OT- Coughlin out | The Boneyard

OT- Coughlin out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was a fun ride with the highest of the highs and lowest of the lows. Thought they had a chance of winning it in another season or two but injuries derailed them. It wasn't always pretty and their was always drama but he brought us two magical Super Bowls and will forever be a Giants legend for that. He came in a hard arse who wouldn't budge and lightened up and became a likable players coach, I give him a lot of credit for loosening up and changing his ways, thanks for the two rings Tom!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Unfortunate - I like the guy ... a lot. But when it's time for a change, it's time for a change.

I hope they keep McAdoo and Spags ... I know the defense was atrocious and lost them a number of games, but the personal was depleted from day 1 and it was his first year back. Reese has grabbed some nice players over the years, but he's probably next on the chopping block if things don't improve.

Now who do they try to get?

Reaction Score
It was time but by no means am I happy about this, its a sad day for the Giants franchise. Thank you for the 2 superbowls. A great coach and an even better person 100 percent heart poured into the Giants and a total class act.

Now its time for the front office and that means you JERRY REESE STEP THE UP or else this franchise will turn into the Knicks/Cleveland Browns, you are wasting Eli's prime years.

Reaction Score
It was time but by no means am I happy about this, its a sad day for the Giants franchise. Thank you for the 2 superbowls. A great coach and an even better person 100 percent heart poured into the Giants and a total class act.

Now its time for the front office and that means you JERRY REESE STEP THE UP or else this franchise will turn into the Knicks/Cleveland Browns, you are wasting Eli's prime years.
Nothing will change while Reese and Marc Ross are making personal decisions.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As a Patriots fan, I'm happy as duckck. One of the few coaches in history who've had BB's number. The proximity/similar roots were just too close for comfort.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unfortunate - I like the guy ... a lot. But when it's time for a change, it's time for a change.

I hope they keep McAdoo and Spags ... I know the defense was atrocious and lost them a number of games, but the personal was depleted from day 1 and it was his first year back. Reese has grabbed some nice players over the years, but he's probably next on the chopping block if things don't improve.

Now who do they try to get?
I want Payton.

Reaction Score
Sean Payton has to be the top choice, but the Saints are currently looking for a 2nd round pick to part ways with him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sean Payton has to be the top choice, but the Saints are currently looking for a 2nd round pick to part ways with him.

That's totally worth it. Payton is good. I'm not saying he's BB, but the first round pick the Patriots spent to get him was the best trade in franchise history.

Reaction Score
I want Payton.

Definetly he would be my number 1 choice of available coaches my dream coach would be Jim Harbaugh that would really get a Giants-Niners rivalry to the next level.

Reaction Score
That's totally worth it. Payton is good. I'm not saying he's BB, but the first round pick the Patriots spent to get him was the best trade in franchise history.

Yeah that 2nd round pick would be the next JPP of Tight Ends anyways.

Reaction Score
Definetly he would be my number 1 choice of available coaches my dream coach would be Jim Harbaugh that would really get a Giants-Niners rivalry to the next level.
Would love Harbaugh but it is not happening sadly.

McDaniels, Mcadoo, Doug Marone, and B Kelly will get hard looks.

Would take any of the first 3 listed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think that's much of a hurdle, and they could probably even be bargained down.

The only thing about hiring Payton that concerns me is the risk of losing McAdoo to Philly.

Reaction Score
I want Payton. 2nd rounder for him isn't that bad of a price. Like Scoe alludes, it's not like we've hit on our 2nd rounders all that much recently.

Reaction Score
I definitely want Payton and think he'd be thrilled to coach NYG too. I'd be fine with giving up the 2nd round, I'm just hoping the ability for them to successfully negotiate for him worries me. Teams such as San Fran and Philly will be taking a look at getting him, too. Get it done, Reese.

Reaction Score
I want Payton. 2nd rounder for him isn't that bad of a price. Like Scoe alludes, it's not like we've hit on our 2nd rounders all that much recently.
Roster is so devoid of talent its hard to give up a 2nd round pick, especially one this high, for a Payton. But I have no faith in Reese drafting someone decent there anyways I guess.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah that 2nd round pick would be the next JPP of Tight Ends anyways.

That's OK, just get a guy who can block. Should be able to do that with one hand...

Reaction Score
I know he hasn't coached in forever but what about Bill Cowher? The word was always that the Giants is Cowher's dream job.

Reaction Score
Giants provide easily the most attractive head coaching job in the NFL. The organization is top notch, shows some loyalty and doesn't jump head coaches every years like the Browns & Raiders, the market is huge with so they can pay the coaches, an established prime QB in Eli with a young superstar in Odell. There are surely some missing pieces but there's a nice framework with an improving O-Line as well. I'm sure the Giants will find someone really good to coach the team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not a Giants fan, but I live in New York and the Giants are basically the team I get to watch every week.

I'm a Coughlin fan - just a top-notch, no BS guy and he has two Super Bowl rings.

Giants' fans should always remember this guy fondly.

Reaction Score
Lots of questions. Is Reese secure? If the Giants hire from outside do the coordinators stay? I feel a new coach will be handcuffed if Tom is the only one to go. I think Mac has a good shot. Was he at all responsible for the poor play calling and time management on end of game offense? Our offense was pretty darn good considering the talent level after Eli and ODBjr

Reaction Score
Payton, little late for another Christmas gift but he's the #1 and #2 choice.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gilbride got booted and two years later Coughlin follows. Neither Gilbride nor Coughlin were the problem. Reese is. He has drafted poorly over his time as Giants personnel chief. His free agents haven't been successful either. Where would the Giants be if Reese did not inherit Manning? He hit big on Beckham. But the Giants are basically a two man team. Reese needs to go.

Reaction Score
Giants are losing a great coach. Coughlin knew how to coach, knew the rule book inside and out, always had his teams prepared and motivated, and got the most out of his players. Are there many players who left the Giants and went on to play much better elsewhere? I can think of a couple defensive linemen who are/were solid players with other teams, but not stars.

On the side of small victories, now all the clocks at Giants headquarters can changed back to the correct time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My list:

5. Charlie Weis
4. George O'Leary
3. June Jones
2. Tiki Barber
1. Ray Handley

3297-270Fr.jpg

Reaction Score
Gilbride got booted and two years later Coughlin follows. Neither Gilbride nor Coughlin were the problem. Reese is. He has drafted poorly over his time as Giants personnel chief. His free agents haven't been successful either. Where would the Giants be if Reese did not inherit Manning? He hit big on Beckham. But the Giants are basically a two man team. Reese needs to go.
I think Gilbride was a big problem. He was not a good play caller in alot if situations. I hated when he would always call the shotgun draws and wasn't the right playcaller for Eli's style. Mcadoo is alot better for it, and even though he still calls draws alot, his overall playcalling is better imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom