OT: Does this kid have a shot at D1 Ball? | The Boneyard

OT: Does this kid have a shot at D1 Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Darnell Rogers (Aquille Carr's cousin apparently?). 5'2"- 5'3" and impossible to stay in front of. Seems more than able to get his jumpshot off and finish in traffic against very good AAU competition. No D1 offers heading into senior year. I could see him ending up on some ECU/Tulane type team and being a pain in the ass for 4 years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's Shawnta Rogers' son.

If you know anything about Rogers' college career, you have your answer.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Verbal Commits says he has offers from George Washington, Maryland-Eastern Shore, and Towson. I doubt the legitimacy of the George Washington offer, but he does have a chance with Townson and U-MES.

Reaction Score
Verbal Commits says he has offers from George Washington, Maryland-Eastern Shore, and Towson. I doubt the legitimacy of the George Washington offer, but he does have a chance with Townson and U-MES.
My bad I was looking at a different site that shall not be named. Seems he plays AAU ball with Gilbert.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
There's just no way he can play defense. He'll play D-1 cuz he can BALL but anyone will shoot right over him at any time.

Reaction Score
While he isn't going to block shots, he is a ball handler's worst nightmare and he can probably stay in front of just about anyone. I'd love to sign this kid and see how he does. He's a crowd pleaser and a very skilled point.

Reaction Score

See above. His father had a fantastic career at GW, and he was maybe an inch taller. Averaged 20 a game as a senior if memory serves.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's just no way he can play defense. He'll play D-1 cuz he can BALL but anyone will shoot right over him at any time.

His dad lead the country in steals. I'm willing to bet he passed some of that on.

5'10 Ryan Boatright guarded the living sh_t out of 6'5 Harrison twins. If you got it, you got it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Next year what will we do for a PG backup if either Jalen or Alterique get hurt? I would like to have another PG or CG. Could be a Craig Austrie type or maybe a John Gwynne-type or maybe someone like this kid. John Linehan from Providence was small and a real pain in the ass to the UConn guards. I hope we get someone else who can play the point if needed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
His 5'4" dad had 4 blocks during his 3 years at GW. 83% FT shooter. 103 steals his final year.

If his son can do that, somebody's gotta want him.

Reaction Score
Is that 5'2" with or without shoes? He looks as if he's in the high 4 foot range. If so, legally, he's handicapped (dwarfism) and might just be the best handicapped basketball player on earth!
His hair adds a couple of inches also.

Reaction Score
Next year what will we do for a PG backup if either Jalen or Alterique get hurt? I would like to have another PG or CG. Could be a Craig Austrie type or maybe a John Gwynne-type or maybe someone like this kid. John Linehan from Providence was small and a real pain in the ass to the UConn guards. I hope we get someone else who can play the point if needed.
We'll still have Sam Cassell, Jr. - he'll be a senior.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
We'll still have Sam Cassell, Jr. - he'll be a senior.

That is true. I know he played a little point last year, but just did not see him having the quickness to be effective in that role. Hopefully he will be fully healthy and in great shape this year so he will be able to play there when needed.

Reaction Score
Article on him from CBSSports.com. Says he might not even be over 5 feet tall.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ect-5-foot-2-darnell-rogers-wows-at-peach-jam

I, as the resident measurement master as so named by fleudy, will get to the bottom of this. Or the top of this, wherever the truth leads me.:eek: But as my keen eye would tell me just from video's 5'2" is pushing it.

He did have a 4 point play in today's game if I saw that correctly with his lefty 3 and one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
After watching some tape, his game is reminiscent of Kemba's.

Reaction Score
Yeah they should still have Sam. If uconn is looking for more depth in the upcoming years the fifth year senior seems to be the way to go, little risk. Uconn has had way too many guards leave the program for whatever reason and that must have done a number to the APR

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Is that 5'2" with or without shoes? He looks as if he's in the high 4 foot range. If so, legally, he's handicapped (dwarfism) and might just be the best handicapped basketball player on earth!
Lol

Reaction Score
While he isn't going to block shots, he is a ball handler's worst nightmare and he can probably stay in front of just about anyone. I'd love to sign this kid and see how he does. He's a crowd pleaser and a very skilled point.
Are you out of your damn mind Lol. We would never sign this dude

Reaction Score
BleedHuskyBlu said:
Are you out of your damn mind Lol. We would never sign this dude

Kids a baller and plays very well against great competition. He's a D1 player. I'd rather have him than a dozen other guards we've had in the last 10 years that couldn't make a difference at this level. I won't bother to name names.

Reaction Score
Kids a baller and plays very well against great competition. He's a D1 player. I'd rather have him than a dozen other guards we've had in the last 10 years that couldn't make a difference at this level. I won't bother to name names.

He's definitely D1 material. Mid-to-low major, though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No - a thousand times, no. Not completely buying that offer list either.

He's a foot shorter and 30 pounds lighter than Ryan Boatright.

What do you do with him on defense? His reach and range are virtually non-existent - he's not going to bother even the most marginally competent opposing point guard. "But steals!" No, not happening at this level.

He appears to be quite a good three point shooter, but past that, his offense is limited to wild heaves in the general direction of the basket. And good luck starting your offense with a point guard who can't see over Ryan Boatright's belly button.

He's just way, way too small and way too limited to even consider offering him a scholarship - I'm guessing he will be fortunate to receive many firm low-major offers.

Reaction Score
I watched him in the Peach Jam semi-final. He is quick with a good handle. He wasn't afraid of attacking the paint off the dribble. From what I saw size isn't the biggest concern. His lack of motor and effort. I saw too many defensive possessions where he wasn't moving with the urgency he should have been. Also, there were multiple possessions where he didn't bother to get back defensively. I am guessing coaches took notice of that, especially if that wasn't a isolated thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom