OT Durant to Warriors | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT Durant to Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If folks are going to discuss whether racism is still bubbling in Boston, or anywhere else in the world, you should probably state what race you are. Stating the obvious, but if you're a white dude, and mingle with mostly folks that look like you, I mean cmon...
I'm a white dude with a lot of white friends and out of other races I have more black friends than anything. As a white guy I think you get a pretty good idea about who is racist and over time you will tend to hear some screwed up stuff when it's an all white group of friends acquaintances as opposed to a racially mixed group. People are pretty damn good about not saying that stuff in mixed company.

Reaction Score
I think we both agree that the country is headed in a positive direction, especially in regards to race. But. Maybe consider that your experience isn't the same as everyone's experience. Not only white vs. black. But white collar vs. blue collar.
I've heard it from blue collar guys but some of the most racist vile things I've heard are from highly educated guys who make a ton of money, Wall Street types. When they feel they are in the company of their own you hear some messed up stuff. Most of the things I've heard are in the presence of alcohol where people's true colors come out.

Reaction Score
I'm just old, I guess. His s___ is terrible to me.
I think he's mid 30's but I agree he's a part of the terrible new school of rap. It's sad that all the best rappers now are still the guys we listened to in the mid 90's and they are all approaching their mid 40's.

Reaction Score
Glad you admit that it's at best a within-class issue, not some specific Bostonian racial issue.

Unless you're going to argue Boston is mostly a Blue-collar city, in which case LOL

I think it is 100% a class issue. I just objected to your idea of race issues in Boston being insignificant. I can only speak on my own experience. My fathers side of the family is white, upper class, well educated people with an extremely progressive view of society. My mothers side is white, blue collar (electricians, carpenters, mechanics). None college educated. Racist as F. My personal experience has greatly influenced my interpretation of race relations. I don't think its far off, but I am probably wrong, and willing to listen to dissenters.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Ern's around the same age as me, I love being this age. My 20's were fun but at that age you really don't know s__t.
Cute how the guy who uses two anecdotes regarding trash he's met from s__tty parts of a city is implying I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
I think it is 100% a class issue. I just objected to your idea of race issues in Boston being insignificant. I can only speak on my own experience. My fathers side of the family is white, upper class, well educated people with an extremely progressive view of society. My mothers side is white, blue collar (electricians, carpenters, mechanics). None college educated. Racist as F. My personal experience has greatly influenced my interpretation of race relations. I don't think its far off, but I am probably wrong, and willing to listen to dissenters.
And would you say the city as a whole is more white or blue collar? Where do you need to go to find these racist blue collars (is it at any old bar in the city proper, or do you need to strap on a vest and find it deep in C-town)?
I believe the city to those who live there now is mostly white collar and young and that the racism is on the fringes. Again, I believe that now in 2016 someone's story about "well I met this one chick and she said..." is irrelevant to one's perception of the city as a whole.

This day in age, the majority of Muslims don't believe in a global jihad. But we certainly have examples of those who still believe as such. Do we give any credence to those idiots when we evaluate Islam as a religion? Christianity once vilified homosexuality, some fringe Christians still do, and some of use have anecdotal experience with homosexual Christians; do we still consider Christians a grossly homophohic people?

Reaction Score
I'm just old, I guess. His s___ is terrible to me.

I can't argue that its good. Bad habit. When I am going to go play ball, I am going to listen to Future, Schoolboy Q, Rocky and Travis Scott. Definitely no Beethoven but every type of music has its place.

Reaction Score
Cute how the guy who uses two anecdotes regarding trash he's met from s__tty parts of a city is implying I don't know what I'm talking about.
I was making a general statement about people not knowing much at a young age. I thought I knew a lot but with life experiences comes knowledge. I have way more experiences now than I did in my early 20's. Anyways, what does my two stories about Boston people have to do with knowing s__t and having life experiences? I also don't consider South Boston a sh___ty place.

Reaction Score
I can't argue that its good. Bad habit. When I am going to go play ball, I am going to listen to Future, Schoolboy Q, Rocky and Travis Scott. Definitely no Beethoven but every type of music has its place.

Yeah there's plenty of trash rap that I like, but I just cannot, for the life of me, see the appeal of Future. Watch the Stretch and Bobbito documentary on their show on WKCR. That, to me, was the peak. I still have cassettes I made off of that show.

Reaction Score
This is a good example of what John is talking about re: age. I might have said the same thing when I was 22.
And you've lived in Boston from 22 to what age, having lived where, and what has all that experience taught you?

Reaction Score
He's just pointing out how classist and wrong your statement is. Racism isn't a class thing, and just because Boston has gotten more gentrified/yuppified whatever word you want to use, it doesn't mean racism is gone. It has gotten better as it's gotten better across the whole country with time. There are plenty of highly educated and uber rich racists, one of them happens to still be running for president. Some of those racist guys I met from those "s__thole" neighborhoods I met in boarding school and college.

Reaction Score
He's just pointing out how classist and wrong your statement is. Racism isn't a class thing, and just because Boston has gotten more gentrified/yuppified whatever word you want to use, it doesn't mean racism is gone. It has gotten better as it's gotten better across the whole country with time. There are plenty of highly educated and uber rich racists, one of them happens to still be running for president. Some of those racist guys I met from those "s__thole" neighborhoods I met in boarding school and college.
Okay so you concede Boston is on as an upward trajectory as is the rest of the country, rendering your entire original point invalid

Reaction Score
That the world is complicated and, while I thought I had it figured out at 22, I was just naive and self-absorbed. You'll grow out of it.
And in which post was I proclaiming "I've figured it out"?

Reaction Score
Okay so you concede Boston is on as an upward trajectory as is the rest of the country, rendering your entire original point invalid
That was exactly my original point and then you got offended that I told stories about some of my racist experiences with people from Boston and you twisted my words and claimed I said everyone in Boston is racist, I naturally attract trash, I watch Matt Damon movies and some other cr@p. . . . . . . . . . . I'm not conceding anything, my whole original point is that Boston has gotten better about race as has the rest of the country. When Patrick Ewing was the best schoolboy basketball player Boston had ever seen, people were throwing bananas and making monkey noises at him When Bill Russell was winning championships for the city of Boston racists were decorating the interior of his house with feces. Yes, things have gotten better. . . . . . . . . . .My only advice to you would be to grow up. Here is the first thing in the thread I said about Boston and race- "I've met some really racist people from Boston but I have to imagine the whole Boston is a racist town stuff is more a relic of the past."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lived there three years 2012-2015. Never met one.

I've lived in metro Boston since 1999, including a couple of years in Southie, and neither have I, except from a few Black guys. Growing up in CT in the 70's and 80's I heard it occasionally, almost exclusively from people of Italian heritage.

Reaction Score
I've been here a while and not personally seen any clear racism, but I know enough to not universalize my own experience as a white dude on racism. My friends of color definitely have stories.

The city's getting better and there are still issues are not mutually exclusive statements.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
And would you say the city as a whole is more white or

This day in age, the majority of Muslims don't believe in a global jihad. But we certainly have examples of those who still believe as such. Do we give any credence to those idiots when we evaluate Islam as a religion? Christianity once vilified homosexuality, some fringe Christians still do, and some of use have anecdotal experience with homosexual Christians; do we still consider Christians a grossly homophohic people?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin