OT: doesn’t this “destroy the purity of the game”? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: doesn’t this “destroy the purity of the game”?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
WCSB players carrying an injured opposing player around the bases to score her homerun

That was my alma mater Central Washington and one of the players involved is from the town I grew up in, White Salmon, WA. I'm quite a bit older so I didn't know Mallory Holtman. But it's a really small town, I went to school with a few kids w/ the same last name, must've been older siblings or cousins.

Reaction Score
Who says the NCAA doesn't have heart. They allowed a school to move their season opener up two weeks to accommodate a player's illness and the venue was moved to accommodate the expected audience size. All so this player could make her dream of playing in a WCBB game. She finished second to Mo'ne Davis for AP Female Athlete of the Year in 2014 and was awarded the Pat Summit Courage Award 2015 at half time of her first game, five days before her passing. She has won other awards as well. Here is her wikipedia link for those who would like to read more: Lauren Hill (basketball) - Wikipedia . The following is a video of her first basket in her first game:

Reaction Score
Who says the NCAA doesn't have heart. They allowed a school to move their season opener up two weeks to accommodate a player's illness and the venue was moved to accommodate the expected audience size. All so this player could make her dream of playing in a WCBB game. She finished second to Mo'ne Davis for AP Female Athlete of the Year in 2014 and was awarded the Pat Summit Courage Award 2015 at half time of her first game, five days before her passing. She has won other awards as well. Here is her wikipedia link for those who would like to read more: Lauren Hill (basketball) - Wikipedia . The following is a video of her first basket in her first game:

I’m from Cincinnati and this was huge news. The whole city was pulling for her. This is a perfect example of sports providing a teachable moment that transcends sports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, not at all. When Geno makes those decisions the competitive part of the game is pretty much over. The players on the floor have a different task to accomplish to the best of their ability -to run out the clock without embarrassing the other team. So it is exactly the opposite- hoisting up a bunch of shots in a blow out would be violating the purity of the game.
Not according to what YOU wrote.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course it did.
One of the outcomes of the game had he made the shot was that game would have been recorded as the game in which the IOWA record for consecutive free throws was broken.
What records would UCONN or it's players have held if Geno wasn't being "impure"?

BTW, what was the over and under or point spread on that game?
What are the spreads on UCONN games?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great points and another tribute example to consider and hopefully extend the good discussion.
In 1990 Bo Kimble in tribute his fallen teammate Hank Gathers shot two free throws left handed in the middle of a competitive NCAA tournament game. Any integrity issues here?
According to you, yes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What records would UCONN or it's players have held if Geno wasn't being "impure"?
Don't recall me saying that Geno was EVER being impure because I don't think Geno would allow any of his player to deliberately miss a shot.
What are the spreads on UCONN games?
I have no idea, but I'd take UCONN and the over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom