OT: Crate Training Puppy | The Boneyard

OT: Crate Training Puppy

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I just got a puppy named Moe (short for Moses) who is around 8 weeks old (might be 7 not sure) and we are trying to crate train. Last night, the dog cried for nearly two hours before falling asleep for two hours, and then woke up and cried for another 45 mins. Is this normal? I was told to just ignore it and power through it but this seems excessive.

PS i tried to post a pic of the pup but the file was too big and too lazy to change it

Reaction Score
Yeah....do you have a crate mat and/or blanket in there? Biggest key to crate training..take them out immediately after they eat.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yup I have a big blanket laying across the bottom and toys in there. She cried for so long and when I take her out of the crate she is usually shaking uncontrollably. I think the dog may just be very anxious in general

Reaction Score
Its common. I have a sissy dog that cried like he was being tortured every night. It was terrible. He’d still do it if I crated him over night.

Try putting the crate in a corner. Dogs love the security of walls. Put a beach towel over the crate so he can’t see out (leave a few inches uncovered around the bottom of the crate so he gets air circulation). It supposedly relaxes them and it definitely helped with my pup.

Also, if you don’t have him in your room, you could try that. Some dogs just want to be with their family and do better when they know you are right there. I just found my dogs move around in the crate and make too much noise so I never kept the crate in our bedroom for long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As was said above, a blanket over the crate helps. I also found with my dog that if we played a radio at very low volume it helped in the beginning. After a couple of weeks we didn’t need the radio anymore, but we still cover the crate at night to keep him sleeping through the night. Good luck!

Reaction Score
We first had our puppy in the other room. Covered the crate with a blanket. She cried for almost 3 weeks. Finally moved the crate next to our bed. No more crying. They are used to sleeping in a pack.. puppied like to sleep 6/7/8 in a row on top of each other. it’s scary for them to be alone in a dark room by themselves. Try by your bed in the crate. Might do the trick. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Crying is normal but you need to stand your ground. I always put the crate next to our bed so it wasn't too far away for the pup. Eventually you'll be able to leave the door open and Moe will crawl right in and stay there. Then you graduate to a bed for the guy that he will love more than anything. Have fun and congratulations!

Reaction Score
@UCYamsMD is “Phil” going to be soliciting the BY for advice on parenting as well? That is not a good idea.
I'd trust you fine bunch of gentlemen with my first born

Don’t listen to @Jimmy Serrano - it’s all the same concepts. We’re here for you:

020.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I just got a puppy named Moe (short for Moses) who is around 8 weeks old (might be 7 not sure) and we are trying to crate train. Last night, the dog cried for nearly two hours before falling asleep for two hours, and then woke up and cried for another 45 mins. Is this normal? I was told to just ignore it and power through it but this seems excessive.

PS i tried to post a pic of the pup but the file was too big and too lazy to change it

If you email me the picture I'll add it to your post.

tom@ lastname.net

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My dog was a rescue. She was probably 2-3 mos. old. A volunteer had her at her house for a few days before I got her and told me how her (blue haired) daughter had to sleep next to cage to stop the dog from whining all night. My kids volunteered to sleep next to dog every night while she got used to our home. I said we'll see. We crated her in the kitchen.

That night around 11 I went to bed to and about 5 minutes later the dog started to whine. I came downstairs walked over to her cage and yelled a very loud "no!" That was it. I went up stairs and the dog went to sleep. No whining.

Make sure the crate is big enough for the dog but not big like a play pen. The principal behind crate training is that dogs don't poop in their den. So don't leave it room to find a spot away from where it sleeps. Make it easy on the dog by walking her after eating and praise him or her when she poops/pees outside. Walk her again right before bed and get up early to limit the time they have to hold it. It doesn't take long if you are consistent.

Dogs love to please. If you are consistent, they'll figure out what you want and do it. Good luck and congrats on getting a dog.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Toss in a Benadryl.

Both of them should have a bourbon and a Benadryl and just forget the stupid crate and spend the night watching YouTube videos.

That’s how you make a pet a pal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My dog was a rescue.

That night around 11 I went to bed to and about 5 minutes later the dog started to whine. I came downstairs walked over to her cage and yelled a very loud "no!" That was it. I went up stairs and the dog went to sleep. No whining.
.\

You are a straight monster. That dog probably figured, ‘Crap. I need to be rescued again.’

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are a straight monster. That dog probably figured, ‘Crap. I need to be rescued again.’
Damn right she did.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The key to crate training my dog was having a special treat that she only gets when she’s in the crate. We load up a kong with peanut butter and she only gets that in her house. It builds a positive association.

You should also not use the crate as a punishment or timeout while trying to establish the area. You want the place to be as positive as possible.

Don’t make a big deal about taking her out. You don’t want her thinking she’s being rewarded for not being in her crate.

Our dog, Kemba, took some time and a lot of patience but now she loves going in there. She puts herself in in when she sees me coming downstairs in my work clothes. Have you signed her up for classes? I can’t recommend Tails You Win in Manchester enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The key to crate training my dog was having a special treat that she only gets when she’s in the crate. We load up a kong with peanut butter and she only gets that in her house. It builds a positive association.

You should also not use the crate as a punishment or timeout while trying to establish the area. You want the place to be as positive as possible.

Don’t make a big deal about taking her out. You don’t want her thinking she’s being rewarded for not being in her crate.

Our dog, Kemba, took some time and a lot of patience but now she loves going in there. She puts herself in in when she sees me coming downstairs in my work clothes. Have you signed her up for clothes? I can’t recommend Tails You Win in Manchester enough.

Your dog Kemba. Did you walker often?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What's the purpose of crating?

Basically just trying to do it for the first couple of months until the dog can make it through the night iwthout going to the bathroom. Also I will need to crate the dog when I'm at school for the first couple of months...only about 3 hrs at a time. Trying my best to be home and available as much as possible. We scrapped the idea of crating overnight because it's gone so poorly, but have to crate a bit during the day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom