OT:Drunk kid wants his Mac and cheese at the Union | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT:Drunk kid wants his Mac and cheese at the Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This guy came from UMass? So basically he's payback for Doug Wiggins?

After doing the simple math, it seems this young and dumb offender still has six minutes or so to set his path aright.

Let’s give him and his family the space to do so.

Reaction Score
Never ever again should they accept umess' sloppy seconds. This is what you get.

After doing the simple math, it seems this young and dumb offender still has six minutes or so to set his path aright.

Reaction Score
Doing exactly what?

So if I print out a big-head poster of The Colonel, does that mean UConn is represented by KFC?

And let's not ignore the fact that that (i.e. what the poster in question said) is not at all going to actually happen. And if it did, it would be representative of what one idiot student thinks is funny.
Yeah it clearly means you're deep down a Louisville fan and wish you were at the Yum! Center...

Some people are really delusional, this kid is a funny pathetic story, a blip on the radar of dumb viral news stories, seeing his dopey punchable face in the background at a game would entertain me, and there's a slight chance that when an opposing player is shooting a free throw, seeing that douchey face would get him off kilter enough to clank one.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Weird, I had like a deja vu moment reading this.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
pKrOIoB.jpg

Reaction Score

just so we're clear here, he has 15 mins of fame, minus the 9 min video which means he has 6 mins to get back on track. do i have that right? can you maybe explan it to us ONE MORE time?

Reaction Score
Obnoxious as he showed himself. I also feel bad for him in having to be immortalized by social media. His children will likely find this video one day. While I never spit in someone's face or was rude to a worker like this, there are a lot of things that could have haunted me if caught on video.
And we don't throw people away. Especially when they are 19

Agree with this. The kid needs to pay the consequences for what he did (expelled from school and likely community service / rehab). But it doesn't mean the kids life is over or he can't make amends for this. I never did anything quite like this, but I was definitely a little punk / when I was 18/19, as I'm sure many others were.

Hopefully he learns and grows from it. The real problem becomes if he doesn't change and is still acting like this when he is 25 or 30.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agree with this. The kid needs to pay the consequences for what he did (expelled from school and likely community service / rehab). But it doesn't mean the kids life is over or he can't make amends for this. I never did anything quite like this, but I was definitely a little punk / when I was 18/19, as I'm sure many others were.

Hopefully he learns and grows from it. The real problem becomes if he doesn't change and is still acting like this when he is 25 or 30.
I have no problem with punishments. I prefer punishments not be administered in a "punkish" manner.

When I was young I was not a punk/. I missed that phase. Will it be ok if I in my later years try it? I can claim that I have selective dementia and that the prefrontal cortex is failing.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with punishments. I prefer punishments not be administered in a "punkish" manner.

When I was young I was not a punk/. I missed that phase. Will it be ok if I in my later years try it? I can claim that I have selective dementia and that the prefrontal cortex is failing.

Absolutely.

I'm already planning on being a crotchety old man. Unfortunately I still have some time to go when I have to pretend to be a responsible adult.

CL82

Reaction Score

I read your post a few times trying to get your point, so one of us may be having a issue here. How was the kid's expulsion punkish?

For what it's worth, although I know it will label me "an old guy," people weren't as punk-douchy (if it ain't a word, it outta be) when "we" were growing up. Yeah there were always jerks, but this kind of self-indulgent tantrum-like behavior would have resulted in, uh, negative reinforcement, right quick. By the time you got to college, you already had a working understanding of societal norms for behavior and the consequences for breaching them. That's the element that is missing today. There's too much "me" and not enough "we." This kid is behaving like a 2 year old, because he never learned that this behavior isn't socially acceptable when he was 2 or 3 or 4, etc. He's not alone in that mind set and we are the poorer for it as a community.

angry-old-man-4.jpg

/end old guy rant.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I read your post a few times trying to get your point, so one of us may be having a issue here. How was the kid's expulsion punkish?

For what it's worth, although I know it will label me "an old guy," people weren't as punk-douchy (if it ain't a word, it outta be) when "we" were growing up. Yeah there were always jerks, but this kind of self-indulgent tantrum-like behavior would have resulted in, uh, negative reinforcement, right quick. By the time you got to college, you already had a working understanding of societal norms for behavior and the consequences for breaching them. That's the element that is missing today. There's too much "me" and not enough "we." This kid is behaving like a 2 year old, because he never learned that this behavior isn't socially acceptable when he was 2 or 3 or 4, etc. He's not alone in that mind set and we are the poorer for it as a community.

angry-old-man-4.jpg

/end old guy rant.
His expulsion was not punkish. The social media attack and some of the responses in this thread are imo. I was referring to gringo's commentary about social media. You had to read his thread I guess to know this.

I think there was a lot of misbehavior going on throughout history. I would say the specifics have changed such as weapons being more accessible and more deadly, more availability and variation of things that alter cognitive reasoning, and easier dispersal of information. It was an ask don't tell society when I was growing up. Now it's the opposite extreme.

If I want to ask someone how to undertake a complex development of stores or apartments I'm going to seek out the advice of someone like @Pudge because that's his expertise. But I certainly wouldn't rely on him to understand alcohol induced behaviors if he characterizes all episodes as garden variety. If I want to know what's going on in the NBA I'll ask someone like @aceboon. He and a few others are a fountain of knowledge on that topic.

I would not ask any poster who doesn't know all the working parts of an automobile or has never gone under the hood, to fix my car. Any task requires a good working knowledge of the component parts associated with that task. Most reasonable people would agree with this premise. (premises, premises)

I have a construct for behavior. I have enough background to know in the most simplistic of terms how a complex behavior develops in the brain and results in a set of actions.
And yet, most people discussing behavior struggle with even the most rudimentary understanding of the brain their underlying components and their inter relationships. With that said someone like @Rocktheworld who I know has more specific details of the brain has come to a different conclusion regarding behavior. But at least he has a construct of the brain and we can discuss things in more detail.

Most people do not emphasize the reinforced patterns (nurture, programming) that takes place in our brains that when factored in with the hardware ( nature, such as visual cortex, auditory cortex, amygdyla, cerebellum and so on) ends up creating the behaviors that tend to be in sync or not in sync with one another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure, our brains are really complicated.

I believe in hard determinism (free will doesn't exist), but I don't mind saying he's a .

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I believe in hard determinism (free will doesn't exist), but I don't mind saying he's a .
Nicely put. I don't mind it either unless I stay there.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, although I know it will label me "an old guy," people weren't as punk-douchy (if it ain't a word, it outta be) when "we" were growing up. Yeah there were always jerks, but this kind of self-indulgent tantrum-like behavior would have resulted in, uh, negative reinforcement, right quick. By the time you got to college, you already had a working understanding of societal norms for behavior and the consequences for breaching them. That's the element that is missing today. There's too much "me" and not enough "we."

You can't really think this, though, right? That, (a) this kid represents some kind of societal shift from when you were a kid and (b) that spoiled, entitled, bratty college kids didn't exist back then? I can't imagine that's the case.

Kids like this have always existed. The biggest difference between now and then is that almost everyone in that room is carrying a video camera with them.

Reaction Score
Towney,

As a graduate of Springfield College, I'm really shocked at the problems you had as RA. Don't remember things being anyone near that violent during my years (pre John Cena).

It's a different generation of kids and so sad that it has taken such a downward turn for the worse.

BTW, I work at a small college and interact with students on a regular basis. Got to say that no student has ever gone this mad in our dining hall. Maybe our Mac & Cheese ain't that great.

Yeah well that being said though - 10% of the kids are always 90% of the problems. On the whole - people at the college were pretty fantastic people. But the bad apples are *really* bad there and the school's disciplinary system is a total joke. We'd have things happen... we had one kid throw a fire door out the bathroom door in Alumni Hall and hit a generator there. Like serious, fire-creating type stuff - including the vandalism.. and they gave him 5 hours of community service which was basically him organizing his advisor's office for five hours.

The brains story in there is a long, almost incomprehensible one..

The kid who HIT the other kid was one of those guys who was just a real shady character to begin with. Every time we'd be doing a write-up or anytime there was trouble he was always lurking. Cloudiness over an eye - he literally looked like something out of a comic book. So he lived in one of the tower rooms with this kid and at some point during the fall he broke his arm and had some sort of metal rod put in his cast. Him and his roomate got into it one night - after a long night of drinking, obviously; and he backed him up against the edge of the doorway and took a swing at him and basically hit him so hard that he split the back of the kid's skull wide open. Like really wide open.

Of course we were on our way there as kids came and got us (thankfully) and we put a call into campus P.D. and they were there incredibly fast (those dudes deserve medals. campus P.D. does nothing but take and get no credit for the stuff they have to put up with) and diffused the situation but this guy's roomate was out like a lightbulb and literally you could see brain sack. Luckily we got EMT's there - but the kid's never been the same since.

So the school doesn't press charges in spite of the ENORMOUS law suit being filed and instead suspends the asaultee (shady kid) for two weeks. TWO WEEKS. He comes back and not a week later within the span of one evening gets caught setting off a fire extinguisher AND was literally caught INSIDE the school bookstore stealing stuff after breaking in. I'm not even joking. So they suspend him for a semester. The next year he was a constant problem and even took a swing at a female R.D. (luckily he was so drunk he couldn't stand up).

The cherry on top comes the following summer when Res Life couldn't get him placed because there wasn't a sane person on campus who wanted to live with the kid. So they placed him randomly in a Senior Suite with - you guessed it - the kid who he blugeoned a year and a half earlier. I'm not even joking. It was so appalling that I took a photo of the housing assignment. Of course they changed it once the Res Life staff had a melt down about it - but just the general tone-deafness from student discipline is incredible.

Like I said - most kids were great and the system worked on normal kids. But it was the bad apples that just kept getting chances and really brought stuff down around them. Like I said - I'm glad I was an RD, but don't miss a second of it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No way kids are worse today. In my dorm, a kid went beserk because the music was too loud and couldn't study. On a Thursday night. So he smashed a beer mug against the wall and threatened to slice another dudes throat with the jagged remains. Did they toss him? No, they just moved him from the 2nd floor to the 4th floor. In with me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

/end old guy rant.

Pipe down old man.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
no doubt. Think of the classic 70's movie "The bad news bears" which was a KIDS MOVIE!! think of the character Tanner, who we all found hilarious. He used racial epithets for like 20 different races (the WORST one for each including the N word) , homophobic statements, Fat shaming, misogyny....etc.... Weve come a LONG way in that regard.

I agree with you, but there's also a significant portion of our population that wants to go back to the way it was. They would rather be just as offensive as people were in the 1970s than be "politically correct".

CL82

Reaction Score
You can't really think this, though, right? That, (a) this kid represents some kind of societal shift from when you were a kid and (b) that spoiled, entitled, bratty college kids didn't exist back then? I can't imagine that's the case.

Kids like this have always existed. The biggest difference between now and then is that almost everyone in that room is carrying a video camera with them.
I do think it E but I think my post overstates it a bit.

First, this kid represents one drunk idiot nothing more. As I noted, there have always been jerks. But I do feel like there's a societal shift in what's considered acceptable behavior. So the outliers are more extreme because the norm has been expanded. I agree though that the presence of cameras now is a major shift since it both captures more stuff and likely exacerbates outrageous behavior.

I'm not sure I can articulate it better than that.

Reaction Score
But I do feel like there's a societal shift in what's considered acceptable behavior.
Hard for me to believe that anybody over the age of 45 doesn't wholeheartedly agree with this. From swearing, lack of "please, thank you, you're welcome," to overtly ogling women, to elimination of underage pregnancy stigma, young able people not working stigma, and on and on. Culture/society has changed a tremendous amount in the last few decades. Some good, some bad.

More interesting to me is where it's going to be in 20 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I actually have some expertise here!
Both sides are right.
Today's kids, especially boys, are light years ahead on expressing feelings being more sensitive, not being offensive to people with any kind of difference. They do more community service than any previous generation. They are about 1,000 X as mature as I was at their age.

But parenting practices have changed and too many parents are either too busy or too afraid of offending their child to discipline them properly (not harsh discipline just effective). These kids get bailed out, defended to teachers, police, etc. Meanwhile the kid learns nothing and while the trouble they get into escalates and escalates. Until finally, Mom & Dad can't fix it with their checkbooks.

his kids parents look like they fit that mold. Their reaction to horrible behavior at UMass, pay for another college. This is a guess, but an educated one.

Reaction Score
I actually have some expertise here!
Both sides are right.
Today's kids, especially boys, are light years ahead on expressing feelings being more sensitive, not being offensive to people with any kind of difference. They do more community service than any previous generation. They are about 1,000 X as mature as I was at their age.

But parenting practices have changed and too many parents are either too busy or too afraid of offending their child to discipline them properly (not harsh discipline just effective). These kids get bailed out, defended to teachers, police, etc. Meanwhile the kid learns nothing and while the trouble they get into escalates and escalates. Until finally, Mom & Dad can't fix it with their checkbooks.

his kids parents look like they fit that mold. Their reaction to horrible behavior at UMass, pay for another college. This is a guess, but an educated one.

Pretty much like i said earlier, i'd like to see how we acted when his mom was taking too long to bring him his easy mac! I bet he screamed and broke things and cursed her out.

Reaction Score

That's the big issue, isn't it

Because in your view that free will is an illusion, which I share, we can't really condemn a serial killer. It requires compassion rather than our greatest contempt. To be feared and kept away from the rest of society to be sure, but undeserving of hatred. After all, most serial killers wish they weren't killers, they didn't choose their genes, or upbringing, or environment, let alone the perfect storm of said factors that led them to become compulsive killers.

btw thanks and well done @fleudslipcon recognizing I have some grasp on human brains and behavior. But as you further note, behavior like this in my opinion stems more (although surely not completely) from upbringing and environment. I don't think this kid has some kind of personality pathology (but who knows what his parents' history with alcohol is) that would more closely be linked to genetics. We have no idea what this kid is like sober, however.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard for me to believe that anybody over the age of 45 doesn't wholeheartedly agree with this. From swearing, lack of "please, thank you, you're welcome," to overtly ogling women, to elimination of underage pregnancy stigma, young able people not working stigma, and on and on. Culture/society has changed a tremendous amount in the last few decades. Some good, some bad.

Certainly doesn't make those people over 45 correct. It's just the anecdotal grumblings of the get off my porch crowd. I'm sure I'll do the same thing in 20 years and I'll be just as wrong.

But . . . . . "elimination of underage pregnancy stigma . . . " Having kids at 14 is the cooolest among teens these days. What kind of town do you live in?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This is getting deep.

I'll add that raising children a generation or two ago,, especially in the working class, used to involve fear. We loved and "respected" our parents. But that "respect" had a lot to do with fear.
Now, most of us have children that fear us a lot less then we feared our parents. When done well, there are relationships between parents and kids that include more trust, communication, and real respect.
But when you remove the fear without instilling boundaries you get miserable kids that the parents can't control. No kid really wants no boundaries, no matter how much they say they do.

Are we going to hell in a hand basket? NO Are there some problems from these changes? Yes. But there are more improvements too. Generational poverty and teen pregnancy are a whole separate conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom