OT- Deepster’s Favorite Golf Course | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Deepster’s Favorite Golf Course

Reaction Score
At Rockledge? What sort of food.? They’ve had some good ones and some very average ones that don’t compare to the new Keney ;)

Not sure what type of food but the bid went to the owner of Beachland Tavern in Elmwood and Park Tavern.

Reaction Score
The Tavern at Keney Park is run by the folks from Dish Bar and Grill and Sorella who came out of the Hot Tomato's family tree. They kinda know what they're doing, great food.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I love Keeney. I'm a Wethersfield/Hartford guy, and used to play Goodwin the most, but since they put the money into Keeney, it's quickly become one of my faves. I LOVE the grass range, and now I won't practice anywhere without a grass range.

I hit up Stanley in New Britain recently, and they have 27 holes, and great practice facilities-but no grass range. They DO have heated range bays for winter hitting though.

I played Rockledge and Keeney back to back last summer, and Rockledge may be longer, but Keeney had the tougher greens, and I shot higher there.

I play Keeney, Goodwin, Stanley, Rockledge, Portland, Gillette Ridge, Lyman Orchards, Minnechaug, and Shinnecossett the most. Gillette is the hardest, and Keeney may be second. I suggest everyone in CT hit up Shinnecossett on the shore. Holes 16-18 are amazing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm seeing a trend with Deepster as well. Worst BY poster by far.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Here decades before you.
Here decades after you.

Congrats on playing a bunch of mediocre golf courses.

I could list the nicest courses I've ever played, but I listed the courses I play the most. I'm a regular ass dude that prefers regular ass courses.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Well, you get the most awesome regular ass Boneyard poster of the day award then.

Do you come across as such an ignorant snob in all forums, or just the ones I find you in?

Reaction Score
Keney = From the blues, 6,046 yds, 68.6 rating, 124 slope
Rockledge = From the blues, 6,436 yds, 71.1 rating, 127 slope

Based on the metrics, it's certainly not tougher. Not sure what "infinitely better" is supposed to mean though.

Course length has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the layout, routing, strategy, etc. Keney is also mildly under rated from a rating/slope perspective, you might understand if you played it. Also keep in mind you’re comparing a par 70 to 72 in your bogus reply, so obviously from an apples to apples comparison the yardage and rating/slope are likely to be higher. Id imagine if they swapped the locations of the two layouts you’d be pro-Keney

Reaction Score
I belong to the VIP membership at Golf Now, bought the Golfing Magazine and use TEE OFF. I go where the deals are given that I am retired and have flexibility. I have not paid full price in years.

Keeney is one of my favorites along with Wintonbury and Gillette Ridge. It is too bad that Goody has not caught up given that they were in the same dire circumstances with Keeney a few years ago.

If you have a tooth lose, you can save a trip to the dentist by riding the cart paths at Goody.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I belong to the VIP membership at Golf Now, bought the Golfing Magazine and use TEE OFF. I go where the deals are given that I am retired and have flexibility. I have not paid full price in years.

Keeney is one of my favorites along with Winterbury and Gillette Ridge. It is too bad that Goody has not caught up given that they were in the same dire circumstances with Keeney a few years ago.

If you have a tooth lose, you can save a trip to the dentist by riding the cart paths at Goody.

I thought Hartford spent a few million on Goodwin as well?

Reaction Score

Keeney is one of my favorites along with Winterbury and Gillette Ridge. It is too bad that Goody has not caught up given that they were in the same dire circumstances with Keeney a few years ago.

Love "Wintonbury" and have come to appreciate Gillette a bit more than I used to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Course length has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the layout, routing, strategy, etc. Keney is also mildly under rated from a rating/slope perspective, you might understand if you played it. Also keep in mind you’re comparing a par 70 to 72 in your bogus reply, so obviously from an apples to apples comparison the yardage and rating/slope are likely to be higher. Id imagine if they swapped the locations of the two layouts you’d be pro-Keney

You said it was "infinitely better". Still waiting on anything that would make that case.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Yes, Goodie has gotten better, but Greathusky is right-not as much as Keeney has improved. Gillette is one of the toughest around IMO, at least of the courses I play the most.

Reaction Score
Love "Wintonbury" and have come to appreciate Gillette a bit more than I used to.
Is Gillette back to normal? It was in sad shape a few years ago. Was really nice when it first opened. Then they started tinkering (holes 3-4), and then they let conditioning go.
Too many long forced carries for old people.

Really liked Wintonbury last time there, and they even remembered us from about 15 years earlier (pre clubhouse). Pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Is Gillette back to normal? It was in sad shape a few years ago. Was really nice when it first opened. Then they started tinkering (holes 3-4), and then they let conditioning go.
Too many long forced carries for old people.

Really liked Wintonbury last time there, and they even remembered us from about 15 years earlier (pre clubhouse). Pretty cool.

I always had a hard on for Gillette because my first experience was horrid. Went there when it opened and they neglected to tell us the course from tee to green was plugged i promised never to play there again. I held out until last year then gave it a shot. It was in nice shape and while it can play long for $39 it’s a fun play. A couple of very unlikable holes for sure but some real nice ones too. I played about 3-4 tines last year and found it in very nice shape for the money. Play the tees that make it fun it’s challenging at 6100 or 6500 anyway.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You guys need to get out more. I've never played a course in CT that will match any of a half dozen in Greenville South Carolina. A golf trip to the Upstate of Carolina will open your eyes. Try either Cliffs course (Glassy or The Valley) or River Falls Plantation or almost downtown in The Preserve at Verdae. Then there is Willow Creek or Even Cherokee Valley for some of the greatest views on a course. Then there is a little hidden country jewel and a favorite of mine Southern Oaks. If you like long and wide, you can go and bash Furman University Golf course.

Reaction Score
You guys need to get out more. I've never played a course in CT that will match any of a half dozen in Greenville South Carolina. A golf trip to the Upstate of Carolina will open your eyes. Try either Cliffs course (Glassy or The Valley) or River Falls Plantation or almost downtown in The Preserve at Verdae. Then there is Willow Creek or Even Cherokee Valley for some of the greatest views on a course. Then there is a little hidden country jewel and a favorite of mine Southern Oaks. If you like long and wide, you can go and bash Furman University Golf course.

You should go to a real South Carolina course and play the Ocean Course in Kiawah.

Reaction Score

Love Greenville...will be there this week...

Reaction Score
I’m sure there are CT courses that will hold up to western SC. Last time I played there was about 30 years ago. Company had multiple plants in that area, and got out once or twice after work. Most of those courses hadn’t even been built. Most of this thread has been about 2 old Hartford muni courses. I would certainly hope your courses are better.

Reaction Score
I always had a hard on for Gillette because my first experience was horrid. Went there when it opened and they neglected to tell us the course from tee to green was plugged i promised never to play there again. I held out until last year then gave it a shot. It was in nice shape and while it can play long for $39 it’s a fun play. A couple of very unlikable holes for sure but some real nice ones too. I played about 3-4 tines last year and found it in very nice shape for the money. Play the tees that make it fun it’s challenging at 6100 or 6500 anyway.
If you did that you saw what they did to some holes. #4(?), the par 3 that was a 50-60yd long green, but only about 5yds wide. And the par 4 just before it was to a green hanging over the water, with water in front. Think they tweaked both of those holes. Wish they’d tweak the long par 4 on back, with a minimum 150yd carry over waste/swamp to an elevated green. I can’t reach in regulation... since forever.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Love Greenville...will be there this week...
I am in Orlando now and seriously considering moving back to the Upstate. marvelous marvelous place!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom