OT Durant to Warriors | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT Durant to Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think people confuse racism with prejudice. I moved to the Boston area in 1999, and even lived in Southie for a couple of years. Those that opposed busing in Southie had many valid complaints, and busing was a terribly disruptive force. Did you get bused many miles away from your good friend who lived two doors down the street? That's what happened really, neighborhoods and relationships were destroyed. It was a mess.

I think Boston has improved a lot on race relations, but like most northern cities, lacks a well integrated African American middle class. The cities in the south are really much further along. But Boston sports fans certainly don't hesitate to support black athletes at this point in time.
There is no getting around the fact that Boston's history on race is abysmal, your comments sound like you are providing cover for racists/racist behaviot. I don't know you and I'm sure that isn't your intent but it's just what it sounds like. Boston's track record with black athletes is also abysmal. I'm sure there is still some lingering effects.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've met some really racist people from Boston but I have to imagine the whole Boston is a racist town stuff is more a relic of the past. I've met some really racist people in Chicago as well and they look a lot like your Boston racists. Mostly Irish people from neighborhoods that were all Irish a million years ago and became much more black in the 60's. They aren't too bright and think their neighborhoods and country has been stolen from them, on the national level these are your Trump supporters.

You meet really racist people everywhere in life, every city/town, every country in the world. Just part of life.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There is no getting around the fact that Boston's history on race is abysmal, your comments sound like you are providing cover for racists/racist behaviot. I don't know you and I'm sure that isn't your intent but it's just what it sounds like. Boston's track record with black athletes is also abysmal. I'm sure there is still some lingering effects.

Is there any in the last 20 years or so that have had serious issues? No idea myself.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Fair enough, but you'll find similar isolated incidents in every city.

I realize it's a media member, as opposed to a fan, but an example from NYC nonetheless: Don Imus' 'Nappy Headed Hoes' rant. Heck, even the Donald Sterling thing out in LA.

And there's a ridiculous amount of public racial slur examples from professional athletes themselves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It was abysmal. Mostly down to former owners like Tom Yawkey. Talk to anyone that's played there in more recent times and you don't get the same impressions. Paul Pierce loved it. Garnett did too, though was reluctant at first. The current Red Sox outfield dubbed itself the "Soul Patrol" as it's the only group of all African American OF in the league. It has definitely changed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Some places are obviously worse than others.

Agreed. I lived a number of places, and Boston had less observable racism than places like Dallas, Austin, Nashville, and even Philadelphia. I noticed more racial tension in my years in Australia too. Heck there was even a race 'war' in Sydney while I was there.

Reaction Score
It was abysmal. Mostly down to former owners like Tom Yawkey. Talk to anyone that's played there in more recent times and you don't get the same impressions. Paul Pierce loved it. Garnett did too, though was reluctant at first. The current Red Sox outfield dubbed itself the "Soul Patrol" as it's the only group of all African American OF in the league. It has definitely changed.
As a resident with a non-white wife, we haven't seen it bad. But it also experienced huge changes with the Big Dig and rapid gentrification. The city is almost entirely different than it was in the 1980s and early 1990s.

You're definitely not going to find anyone breaking into Horford's home and crapping on his bed like happened to Russell.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I lived a number of places, and Boston had less observable racism than places like Dallas, Austin, Nashville, and even Philadelphia. I noticed more racial tension in my years in Australia too. Heck there was even a race 'war' in Sydney while I was there.
I never lived in Boston but it was a bit shocking to me how many white people I've dealt with over the years from there who use the "N" word and other racist slang so freely and to people they just met.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I never lived in Boston but it was a bit shocking to me how many white people I've dealt with over the years from there who use the "N" word and other racist slang so freely and to people they just met.

Fair enough. I'm not discounting anyone else's experience. Just offering my own.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
As a resident with a non-white wife, we haven't seen it bad. But it also experienced huge changes with the Big Dig and rapid gentrification. The city is almost entirely different than it was in the 1980s and early 1990s.
As a Boston-area resident in a mixed race relationship, I can say that Boston was a more welcoming place than several locations I visited around 1o years ago - namely Atlanta and a couple of spots in Florida. SF, NYC and Chicago were great. I can't remember any incidents in a really long time, I think people are generally more tolerant now.

When I first moved up from Philly I was in a convenience store in downtown Boston in the early morning hours and a young guy walked in and proclaimed very loudly "I'm black, that's right, blah blah....." don't remember the rest. Coming from Philly where I spent most of my time in north Philly where I was usually the only white boy around, that was pretty damn funny to hear. I have not seen anything like that in a really long time.

Reaction Score
Lived there three years 2012-2015. Never met one.

Reaction Score
Lived there three years 2012-2015. Never met one.
You're lucky, I've met a bunch. Met an annoying girl at a bar a few months back who was visiting Chicago from Boston. She was one of those brutally annoying Boston women who tries to show how she isn't like other girls and knows more than every dude when it comes to sports. I had to tell her to get the hell away from me when she kept referring to basketball as n_g_er handball. I'll always remember visiting my friend's grandma's place in South Boston as young teens and she scolded us for wearing n_g_er pants. With an older lady like that it's more generational and not at all uncommon with that generation unfortunately. It's disturbing when you still hear it from younger people and I've met a bunch of them from Boston and these guys wear it like a badge of honor.

Reaction Score
You're lucky, I've met a bunch. Met an annoying girl at a bar a few months back who was visiting Chicago from Boston. She was one of those brutally annoying Boston women who tries to show how she isn't like other girls and knows more than every dude when it comes to sports. I had to tell her to get the hell away from me when she kept referring to basketball as n_g_er handball. I'll always remember visiting my friend's grandma's place in South Boston as young teens and she scolded us for wearing n_g_er pants. With an older lady like that it's more generational and not at all uncommon with that generation unfortunately. It's disturbing when you still hear it from younger people and I've met a bunch of them from Boston and these guys wear it like a badge of honor.
All that anecdote tells me is you naturally attract trash

Reaction Score
All that anecdote tells me is you naturally attract trash
Just have met a ton of people and don't consider people strangers, I try and talk to everyone. I'm sure it's changed a lot in the past 15 years but the guys I knew and met from Dorchester, Southie, Charleston were pretty openly racist. A friend got me a job years ago for a little while working at a refinery outside of Chicago with a bunch of guys who came up from Louisiana and a bunch of them talked like the Boston guys I'm talking about. There are racists everywhere and like I said, you're lucky you've never experienced it.

Reaction Score
Just have met a ton of people and don't consider people strangers, I try and talk to everyone. I'm sure it's changed a lot in the past 15 years but the guys I knew and met from Dorchester, Southie, Charleston were pretty openly racist. A friend got me a job years ago for a little while working at a refinery outside of Chicago with a bunch of guys who came up from Louisiana and a bunch of them talked like the Boston guys I'm talking about. There are racists everywhere and like I said, you're lucky you've never experienced it.
LMAO yeah it's just my dumb luck that in three recent whole years (one in Cambridge, two in the city proper) I never once heard a racial epiphet. Oh but you met some trash from Dorchester and saw a couple Matt Damon movies so Boston is still totally racist.

Reaction Score
LMAO yeah it's just my dumb luck that in three whole years (one in Cambridge, two in the city proper) I never once heard a racial epiphet. Oh but you met some trash from Dorchester so Boston is still totally racist.
Talk about putting words in my mouth. Is this really how you converse with people? I can't stand hearing racist garbage so I consider you lucky you never had to deal with people like this in your life.

Reaction Score
Talk about putting words in my mouth. Is this really how you converse with people? I can't stand hearing racist garbage so I consider you lucky you never had to deal with people like this in your life.
There's this new thing called 2016 where you really don't hear it anymore, depending on your surrounding crowd. Again, you're around the wrong people if you consider me lucky for not hearing such brash and obligatory racism. Extending past my time in Boston, I have heard the N word used in such a way literally once in my 26 years of life, in -hole Nevada (which is of course still one too many). Not sure which decade you're posting from.

edit what an amazing word filter

Reaction Score

I think its a generational thing. That poster is a young kid, and probably is associating with other young kids who tend to me more progressive and open minded (and less racist). Definitely a good thing, but just a little inexperienced in dealing with people outside of his circle.

Reaction Score
If folks are going to discuss whether racism is still bubbling in Boston, or anywhere else in the world, you should probably state what race you are. Stating the obvious, but if you're a white dude, and mingle with mostly folks that look like you, I mean cmon...

Reaction Score
I think its a generational thing. That poster is a young kid, and probably is associating with other young kids who tend to me more progressive and open minded (and less racist). Definitely a good thing, but just a little inexperienced in dealing with people outside of his circle.
Yup, I'm a younger guy, and I'm the one who actually lived there. It's not just my "circle." Boston as a city is becoming younger and younger and, go figure, the old, racist trash is dying out and/or on the fringes of Dorchester or buried in some side street in Southie or some corner deep in C-town with the Townies. If you mean those places by "outside my circle," then hell yeah they are, and that's where they will remain. Those places are no longer representative of the city, and thus said examples are worthless to the conversation that is taking place in 2016.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If folks are going to discuss whether racism is still bubbling in Boston, or anywhere else in the world, you should probably state what race you are. Stating the obvious, but if you're a white dude, and mingle with mostly folks that look like you, I mean cmon...

Actually though, as a white guy, you can get a feel about someone pretty quick, as they are willing to say things they definitely wouldn't to someone of another race. And it's not like only white people are racist (although we are referring to that in the context of Boston).

Reaction Score
Yup, I'm a younger guy, and I'm the one who actually lived there. It's not just my "circle." Boston as a city is becoming younger and younger and, go figure, the old, racist trash is dying out and/or on the fringes of Dorchester or buried in some side street in Southie or some corner deep in C-town with the Townies. If you mean those places by "outside my circle," then hell yeah they are, and that's where they will remain. Those places are no longer representative of the city, and thus said examples are worthless to the conversation that is taking place in 2016.

I think we both agree that the country is headed in a positive direction, especially in regards to race. But. Maybe consider that your experience isn't the same as everyone's experience. Not only white vs. black. But white collar vs. blue collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom