OT: Death Storm 2018 Watch | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Death Storm 2018 Watch

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's snowing. Wow.
bombcyclone.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's awful where I live and we got our mail delivered.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow that’s a brutal employer. I understand waiting to see if it’s as bad as forecast; this one is worse. I made the call for my office yesterday afternoon. Wife’s and daughter’s employers waited until this morning but decided immediately to close once the forecast was worsening.

Mine used to be like that. We never close, but people who could actually work from home were still told not to. Stupid. Now I can work from home any time I want, and they told us not to go anywhere near the office today.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I told my group to stay home at 6:15. My company officially closed 15 minutes later. I was just outside clearing snow and it was brutal here in Shelton.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I just got a call from the office. PTO on the plow truck wont stay engaged. Good thing the boss got rid of the backup f550. I filed it under not my problem.

Reaction Score
Massachusetts has turned into an icy, flooded death-scape:

Man rescued from Western Avenue apartment

That's a nightmare.
As today’s nor’easter raged on, it quickly became clear that the flooding was the biggest issue, with storm surge battering the Massachusetts coastline.

When high tide hit this afternoon around 12:45 p.m., it appeared that Boston Harbor saw its greatest tide swell since at least the Blizzard of 1978 and possibly since 1921. (NOAA will have to confirm those numbers, but they’re within a few tenths of an inch). This is a remarkable statistic considering all the nor’easters that have happened in the four decades since.

Tide predictions are somewhat difficult and because the storm grew so large, so fast, I suspect that this was under predicted. This means you can expect to see lots more images of flooded shore roads up and down the coastline as many locations continue to experience major flooding.

David Epstein: Snowstorm brings highest tide swell to Boston Harbor since Blizzard of 1978

Photos, videos of potentially historic flooding in Boston, coastal areas

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Looking outside, id like to recant my earlier statement of "give the new snowblower some burn" and "bring it on". That wind is whippin.

That is why I always wait until it is over. Even then the winds may be bad.

I just measured in a few spots and it is over 16" here. The drifting makes it hard to be sure, but the portion of the deck I cleared an hour ago is at least 4" deep now.

Reaction Score
Did anyone get thunder snow? We got that once when I lived in Storrs in the early 90s. Freaky stuff.

Reaction Score
Just bought a house and used the snowblower for first time ever (last decade in a condo). Holy hell was there a lot more snow in Monroe than advertisded. The snow wound down so went out and would blow it and it would blow back in my face...ugh. Is it spring/summer yet?!

Just don’t lose power...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We did too. I was amazed when I saw the USPS truck roll by.
I saw a UPS van about to turn up the street I almost got stuck on. Those things are terrible in the snow. I wonder how he made out.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That is why I always wait until it is over. Even then the winds may be bad.

I just measured in a few spots and it is over 16" here. The drifting makes it hard to be sure, but the portion of the deck I cleared an hour ago is at least 4" deep now.

I cleared my driveway at noon and with drifting it's completely covered with a foot of snow now. Schools are canceled in my town tomorrow.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did anyone get thunder snow? We got that once when I lived in Storrs in the early 90s. Freaky stuff.

Not today, but I’ve beem in that before...caught on the highway. Technically a squall I think. Snowed 12” in about an hour. Insane. Visibility was just a few feet.

Reaction Score
70, not a cloud in the sky

Cheers from SD
I mock you guys only because once I’m back in Boston I will be expected to work in these conditions, as I will be at a hospital. When I was at the VA in West Roxbury during the early 2015 storms, the hospital set up cots in the auditorum, expecting people to stay overnight so they don’t have to worry about commuting. Fortunately for me at the time I was but a graduate clinician and relied on the T to get there, so the few days it was closed in those weeks, I wasn’t expected to show up. But basically everyone else was.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Power just went out. A tree fell and took down power lines. Eversource says it may be a few days because it's too windy to work on it. It's gonna be a cold night with lots of blankets.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Power just went out. A tree fell and took down power lines. Eversource says it may be a few days because it's too windy to work on it. It's gonna be a cold night with lots of blankets.
Oh no. That blows. Sorry to hear that. Are you in MA or CT?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Oh no. That blows. Sorry to hear that. Are you in MA or CT?
CT. A few hundred homes in town list power. Not a good night for that. Risking frozen pipes etc. I hope the wind dies down and they can work.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

No bueno brother. Be safe. Im in the waterbury area if i can help out in any way.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
CT. A few hundred homes in town list power. Not a good night for that. Risking frozen pipes etc. I hope the wind dies down and they can work.
Me too. Good luck for a quick repair. Do you have a fireplace?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nope. Lots of blankets though.
Does your town have a warming center? I really don’t think it’s safe to shelter in place without heat in the temps that are coming. Blankets aren’t going to cut it. You need subfreezing sleeping bags and wool hats. Seriously.

Reaction Score
Cold as shitt....wow. outside30 minutes snowblowing.... avon ct... wind cold

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom