OT: Dead & Company 6/13 roll call.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Dead & Company 6/13 roll call....

Reaction Score
hot take warning: this is just an opinion.

the problem with Dead and Co for me isnt Mayer. Hes doing fine. Really well actually.

Its Bobby and the Drummers. But mostly Bobby.

Not sure about the drummers part. I'm sure they could both drive the tempo as fast as anyone could want, but, like you say, I think it's Bob. I've caught some glimpses when Mayer is really killing it and it's like Mickey and Billy both have a grin on their face like the cat that ate the canary. It's like an inside joke and they're in on it. He really is that good, and no doubt, he's still deferring to Bob, and being held back a bit at the same time.

I'm telling you, in real time, some of the jams in Mexico were awe inspiring. They would have made Jerry proud.

Reaction Score
I'll be there with a small group in the VIP? Lot (Grey Jeep Liberty) for some tailgating. Chose reserved for the show. Great weather expected!!! Working on the tailgate setlist. Menu will be a long strange trip. Will probably post here if possible. Look for the Hot Tuna shirt of course! Oh Jaaaack!!!!
How do you get into that lot? I've been looking online and can't find anything. What time does the lot open?

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I'll be there on Wednesday night.
Funnily enough I won my tickets through a WTIC1080 morning show contest.
Nice seats in 600 Row CCC.
Goes to show how far this scene has come.

Now I have to figure out if I'm driving my car or my wife's to the show.
My license plate is 'GARCIA'. Which is my last name btw.
Problem is one of my plates was actually stolen about 8-9 years ago on lot at a Hartford Allman Brothers / Rat Dog show.
So some head has a nice souvenir but caused a royal pain in the ars for me at the time.
Which included surrendering my plate for 10 months and having to use a temporary one until they determined my plate was't going to be used in any crimes.
Public ones that is...

This show is an appetizer for me for the 3 Phish Gorge and 3 Watkins Glen (Curveball) shows this summer.

w00t!!!!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Problem is one of my plates was actually stolen about 8-9 years ago on lot at a Hartford Allman Brothers / Rat Dog show.
So some head has a nice souvenir but caused a royal pain in the ars for me at the time.
Which included surrendering my plate for 10 months and having to use a temporary one until they determined my plate was't going to be used in any crimes.
Public ones that is...

This show is an appetizer for me for the 3 Phish Gorge and 3 Watkins Glen (Curveball) shows this summer.

w00t!!!!

mayer can't play Maze

Reaction Score

Public ones that is...

w00t!!!!

I always thought you were Rich Garces.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Currently, I really like the Dead Shows Roku app interface for easily accessing decades of concerts that play through a Marantz receiver of the same vintage that once played cassettes and "Aoxomoxoa" through "Mars Hotel" LPs.

I spoke too soon.

On May 5th, Warner Bros wrote a cease & desist to the developer, saying that they owned the songs, so he took down the app. He built it originally to make things easy for his wife who was dying from cancer.

Double bummer.

Reaction Score
There now. Ramble on Rose played at 33 instead of 45. Mayer does what he can to give is some life though, and O'teil and Jeff bring it too.

Bobby be Bobby. Mayer Just ripped a solo that was smooth as anything. Kid is beyond legit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if you thought this was going to suck you were wrong
20180613_211623.jpg

Reaction Score
Mayer ended the set with a great solo during Don't Ease Me In. He is the driving force when they shine. Good stuff.
Sometimes he tries to do too much tonight not so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never thought it would suck and glad to hear the reports. Getting some good texts from friends who are there too.

My problem is just that, my problem. I wish I could overcome the often too-slow pace and the fact that I'd be praising and counting on the only guys who were never actually in the band, but I can't.

I realize it's stupid objectively because there is little doubt in my mind that I gleefully enjoyed many nights when Jerry wasn't even coherent, much less inspired, and I'm sure Mayer is both with these guys--because he has to be.

It just doesn't feel right to me no matter how hard I try.

Reaction Score
Never thought it would suck and glad to hear the reports. Getting some good texts from friends who are there too.

My problem is just that, my problem. I wish I could overcome the often too-slow pace and the fact that I'd be praising and counting on the only guys who were never actually in the band, but I can't.

I realize it's stupid objectively because there is little doubt in my mind that I gleefully enjoyed many nights when Jerry wasn't even coherent, much less inspired, and I'm sure Mayer is both with these guys--because he has to be.

It just doesn't feel right to me no matter how hard I try.

I guess I am willing to endure aome snoozers in between Mayer ripping it up. And O'tiel is right as rain. You put Chimenti with them and its real nice...when the opportunity presents itself. But Bobby is Bobby, and somehow, someway he has earned a lifetime pass. He still clearly loves it, and I think thats enough for me, when surrounded by 3 monsters.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess I am willing to endure aome snoozers in between Mayer ripping it up. And O'tiel is right as rain. You put Chimenti with them and its real nice...when the opportunity presents itself. But Bobby is Bobby, and somehow, someway he has earned a lifetime pass. He still clearly loves it, and I think thats enough for me, when surrounded by 3 monsters.
Looks like a nice set list, especially second set.

Reaction Score
Looks like a nice set list, especially second set.
Yup. Nice LL Rain out of D/S. Been watching the setlists to see what I can expect in Buffalo / Ohio next week. Especially for my wife's benefit. Her enjoyment is a lot more tied into what they play than mine.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I realize it's stupid objectively because there is little doubt in my mind that I gleefully enjoyed

Well put. I was at what are universally decreed as the worst gd shows ever played ( 8/24/85 boreal ridge and 10/13/90 Stockholm) I had exceptional fun at both even while recognizing in real time they were “ off nights”.

( side note: I think people throw 94-95 out of judging “ worst show “ categories because pretty much EVERY show was horrible)

It’s totally just a me thing not a them thing. Glad people had fun. Caught some of last nights stream. Mayer sounded good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well put. I was at what are universally decreed as the worst gd shows ever played ( 8/24/85 boreal ridge and 10/13/90 Stockholm) I had exceptional fun at both even while recognizing in real time they were “ off nights”.

( side note: I think people throw 94-95 out of judging “ worst show “ categories because pretty much EVERY show was horrible)

It’s totally just a me thing not a them thing. Glad people had fun. Caught some of last nights stream. Mayer sounded good.
Yeah, I'm on '93 now in the audio book and almost at the end, and although it is necessary to complete the overall excellent "unabridged" history, it's not nearly as enjoyable hearing about their [what I consider to be final] chapter. Actually pretty sad.

Reaction Score
Live Music | The Ocean Mist Beach Bar

Lots of music lovers here so a little schedule for all of you with some nice shows at the Ocean Mist at Matunuck Beach RI.. Amongst the performers this summer NRBQ, Max Creek, Fogerty & Beaver Brown and they say Steve Smith and the Nakeds are really good but I have not witnessed them yet but will do so this summer. Fun venue for those who haven't made it to The Mist!

Reaction Score
So here's a little reflection on last night. The scene was pretty cool. There were lots of posers but a fair number of true characters. It was a beautiful night for a show and the vibe was good. The strength of the band clearly is comprised of Mayer, Burbridge, and Chimenti. The highlight for me was China/Rider. I really enjoy listening to Mayer and Otiel is massively talented, as is Chimenti. I would go if it was just those three. I bet they would absolutely kill it if given the freedom to do so.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Whelp go figure.

I’m laid up on the couch for a few days and tuned on the Dead and co stream from Citi field.

It was, to me, the best 1st set I’ve heard out of them. All the reasons I said they don’t move me earlier in this thread were gone.

Tempos were on point. Bobby was patient.didnt try to force things, and Mayer and chimenti took over. Just an all around fantastic set.

Oteil absolutely crushed a comes a time too.

Very impressed.

Reaction Score
Live Music | The Ocean Mist Beach Bar

Lots of music lovers here so a little schedule for all of you with some nice shows at the Ocean Mist at Matunuck Beach RI.. Amongst the performers this summer NRBQ, Max Creek, Fogerty & Beaver Brown and they say Steve Smith and the Nakeds are really good but I have not witnessed them yet but will do so this summer. Fun venue for those who haven't made it to The Mist!

Thanks for the heads up....am 9 miles from there, never been there...and despite probably hundreds of chances, still haven't seen Max Creek.
Just went to the Mist website and saw that English Beat - an old college favorite - and a lot of others will be there, too.
Definitely worth checking out...spend the day at the beach and wrap it up with a show...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Whelp go figure.

I’m laid up on the couch for a few days and tuned on the Dead and co stream from Citi field.

It was, to me, the best 1st set I’ve heard out of them. All the reasons I said they don’t move me earlier in this thread were gone.

Tempos were on point. Bobby was patient.didnt try to force things, and Mayer and chimenti took over. Just an all around fantastic set.

Very impressed.

I had a blast last night--they were awesome. Venus was visible above and to the left of the moon and they played Terrapin Station and everyone went nuts lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would go if it was just those three. I bet they would absolutely kill it if given the freedom to do so.
I agree, but I would like the ticket price to reflect that, too, though; I think the attempt to sell it as the Dead is what bothers me most. As I've said, I love JRAD, which is a bunch of younger, great, innovative musicians breathing new life into the cannon. I have no problem with that.

My wife and I listened to a bit of the show last night on Sirius and liked what we heard.

Reaction Score
Whelp go figure.

Very impressed.
And being there is so, SO much better, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom