OT: Crate Training Puppy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Crate Training Puppy

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We aren't done crate training young Phil here on the Yard, so how is he is attempting to do this on his own?

Got the slash twice in the past month...I think I'm regressing

Reaction Score
Very common. Happened with the 8 week old puppy my girl and I got a year ago. Just gotta deal with it. It may help, if you haven’t tried yet, to have his crate next to or at least within line of sight of you. Even just dangling my arm off the bed next to the crate helped him a lot, so my scent was right there. Puppies are used to being and sleeping around their family members. Plus they definitely have no sense of object permanence; when you leave the room and they can’t see you, they think they are completely alone, and that will drive up anxiety. They aren’t much different from human babies in that regard

I’ve heard draping a blanket over the crate can help too

Reaction Score
Hey @UCYamsMD - found a little something for @uconnphil2016 's Easter Basket...

pug.jpg

Reaction Score
Very common. Happened with the 8 week old puppy my girl and I got a year ago. Just gotta deal with it. It may help, if you haven’t tried yet, to have his crate next to or at least within line of sight of you. Even just dangling my arm off the bed next to the crate helped him a lot, so my scent was right there. Puppies are used to being and sleeping around their family members. Plus they definitely have no sense of object permanence; when you leave the room and they can’t see you, they think they are completely alone, and that will drive up anxiety. They aren’t much different from human babies in that regard

I’ve heard draping a blanket over the crate can help too

I agree with most. They need to see another warm body because often when you pick up a pup they've been sharing an area with other pups, so they are use to scent, sight, and warm body to cuddle next to.

Let the pup cuddle next to you on the bed. He can see you, smell you, and feel you. He'll sleep for hours. And it will feel like there is a hot water bottle against your stomach and/or back.

Your girl friend can hunker down on the floor in a corner of your room. Hopefully she doesn't whine to much, and has already been trained.

Reaction Score
I agree with most. They need to see another warm body because often when you pick up a pup they've been sharing an area with other pups, so they are use to scent, sight, and warm body to cuddle next to.

Let the pup cuddle next to you on the bed. He can see you, smell you, and feel you. He'll sleep for hours. And it will feel like there is a hot water bottle against your stomach and/or back.

Your girl friend can hunker down on the floor in a corner of your room. Hopefully she doesn't whine to much, and has already been trained.
Yeah I would lay down on the floor next to his crate for a bit until he fell asleep. Did that very often

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Now I'm getting ads for fancy dog crates. I'd get the one that looks like a jail cell.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UConn Phil in the doghouse is a nice touch

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Nothin but teeth on this heathon of a puppy. So mouthy. Got her plenty of chew toys and nylabones but wont leave my 5 yesr old alone. Ive had to pin her twice on her back. Gonna be tough to break that herding instinct.
IMG_2358.JPG

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Nothin but teeth on this heathon of a puppy. So mouthy. Got her plenty of chew toys and nylabones but wont leave my 5 yesr old alone. Ive had to pin her twice on her back. Gonna be tough to break that herding instinct. View attachment 29290
Get used to it. You can have all the toys you want, they'll always prefer your fingers!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom