OT - Dietary Supplements | The Boneyard

OT - Dietary Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Earlier this year I started to finally feel real affects of age. Some relatively minor back issue. Also, I realized I wasn't really able to adequately play basketball. Too heavy. Couldn't get to any lose balls or rebounds. I would jump and remember being able to get to a ball, but couldn't do it. I decided I needed to make some life changes. Lose weight of course, but make real changes to my eating habits. Since then I've done very well with the diet. But what I really wanted to talk about is some of the supplements I started taking.

Here's the list:
- Probiotics
- Kelp Supplement
- Beet Root Supplement
- Fish Oil
- Daily Vitamin for Men (chew able)
- Zinc
- Vitamin D

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I take the Zinc and Vitamin D because it supposedly helps testosterone levels. I'm not a Dr. and I didn't speak to a Dr. about it...so hopefully that's sorta accurate.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's the weight loss or the supplements, but I haven't felt this good physically in a while. I haven't started playing basketball on a regular basis, but I will do that soon. I play a weekly game of hockey and I'm definitely moving and feeling better.

Anyone else take any supplements...what do you take?

Reaction Score
Cocaine. Massive amounts of caffeine.

Sometimes I have peasants freeze-dried and turned into a protein powder that I use in smoothies.
Peasants are covered in filth. Do you have a cleaning process?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Peasants are covered in filth. Do you have a cleaning process?

COIN_IA_small-medium.png

Reaction Score
My experience in life (just me, everybody is different, and some are very different):

Being heavier makes everything more difficult. 35 pounds is the difference between lean and feeling great and not feeling well. I've never been more than 35 pounds or so over my target weight, but I imagine that the "feeling crappy" and "overweight" scales are tightly correlated.

Smoking makes you feel like crap.

Drinking heavily, chronically, makes you feel like crap.

Caffeine makes you feel like crap and can affect sleep.

Eating crappy food makes you feel like crap.

Stress at work makes you feel like crap.

One of the worst cycles is the Cube Farm Zombie cycle, which is wake up, dose caffeine, eat unhealthy snacks during day, get prepared lunch, more unhealthy snacks and caffeine, dislike your job and be stressed, overeat at home and be sedentary, use alcohol to unwind daily.

I've done it all, BTW, and have lived unhealthily. Not preaching by any means. After about half a century on the planet have just figured out that what works for me is - desire less stuff, work fewer hours or at a more likable job, don't smoke more than 10 cigarettes a year, keep my weight less than 10 pounds over ideal, eat a broad range of food, including lots of fruits and veggies, avoid fast food and prepared meals, drink heavy only once in a while, don't use caffeine (tough one), stay very active, and maybe most importantly, avoid all drugs (including all supplements) unless there is a specific deficiency/reason to use them. It took 3.5 billion years of evolution to produce the current version of humans, which relied only on naturally available food. Unless there's an issue, you should be able to get everything you need by simply eating broad diet of foods. Peace.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This tastes like but does the trick (mix 1 scoop with lemonade and water). I've had a couple of doctors recommend it to me. Costs a bit much, but has the best profile I've come across. Sometimes there's good discounts on Amazon. On top of that, I eat pretty healthy.

Green Vibrance: Super Food Supplement

Sorry for auto play video, but the supplement label is at the bottom of that page.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Earlier this year I started to finally feel real affects of age. Some relatively minor back issue. Also, I realized I wasn't really able to adequately play basketball. Too heavy. Couldn't get to any lose balls or rebounds. I would jump and remember being able to get to a ball, but couldn't do it. I decided I needed to make some life changes. Lose weight of course, but make real changes to my eating habits. Since then I've done very well with the diet. But what I really wanted to talk about is some of the supplements I started taking.

Here's the list:
- Probiotics
- Kelp Supplement
- Beet Root Supplement
- Fish Oil
- Daily Vitamin for Men (chew able)
- Zinc
- Vitamin D

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I take the Zinc and Vitamin D because it supposedly helps testosterone levels. I'm not a Dr. and I didn't speak to a Dr. about it...so hopefully that's sorta accurate.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's the weight loss or the supplements, but I haven't felt this good physically in a while. I haven't started playing basketball on a regular basis, but I will do that soon. I play a weekly game of hockey and I'm definitely moving and feeling better.

I have found some pretty beneficial lifestyle tips/hacks through the Joe Rogan podcast. This dude is a machine and has so many irons in the fire. He is all about helping people understand our existence and making the best of it. To the point, he goes full Keto (I do as well in two week spurts). Basically, it's the elimination of all sugars/carbs from the diet and trying to get under 20g, spread throughout the day. Not to sound dramatic, but it's one of the most difficult things a modern human can sustain. So good luck. I have MORE energy and feel locked in when in Keto state. There are misconceptions that the diet saps your energy, anecdotal evidence tells me otherwise. An added bonus: my eyesight gets WAY better as well. You will feel when you are in Keto state, but I use pee strips to verify how many mMol I'm registering at. If you are feeling super ambitious, you can stack this with Fishy's diet seamlessly.

One of many podcast episodes on the subject:

I also take a green supplement AmaZing Grass:

-Dr. Tobias Fish Oil Capsules
-Vitamin D
-I also take a Zipfizz in the morning, it's an energy drink that mixes with water...but the combination of 42,000% B12, Green Tea, and Vitamin C work great for me. Obviously, energy drinks are hit and miss but this is relatively clean energy in the grand scheme of things. It is also about 10 gatorades worth of electrolytes. This can be found at Costco for $27.99 or Amazon:

Amazon.com : Zipfizz Healthy Energy Drink Mix, Variety Pack, 30-count : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I am also considering taking the Onnit Labs AlphaBrain. I'll probably give it a test run shortly, I've been meaning to order it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My experience in life (just me, everybody is different, and some are very different):

Being heavier makes everything more difficult. 35 pounds is the difference between lean and feeling great and not feeling well. I've never been more than 35 pounds or so over my target weight, but I imagine that the "feeling crappy" and "overweight" scales are tightly correlated.

One of the worst cycles is the Cube Farm Zombie cycle, which is wake up, dose caffeine, eat unhealthy snacks during day, get prepared lunch, more unhealthy snacks and caffeine, dislike your job and be stressed, overeat at home and be sedentary, use alcohol to unwind daily.

I've done it all, BTW, and have lived unhealthily. Not preaching by any means. After about half a century on the planet have just figured out that what works for me is - desire less stuff, work fewer hours or at a more likable job, don't smoke more than 10 cigarettes a year, keep my weight less than 10 pounds over ideal, eat a broad range of food, including lots of fruits and veggies, avoid fast food and prepared meals, drink heavy only once in a while, don't use caffeine (tough one), stay very active, and maybe most importantly, avoid all drugs (including all supplements) unless there is a specific deficiency/reason to use them. It took 3.5 billion years of evolution to produce the current version of humans, which relied only on naturally available food. Unless there's an issue, you should be able to get everything you need by simply eating broad diet of foods. Peace.
Examining the Boneyard has convinced me evolution has failed.

Reaction Score

This. ^^^^^^

I've learned alot about food/diet/nutrition in the last 4-5 years and the above is true. What you put into your body and what you do to your body dictates how you feel. It's that simple. Will the supplements do anything without the other positive changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle? No. You're likely getting a euphoric feeling from a lot of good choices starting to take root.

I read a sentence in an article last year that made a difference for me. It said something like "You can continue to make excuses or you can take back control of your health". I found that I had every excuse in the book and using them all the time tossed me in a rut. Good luck with your changes. If you're interested, I'd recommend the following book too. Taught me a lot about a plant based diet and what other fats/meat does to your body scientifically:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Amazing-Nutrient-Rich-Sustained/dp/031612091X

Reaction Score
I have found some pretty beneficial lifestyle tips/hacks through the Joe Rogan podcast. This dude is a machine and has so many irons in the fire. He is all about helping people understand our existence and making the best of it. To the point, he goes full Keto (I do as well in two week spurts). Basically, it's the elimination of all sugars/carbs from the diet and trying to get under 20g, spread throughout the day. Not to sound dramatic, but it's one of the most difficult things a modern human can sustain. So good luck. I have MORE energy and feel locked in when in Keto state. There are misconceptions that the diet saps your energy, anecdotal evidence tells me otherwise. An added bonus: my eyesight gets WAY better as well. You will feel when you are in Keto state, but I use pee strips to verify how many mMol I'm registering at. If you are feeling super ambitious, you can stack this with Fishy's diet seamlessly.

One of many podcast episodes on the subject:

I also take a green supplement AmaZing Grass:

-Dr. Tobias Fish Oil Capsules
-Vitamin D
-I also take a Zipfizz in the morning, it's an energy drink that mixes with water...but the combination of 42,000% B12, Green Tea, and Vitamin C work great for me. Obviously, energy drinks are hit and miss but this is relatively clean energy in the grand scheme of things. It is also about 10 gatorades worth of electrolytes. This can be found at Costco for $27.99 or Amazon:

Amazon.com : Zipfizz Healthy Energy Drink Mix, Variety Pack, 30-count : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I am also considering taking the Onnit Labs AlphaBrain. I'll probably give it a test run shortly, I've been meaning to order it.

Joe Rogan also lives off of HGH and HRT.

Reaction Score
Sunshine, VitC, and Motrin. Also VitB12 to keep the nerve endings active. Oh - also VitD, and fishy oil.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've yo-yo'd pretty well for the past 20 years or so, going from health scares to religious adoption of new exercise/dietary regimens and back again every few years, losing the religious fervor once the results are achieved and bad habits creep back in.

Had a physical yesterday and my doc called me out on trying to game the tests and pointed out the harm that my yo-yo-ing would ultimately do. He asked me what I wanted to do and I asked him for a referral to a nutritionist because I said I want to have a road map for eating for my next 50 years (I turn 50 next week). I've made a lot of things work for me in terms of diet and exercise, but it's been getting harder and harder to rebound from each time I give it all back, and some of my old methods simply don't work as well any more.

I think what @Deepster and @TasteofUConn are saying is what I'm hoping to achieve, but this time based on the advice of professional that is tailored to me, rather than basing it on my read of various sources.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This. ^^^^^^

I've learned alot about food/diet/nutrition in the last 4-5 years and the above is true. What you put into your body and what you do to your body dictates how you feel. It's that simple. Will the supplements do anything without the other positive changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle? No. You're likely getting a euphoric feeling from a lot of good choices starting to take root.

I read a sentence in an article last year that made a difference for me. It said something like "You can continue to make excuses or you can take back control of your health". I found that I had every excuse in the book and using them all the time tossed me in a rut. Good luck with your changes. If you're interested, I'd recommend the following book too. Taught me a lot about a plant based diet and what other fats/meat does to your body scientifically:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Amazing-Nutrient-Rich-Sustained/dp/031612091X

I am in that rut right now. Badly. And I have "good" excuses. (a totally destroyed knee that limits activity is one) But really there isnt one REAL good excuse, not at this point. A very tough catch 22 cycle. The worse you get the worse you feel and the harder it is to change anything about it while living day to day. (between my 2 jobs, which obviously must be kept I have very little free time, and crazy hours) ... Im just going to have to suck it up. Man, its hard , and as 8893 says, every year you get less returns on harder work.

But I know the above in your first paragraph to be true. Im about 50-55 over what I should be right now. And I have gone up and down. Forget target weight, I feel different just dropping 10, and better still 20 etc......

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If I gave off the implication that Rogan was the end-all be-all, I apologize. The reason why I referenced him is that I feel he offers a platform where an honest discourse can, and does, occur.

No, I was just kidding with you. I actually really like Joe Rogan. I should have framed it better. I find it interesting (and refreshing) that someone so known for fitness/lifestyle/ mma/sport stuff is such a fervent advocate of psychedelic use.
It speaks to your excellent observation:
He is all about helping people understand our existence and making the best of it

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Joe Rogan also lives off of HGH and HRT.

I'm willing to bet that most moderately wealthy humans will in 30 years or so (HGH bit). It's one of the main reasons a lot of Hollywood people stay so young looking (Halle berry and Jennifer Aniston). And for some, a generous dose of surgery mixed in.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Be really careful of that alpha brain stuff. Do your research. I was curious after hearing someone talk about Rogan's use, and did my own. For me, I'm steering well clear of it. FWIW, I believe Rogan has equity in the company.

The best things Rogan recommends is juicing (vegetables/fruit not PEDs). It's something that actually has proven benefits in terms of absorption. Really pack in real nutrients into your diet. Could be a part of what some on here are looking for (@8893 @august_west). Do your research.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am in that rut right now. Badly. And I have "good" excuses. (a totally destroyed knee that limits activity is one) But really there isnt one REAL good excuse, not at this point. A very tough catch 22 cycle. The worse you get the worse you feel and the harder it is to change anything about it while living day to day. (between my 2 jobs, which obviously must be kept I have very little free time, and crazy hours) ... Im just going to have to suck it up. Man, its hard , and as 8893 says, every year you get less returns on harder work.

Swimming.

Reaction Score
I will say Joe rogan turned me onto kettlebells back in like 2011, completely changed my workout routine. Not gonna go hang out in a field and trip balls on dmt though.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
No, I was just kidding with you. I actually really like Joe Rogan. I should have framed it better. I find it interesting (and refreshing) that someone so known for fitness/lifestyle/ mma/sport stuff is such a fervent advocate of psychedelic use.
It speaks to your excellent observation:

That is exactly why I respect him
Be really careful of that alpha brain stuff. Do your research. I was curious after hearing someone talk about Rogan's use, and did my own. For me, I'm steering well clear of it. FWIW, I believe Rogan has equity in the company.

The best things Rogan recommends is juicing (vegetables/fruit not PEDs). It's something that actually has proven benefits in terms of absorption. Really pack in real nutrients into your diet. Could be a part of what some on here are looking for (@8893 @august_west). Do your research.

That is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I have not researched Alpha Brain well enough. You sound adamantly against it, do you mind sharing why? And yes, I should have disclosed that he owns shares in Onnit. Everything that is posted in this thread should come with the "do your own research" caveat as well as the "what works for one person, may completely be different for another". In the Internet age, I would hope this is common sense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of juicing. Bought a top of the line Breville juice extractor a few years ago (when I started my last run with good habits) and it has been a key for me when I'm doing well. The problem is that it takes a lot of time to make and clean, and you have to get to the store every few days for fresh supply of fresh vegetables. There used to be a Pure juice franchise around the corner from my office and that was a great source for grabbing a couple doses during the week, but they closed a few months ago. Now I need to go a lot farther out of my way to find a place that makes them. I read recently that cold pressed veggie juices are getting a lot of attention from venture capitalists, so I'm expecting see an explosion of them in the next few years.

Reaction Score
I have MORE energy and feel locked in when in Keto state. There are misconceptions that the diet saps your energy, anecdotal evidence tells me otherwise.
I have done some hard-core low-carb dieting to lose weight. 800 calorie a day for 2 months type stuff (yeah, I overdo things sometimes). I've also done low-carb without calorie restrictions. When I'm low-carbing it, I always feel fine after about a week of adjustment, EXCEPT that my brain never fully functions. That is, I'm not as sharp. This manifests itself in a loss of performance in speaking, writing, reading, and mathematics. I'd say the drop is 10-20%, if I had to quantify it. Physically, I felt fine, and more stable, with fewer swings in tiredness, energy, emotion, and so on. For me it was easy to stay on, but, as I've noted, i work very hard to have a broad range of food in my diet. If you're the sort of person who "doesn't like green things," thinks sea food is disgusting, and puts nachos in your top 10 food list, then a low carb diet would likely be brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom