OT: Daryl Gross not happy with exposure in ACC scheduling. | The Boneyard

OT: Daryl Gross not happy with exposure in ACC scheduling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm sure his concerns will be addressed in a timely manner.

Reaction Score
Our place in the AAC completely sucks for a television revenue standpoint, but if anything has been learned in the past 25 years, it's that kind of situation can change pretty quickly. What's really difficult to change in college football, is your recruiting for your entire program and your exposure, and your profile. The way that the AAC is set up right now, we have recruiting advantages over schools like Syracuse and Boston College. We do. Because of the ACC scheduling in their two division format, and it's clearly laid out in that piece.

Bob Diaco can talk to a recruit in florida, and htat kid is going to be able to come to UCONN, and get everything UCONN has to offer, and be play in front of family, in either Tampa or Orlando, EVERY year....and that kind of advantage doesn't end there with recruiting locations.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure that with a little tweaking of the schedule, central New York will become so much more attractive to kids in Florida.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm sure that with a little tweaking of the schedule, central New York will become so much more attractive to kids in Florida.

Don't forget, Syracuse is NYC's college team. The kid from FL can hop in a car and drive over 5 hours to escape the meth labs of Podunk, NY to go get him some city.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What did they expect with the good ole boy's running the ACC. They need to suck it up and stop their complaining and take it like man

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Gross is right. Florida State, Clemson and Miami should be begging to play in their dump dome in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
If I read it correctly BCU gets a home game AND a Fenway game.

Not a bad deal. Of course I could be wrong.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Well they could have had future games against good teams in Connecticut to ease the travel burden and help their SOS but someone in the SU president's office had the map of the USA upside down and they shot down UConn and endorsed their "northern" neighbor Louisville last round of expansion.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Edit: I might be completely off on the crux of their argument, but I refuse to read the story if only because we spent 30 years in the same conference as Jim Boeheim. I've seen enough whining in that time from NYC's College Team that I don't care to read anymore about their favorite pastime.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If I read it correctly BCU gets a home game AND a Fenway game.

Not a bad deal. Of course I could be wrong.
I believe that's correct. I don't think it's a bad deal for them at all.

Reaction Score
Boston College and Notre Dame are always going to be tied together because of the irish catholic perception thing, even if BC is Jesuit. BC and Notre Dame have been playing every year since 1992. Moving to the ACC as conference member in everything but football, was a no brainer for the Irish to maintain their independence. TRUE Boston college home games. I would expect ND to start wiggling more and more Fenway or Foxboro games into their schedule as the annual ACC conference matchup with BC as they move down the road.

Reaction Score
Boston College and Notre Dame are always going to be tied together because of the irish catholic perception thing, even if BC is Jesuit. BC and Notre Dame have been playing every year since 1992. Moving to the ACC as conference member in everything but football, was a no brainer for the Irish to maintain their independence. TRUE Boston college home games. I would expect ND to start wiggling more and more Fenway or Foxboro games into their schedule as the annual ACC conference matchup with BC as they move down the road.
Do you believe half of what you write? Every year since 1992 except for 2005, 2006, 2013 and 2014. BC has no incentive to give up a home game to play in Foxboro or Fenway and ND has no leverage to force it. ND has plenty of incentive to schedule their Shamrock series game wherever it is most beneficial to them. Originally, the BC-ND game in 2015 was rumored to be in Ireland. My guess is that ND has seen that little excursion run its course with no tangible benefit if it is there too often. So they move this to Fenway. First game there in 30+ years. They will control tickets and the gate. And BC and ND are not playing annually as part of the ACC deal. ND will be playing all teams on a rotating basis. Do you think ND wants to move the GT to the GA dome? The Duke, UNC, Wake and NC State games to Charlotte? No one will move a guaranteed home game with ND anywhere. They don't have to. ND can move their Shamrock game anywhere they want and they will do it as long as it benefits them.

Reaction Score
Do you believe half of what you write? Every year since 1992 except for 2005, 2006, 2013 and 2014. BC has no incentive to give up a home game to play in Foxboro or Fenway and ND has no leverage to force it. ND has plenty of incentive to schedule their Shamrock series game wherever it is most beneficial to them. Originally, the BC-ND game in 2015 was rumored to be in Ireland. My guess is that ND has seen that little excursion run its course with no tangible benefit if it is there too often. So they move this to Fenway. First game there in 30+ years. They will control tickets and the gate. And BC and ND are not playing annually as part of the ACC deal. ND will be playing all teams on a rotating basis. Do you think ND wants to move the GT to the GA dome? The Duke, UNC, Wake and NC State games to Charlotte? No one will move a guaranteed home game with ND anywhere. They don't have to. ND can move their Shamrock game anywhere they want and they will do it as long as it benefits them.

I believe games with ND will be moved in many cases. Why? ND will want it, financially, the schools will realize it makes sense to them, and some of the stadiums are just too small. And ND does have leverage. For example, offer Syracuse a Shamrock game in NY if they play their ACC home game with ND in NY as well. Finally, anyone who has been around ND long enough knows they pretty much get what they want.

Reaction Score
I believe that's correct. I don't think it's a bad deal for them at all.

As I read more, I forgot ND is playing ACC teams on a rotating basis. They get ND no matter what. Either way it's a great game for BCU donors and the players.

Reaction Score
This is where a 16 team conference is better than a 14 team conference. With a 4 pod 16 team conference and 9 game conference slate, you would play 3 teams in your pod every year and 2 teams from each of the other pods every year. Thus, in 4 years, you play every team in the conference at least once home and away. With 2 divisions and 14 teams and a 9 game schedule, you still have scheduling problems.

ND as an associate member mucks up potential ACC scheduling. There are schools in the ACC that play SEC rivals every year like FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville. Add in an 8 league schedule and ND every so often, these teams have 10 games committed some years and if the ACC played 9 games, they would have up to 11 games committed in a given year. In addition, the ACC has some annual league crossover games that would be hard for ESPN and the schools to give up like FSU/Miami, Clemson/GT, NC/NC St.

Reaction Score
I believe games with ND will be moved in many cases. Why? ND will want it, financially, the schools will realize it makes sense to them, and some of the stadiums are just too small. And ND does have leverage. For example, offer Syracuse a Shamrock game in NY if they play their ACC home game with ND in NY as well. Finally, anyone who has been around ND long enough knows they pretty much get what they want.
I don't see any ACC school giving up a guaranteed home game/sell out to accommodate ND. ND can play their Shamrock game wherever they want. It is one of their "home" games and since most years they get 8 home games, moving it around the country does not really do anything except line their pockets more. Anytime ND wants to do one of their required ACC games as a Shamrock game in some stadium of their choice, that will obviously happen. But when ND is the visiting team, I doubt you ever see those games moved. ND has no leverage when it comes to the location of ACC home games. They don't even have the leverage they used to have with BC when they required 3 for 2. That evolved into an even 4 and 4 over time with none of the games ever even mentioned to be in Foxboro.

This move to play BC in Boston twice in 3 years really has me wondering what drove this strategy? Fenway and NBC must have offered some decent money to make it happen in Boston versus in Ireland, South Bend or and other "neutral" location.

Reaction Score
This is where a 16 team conference is better than a 14 team conference. With a 4 pod 16 team conference and 9 game conference slate, you would play 3 teams in your pod every year and 2 teams from each of the other pods every year. Thus, in 4 years, you play every team in the conference at least once home and away. With 2 divisions and 14 teams and a 9 game schedule, you still have scheduling problems.

ND as an associate member mucks up potential ACC scheduling. There are schools in the ACC that play SEC rivals every year like FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville. Add in an 8 league schedule and ND every so often, these teams have 10 games committed some years and if the ACC played 9 games, they would have up to 11 games committed in a given year. In addition, the ACC has some annual league crossover games that would be hard for ESPN and the schools to give up like FSU/Miami, Clemson/GT, NC/NC St.

Ten team conferences were the best in my opinion. These huge conferences are more like confederations.

Reaction Score

No, a lot of times, I don't, especially when I"ve tossed back a few.

Reaction Score
This is where 4 regional 4-team pods come in handy. We likely have the following choices:

Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn. And BC, Syracuse, UConn, Cincinnati (and Notre Dame).

Reaction Score
Why would conferences go to 16 when that means splitting the money more ways and there aren't enough good schools left to get each conference to 16.

Reaction Score
Why would conferences go to 16 when that means splitting the money more ways and there aren't enough good schools left to get each conference to 16.
There's going to be a continued arms race to see who can create the coolest gathering of schools. More money is made when these schools play each other, not FCS schools. Certain conferences are going nowhere: the SEC, the Pac-12, and the B1G. The other two "power 5" conferences are vulnerable to being further purged.

Reaction Score
This is where 4 regional 4-team pods come in handy. We likely have the following choices:

Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn. And BC, Syracuse, UConn, Cincinnati (and Notre Dame).
I don't see Cincinnati Butch?And SU/BC/UConn is too much covering an isolated well-covered pocket! I like option #1 though.

Reaction Score
I don't see Cincinnati Butch?And SU/BC/UConn is too much covering an isolated well-covered pocket! I like option #1 though.

In option 1, dump Rutgirls for Cincinnati and it would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom