OT- Disney World trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by GemParty, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur

Can't believe I didn't mention this . . . This should have been the first piece of advice.

2. Excalibur

Excalibur

When was the last time you went? I can't recall seeing a single Turkey leg outside of maybe EPCOT. Nothing like walking around one of our local fall festivals.

3. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

I went in 2011-ish and I saw them. Also saw them at SeaWorld and on the Disney cruises.

It's a real thing.

4. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

they are at MK, DHS, and Epcot. Universal also sells them at the Harry Potter restaurant (forget name of it).

5. kris1

kris1

The rental strollers will also carry all the crap you end up buying and would normally have to lug around all day, in addition to a tired 5-year old. With the fold-up strollers, they're cheap enough that you don't need to bring them back home with you. We brought them on our first trip to WDW, then left them at the hotel when we checked out.

John likes this.
  6. kris1

kris1

huskymedic likes this.
  7. David 76

David 76 Forty years a fan

Been more times than I can remember. Don't miss Flight in Epcot or the Festival of the Lion King show in Animal Kingdom
    Make an attitude adjustment. Your kid will want to see characters and parades and probably swim in the hotel pool. If you become hell bent on "conquering" the park, it could lead to tension. There is a lot of ambience to take in, including an occasional surprise. I suggest that you relax and enjoy it

John likes this.
  8. RichZ

RichZ Methuselah's older brother

You don't spend much time at Walmart, do you?

[​IMG]

Mr. Conehead and uconnell like this.
  9. Excalibur

Excalibur

Walmart has a higher percentage, but Disney wins on volume . . .

10. Excalibur

Excalibur

And whatever you do, do NOT take a 5 year-old on the Lilo and Stitch experience. You think "Oh, Lilo and Stitch, my kid loves that", and you don't realize that it's some re-branded alien encounter thing meant to terrify little people.

David 76 and John like this.
  11. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

An awful ride. Also do not ride the intense version of Mission: Space (in Epcot) if you're at all susceptible to motion sickness, you'll be a wreck for the rest of the day.

8893, tjhusky and Dogbreath2U like this.
  12. KingOPancakes

KingOPancakes

Finding Nemo ride in Epcot is awesome, but might be too intense for a 5 year old.

You can find videos of all of the rides on YouTube to get an idea whether or not they're appropriate for your kid.

John likes this.
  13. GemParty

GemParty Premier Properties National Referral-All 50 states

One question that's been raised in my family is age. Is 5 too young, and maybe too short to enjoy most of the park. Disney, Animal Kingdom, Epcot? Some are saying 7-9 is the sweet spot. My wife argues, it won't be as magical. Happy wife, happy life. But I'd hate for my boy to be in tears if he sees a Toy Story ride & he can't. Thoughts on age?

14. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

It depends a lot on the child. My younger one, who is 6 talks a big game about going on 'big' ride; but freaks out easily. Mostly recently, he had a melt down because they shows a movie in the 60 second elevator ride up to the Observatory at One WTC in NYC. He is definitely not ready for Disney World.

15. huskymedic

huskymedic

My boys were two years apart... we had no issues @ 5 or 7 (heck they were going since our oldest was 3).

Filter by height: Disney World Attractions & Rides | Walt Disney World Resort

16. Excalibur

Excalibur

My daughter was 3 months shy of 6 and loved it (other than that stupid Lilo and Stitch ride).

17. Balker

Balker

My son isn't even 2. And December will be his second trip :confused:

He was thrilled by it at 9 months... went on tons of rides and loved them, was ecstatic about every character he met. Let's face it, we're taking him more for our benefit than his. We get such a kick out of sharing those experiences with him. And I'm a sucker.

18. David 76

David 76 Forty years a fan

There is plenty there for a five year old and plenty there that can upset a five year old. Pay attention to their recommendations or get a guide book from the library.
    Sometimes just the noise level of an otherwise innocent attraction can be too much.
    At least that is how I traumatized my three year old in A Bug's Life. Of course my wife thought it was a bad idea. So I had that going for me.

GemParty and Dogbreath2U like this.
  19. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

If you were only able to go once, I think the 7-9 age range is probably the best as it opens up a lot more options to take advantage of. With a five year old, I would suggest as others have to be careful about overdoing it and wearing him out. To be honest, the experience is more fun for the adults when the kids are a little older, IMHO. But your wife is probably right about the magic part and you should be able to guide the process to avoid the rides he should not go on.

Plus, you can go again when he's older.

20. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Get this book ASAP; hands down the best of its kind imo. You don't need to hire a planner to coordinate your trip, and you don't need to follow this guy's touring plans to the letter (they're insane, even for me), but it is chock full of all the advice you will need, including the appropriateness of your plans for your child:

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2017 - The Unofficial Guides

John likes this.
  21. RedDog

RedDog

We go every couple of years too; we love it.
    It is extremely expensive. I went with my family (family of 4) and stayed in a Disney hotel for a week. We went to all of the parks, ate in its restaurants, and bought over-priced souvenirs for our small kids.

When I looked at the finances later: it was roughly the same cost as a new Buick.

John and uconnfan68 like this.
  22. GemParty

I sent you a message about our trip ideas!

23. GemParty

Correct me if I'm wrong, can you make fast pass reservations, further out than 60 days from your trip to a park? I set up an account on My Disney Experience app.

24. August_West

August_West Ask me about Cuba's Healthcare outcomes

Yes

25. GemParty

How?