OT- Deepster’s Favorite Golf Course | The Boneyard

OT- Deepster’s Favorite Golf Course

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I got to play Keney today, the course I grew up on, for the 2nd time in 2 years after many years away. Aside from the fact that I sucked, that place is on the correct path. It’s in great shape, the remodeled club house is nice and the restaurant is not bad and a decent size. It has a lot of play, a fair number of women in early leagues. Given the location, there is a noticeable lack of minority players. I used to play early on Saturdays and by 9 on a nice Sat morning it was empty.

The layout is basically the same but a number of fairways and all the greens are revamped, pretty big, some false fronts and big breaks. More bunkers, usually not in play. Some wooded areas are gone or pretty thinned out. In some ways it seems easier, but not the way I played today.

I believe traffic through the park is controlled with access to the course only off of Windsor Ave. I think the Tower Ave exit/ entrance is no longer available but I’m not sure.

Reaction Score
I got to play Keney today, the course I grew up on, for the 2nd time in 2 years after many years away. Aside from the fact that I sucked, that place is on the correct path. It’s in great shape, the remodeled club house is nice and the restaurant is not bad and a decent size. It has a lot of play, a fair number of women in early leagues. Given the location, there is a noticeable lack of minority players. I used to play early on Saturdays and by 9 on a nice Sat morning it was empty.

The layout is basically the same but a number of fairways and all the greens are revamped, pretty big, some false fronts and big breaks. More bunkers, usually not in play. Some wooded areas are gone or pretty thinned out. In some ways it seems easier, but not the way I played today.

I believe traffic through the park is controlled with access to the course only off of Windsor Ave. I think the Tower Ave exit/ entrance is no longer available but I’m not sure.
Remember having to use a hammer on the dirt tees. Never finished a round without losing all my balls but those were great days. .25c for 9 holes if you were a Hartford student.
I've heard nothing but good things about Keney and our foursome plans to play it this year. Glad you enjoyed it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I've heard Keaney is in excellent shape. All the greens have been regraded too, I hear. I'll have to play it one day.

Reaction Score
i joined the last two years. it’s tremendous, and while the routing remains unchanged that’s about it. with very little hazards, nearly every hole is still a walking double bogey as the green complexes are very difficult. its busy from 630 until at least 1pm every weekend. for $60 to ride, $42 to walk on weekends you can’t beat it.

Reaction Score
Let's get something straight. I never, EVER insinuated you could get killed on the course. The course is where the already dead bodies are dumped, then found.

So you're relatively safe getting a round in on that course with bone dry tee boxes and substandard general conditions. And if you want a cheap frozen hamburger patty warmed up on a flattop washed down with a flat beer afterwards? Have at it. I'd rather go a couple exits up and play at Rockledge.

Reaction Score
Let's get something straight. I never, EVER insinuated you could get killed on the course. The course is where the already dead bodies are dumped, then found.

So you're relatively safe getting a round in on that course with bone dry tee boxes and substandard general conditions. And if you want a cheap frozen hamburger patty warmed up on a flattop washed down with a flat beer afterwards? Have at it. I'd rather go a couple exits up and play at Rockledge.
We don't want your kind at Rockledge. Most of the bodies were dumped where they were killed on Love Lane.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Wrong. That was old Keney. The course is different and in excellent condition with a full restaurant. Each hole is named for a BYer. Yours is alternatively named Dead Man Walking.

Reaction Score
Need to play there soon. With the 2 pigeons me and my partner have been playing lately it will be like dropping dead bodies off there. LOL

Reaction Score
Played this week there, love the track. It is in great shape, after being destroyed by Manchetti (along with Gillette) the rebuild proved that things can be brought back from the dead. The greens are large with elephants buried under them. They roll true. Not long, 6449 from the tips, you need to be in the fairway as overhanging trees can block a stray shot off the tee. Go, check it out you will not be disappointed.

Reaction Score
Played this week there, love the track. It is in great shape, after being destroyed by Manchetti (along with Gillette) the rebuild proved that things can be brought back from the dead. The greens are large with elephants buried under them. They roll true. Not long, 6449 from the tips, you need to be in the fairway as overhanging trees can block a stray shot off the tee. Go, check it out you will not be disappointed.

Keney - Non-resident, weekday 18 with a cart = 58.00
Rockledge - Non-resident, weekday 18 with a cart = 58.00

I'll pass on Keney.

Reaction Score

I'll pass on Keney.
I play mostly at Rockledge but will try keney if only for the memories and most of those memories were frustrating.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Need to play there soon. With the 2 pigeons me and my partner have been playing lately it will be like dropping dead bodies off there. LOL
Karma is a bitch, mau.

Reaction Score

I'll pass on Keney.

The new layout at Keney is infinitely better than Rockledge.

Reaction Score
The new layout at Keney is infinitely better than Rockledge.

Keney = From the blues, 6,046 yds, 68.6 rating, 124 slope
Rockledge = From the blues, 6,436 yds, 71.1 rating, 127 slope

Based on the metrics, it's certainly not tougher. Not sure what "infinitely better" is supposed to mean though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
New restaurant is opening up there next week.
At Rockledge? What sort of food.? They’ve had some good ones and some very average ones that don’t compare to the new Keney ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Keney = From the blues, 6,046 yds, 68.6 rating, 124 slope
Rockledge = From the blues, 6,436 yds, 71.1 rating, 127 slope

Based on the metrics, it's certainly not tougher. Not sure what "infinitely better" is supposed to mean though.

Greetings young, bitter guy. I actually think Keney’s new layout is more forgiving than the old one, made more difficult mostly by the design of the greens and it plays a little longer. I haven’t played Rockledge in a while, it’s where my dad got me into golf. I don’t think the layouts can be compared very well. Traps are more part of Rockledge even though Keney has added a bunch of mostly irrelevant bunkers and a few weird ones. You really ought to give Keney a whirl and decide for yourself. It’s in great condition and like playing a new course for a change of pace.

The worst part is they got rid of the closer parking lot to create a practice area. It’s a pretty long walk from the old second parking area to the clubhouse. If you’re riding, you can bring the cart to the car but you still have to return the cart and do the walk back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom