All my respect for Durant is gone. I wanted more than anything for him and Westbrook to win a ring together. Now I can't root harder against him. This just shows that Durant has no faith in himself to lead a team. Such a weak move for a player I had respected so much. Never thought he'd actually go to GS, wow.

Reaction Score
Harrison Barnes was terrible in the playoffs... He gets $24mm per year from Dallas and GSW get KD for $27mm. They should be allowed to pay superstars more but with a bad cap hit to go to a new team.

Love how quickly Barnes packed his bags.:D

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I have a feeling this is as much about Westbrook as anything. He is due for free agency next year I believe. What if he gave indications he was looking to leave when the two are talking? If that's the case, I think getting off the sinking ship isn't a bad move now. I would run, not walk, to GSW if that was me. We may not know the facts but I think this isn't a real strong vote of confidence they would be able to keep the two together in OKC.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling this is as much about Westbrook as anything. He is due for free agency next year I believe. What if he gave indications he was looking to leave when the two are talking? If that's the case, I think getting off the sinking ship isn't a bad move now. I would run, not walk, to GSW if that was me. We may not know the facts but I think this isn't a real strong vote of confidence they would be able to keep the two together in OKC.
I always thought he should leave - Presti has shown zero ability to put the right pieces around a championship core, and there's a good chance Westbrook leaves in a year anyway.

But going to the team that - in the last two years - has a title and a 73-win season?I'm all for free agency and Durant had every right to make this move, but from a purely competitive standpoint it's pretty soft.

None of us know what he values, so maybe being the alpha on a championship team isn't as important to him. But if we're talking legacy (which comes up a lot in the NBA), it's tough to imagine this doesn't hurt him.

Reaction Score
KD has zero legacy now, or with GSW. He could have gone to C's and created one. Now he will be a follower @ GSW. No one will respect this even if he wins there. Plus he'll be boo'd at every place and he was a guy everyone liked.

Stupid move honestly. And funny his choke job led to this when OKC had a 3-1 lead. Amazing he did this honestly given that. He's a joke regardless of his skills and $$.

Player has to win ring(s) to be considered "great."

Player is a "coward" for joining team which maximizes chance at ring.

#SportsFanLogic

Reaction Score
KD has zero legacy now, or with GSW. He could have gone to C's and created one. Now he will be a follower @ GSW. No one will respect this even if he wins there. Plus he'll be boo'd at every place and he was a guy everyone liked.

Stupid move honestly. And funny his choke job led to this when OKC had a 3-1 lead. Amazing he did this honestly given that. He's a joke regardless of his skills and $$.

My thoughts exactly.

Reaction Score
Looking at this from Golden State's perspective, is Durant really the missing piece for another championship? I realize he is a great scorer, and that he'll sell a * load of tickets and jerseys, but is he really what this team needs to get over the hump?

I watched Lebron James impose his physical will on GS in the last 3 games of the series, and they had zero answer for him. He attacked the rim like a man possessed, and along with Tristan Thompson's timely inside play, changed the dynamic of the series.

If I was GS's GM I'd be chasing some players who bring toughness, rebounding and intangibles to the table. GS has scorers, and unless the plan is to play like the late 80's Nuggets putting up 130 every night, money could be better spent on a Rodman or Ben Wallace type to do the dirty work that the stars don't. Set screens, block shots, get rebounds, defend the paint with hard but legal fouls. That's where my money would be going.
Go back to the Finals and think of all the bricks Harrison Barnes put up games 3-7 off either wide open jumpers or mismatches on a big because of the Cavs selling out to stop Curry and Thompson, now replace Barnes with Durant. Warriors still should have won that series if Curry shows up in games 5&7 at home, Green wasn't going around punching and kicking *****, or if Kerr didn't put on one of the worst game 7 coaching performances of all time, but there's really no overstating what a massive upgrade Durant is over Barnes. They still need to find some big men on the cheap because you can't play Green 40 minutes at C, but the whole toughness/intangible stuff is fluff, they choked up that lead due to much bigger factors with their offense. Durant changes all of that.

Reaction Score
Go back to the Finals and think of all the bricks Harrison Barnes put up games 3-7 off either wide open jumpers or mismatches on a big because of the Cavs selling out to stop Curry and Thompson, now replace Barnes with Durant. Warriors still should have won that series if Curry shows up in games 5&7 at home, Green wasn't going around punching and kicking *****, or if Kerr didn't put on one of the worst game 7 coaching performances of all time, but there's really no overstating what a massive upgrade Durant is over Barnes. They still need to find some big men on the cheap because you can't play Green 40 minutes at C, but the whole toughness/intangible stuff is fluff, they choked up that lead due to much bigger factors with their offense. Durant changes all of that.

There was definitely some choking on shots by Barnes, Curry and Thompson, but when I think of game 6 and 7, I think of Lebron James and Tristan Thompson destroying GS inside. Maybe Durant makes some of those open shots and a game 6 or 7 never happens, but just as possible maybe trying to shoehorn in another scorer throws off the chemistry of an offense that won 73 Games in a season.

Reaction Score
There was definitely some choking on shots by Barnes, Curry and Thompson, but when I think of game 6 and 7, I think of Lebron James and Tristan Thompson destroying GS inside. Maybe Durant makes some of those open shots and a game 6 or 7 never happens, but just as possible maybe trying to shoehorn in another scorer throws off the chemistry of an offense that won 73 Games in a season.

Even if you want to take that angle (which I think was true to some degree for games 5 and 6 but not game 7), Durant is an upgrade over Barnes defensively. I don't know where he rates out defensively during the regular season (most seem to indicate he's above average), but in the postseason I couldn't have been more impressed with the way he was changing games defensively. He's so good of a scorer that we forget he's a super-human @ 7 feet who can slide with guards and use his length to negate strength deficits.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Haralabob actually called it yesterday, pretty interesting that one of the sports world's biggest gamblers had this info

And everybody immediately said that if he actually knew that to be true, he wouldn't have shared it.

Reaction Score
Even if you want to take that angle (which I think was true to some degree for games 5 and 6 but not game 7), Durant is an upgrade over Barnes defensively. I don't know where he rates out defensively during the regular season (most seem to indicate he's above average), but in the postseason I couldn't have been more impressed with the way he was changing games defensively. He's so good of a scorer that we forget he's a super-human @ 7 feet who can slide with guards and use his length to negate strength deficits.

My point isn't to rag on Durant. He is an All League Player. My question is does a team that won 73 Games already need another primary scorer? JMO but the physical play of Lebron and Thompson along with Irving stepping his game up was the difference in the series. If the Cavs continued to play into GS's Hands with an up tempo shootout type series they likely lose in 5. When Cleveland got physical GS couldn't hang.

Reaction Score
Love how quickly Barnes packed his bags.:D
Mavs had already made a max offer for him. GS had said if they didn't get Durant they'd match, but if they did they couldn't afford him so the second Durant decided, Barnes knew where he'd be playing next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom