OT: College Search: UCONN vs. Out of State | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: College Search: UCONN vs. Out of State

Reaction Score
What a day! I spent the whole day choking back tears. Got to tour the new Peter Werth residence hall and it’s ridiculous! Hard to imagine this is the same place I went to 30 years ago!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I accepted without ever setting foot on campus. My Dad was pushing me towards a Navy ROTC scholarship and I applied to schools that had it. He drive me so crazy with it that I withdrew my app and overnighted my UCONN app on the second to last day. It felt like I was under duress and it worked out great as well.

Thanks all for the congrats. It feels great, not only because she’s a Husky but because she’s set up for a better future without a mound of debt. We have busted our asses to save what amounts to about two years for her. We explained she would have a tough time doing that for her kids if she had all that debt. I think that really hit home for her. Really looking forward to tomorrow!
Did UConn have NROTC? I feel like it didn't, at least when I was there.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm a little late to the game but I'll add my two cents. We live outside Chicago. My daughter is a senior and is also going into nursing. We narrowed it to only direct admit nursing program schools. She was wait listed at Minnesota and Purdue and got in at Marquette and Cincy. The packages were about equal and she wanted to get away so Cincy it is. The key for a nursing program is the number of hospitals in the vicinity. All nurses need hours at tier one hospitals. If my daughter went to Purdue (which we both really liked) she would have an hour commute both ways four days a week to Indianapolis because that is the nearest tier 1 hospital. On a side note Alabama has given free rides to over 1,000 Illinois kids in the last three years. Some have gotten 5 or 6 year rides. They are looking for out of state kids and are flush with cash. Saban is worth every penny. The kids I know who went there were smart with high test scores but not Ivy or bust kids. Bama its worth a look for a free education.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I'm a little late to the game but I'll add my two cents. We live outside Chicago. My daughter is a senior and is also going into nursing. We narrowed it to only direct admit nursing program schools. She was wait listed at Minnesota and Purdue and got in at Marquette and Cincy. The packages were about equal and she wanted to get away so Cincy it is. The key for a nursing program is the number of hospitals in the vicinity. All nurses need hours at tier one hospitals. If my daughter went to Purdue (which we both really liked) she would have an hour commute both ways four days a week to Indianapolis because that is the nearest tier 1 hospital. On a side note Alabama has given free rides to over 1,000 Illinois kids in the last three years. Some have gotten 5 or 6 year rides. They are looking for out of state kids and are flush with cash. Saban is worth every penny. The kids I know who went there were smart with high test scores but not Ivy or bust kids. Bama its worth a look for a free education.
Another member on the #AmericanRising train at least.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Another member on the #AmericanRising train at least.
I'm struggling with the Cincy thing right now. One of my boys graduated from Iowa a few years back and I still watch Iowa football and basketball(even though Fran McCaffrey is a horses behind) but I'm not sure I can ever cheer for Cincy. I'm guessing I'll come around and cheer for them except against the Huskies. At least I'll go to two Huskie FB and BB games over the next four years.

Reaction Score
Went to PC 20 years ago. Lots of new buildings, ranked high for regional US News Rankings last 25 years. Small class sizes, caring professors. $30k in debt.
Sister now 38, went to Endicott College to be a teacher, graduated with crushing debt.
Other sister 28, went Southern CT State to be a teacher. Worked her way through school, got great education, didn't care about sports / campus life. NO DEBT.
Nursing/ teaching majors can go anywhere. Bet my sister would have rather gone to Central CT than Endicott and have little to no debt.
OP - Congratulations on daughter going to UCONN

I went to Endicott over UConn, don't regret it(Also not a teacher, agreed that's silly).

Reaction Score
My son and I went to the Husky for a Day program yesterday (I have to admit, I am READY to enroll for another 4 years!). He loved it. When he finished the day he told me to place the enrollment deposit down. Excited for him to start in the fall and seeing him as a student at all the football and hoops games. Class of 2022!

Reaction Score
My son and I went to the Husky for a Day program yesterday (I have to admit, I am READY to enroll for another 4 years!). He loved it. When he finished the day he told me to place the enrollment deposit down. Excited for him to start in the fall and seeing him as a student at all the football and hoops games. Class of 2022!

Congrats! I can't wait for football games and hockey games as well. We're going to try to hit one of the baseball games at DD Park coming up in May.

I too am ready for another four years. This is not the same school I attended. It's beautiful. My daughter applied to one of the Learning Community Floors in the new Peter J. Werth building. 60 " Flat screens in every lounge. Game room with multiple pool tables, foosball tables and shuffleboard. Cable and WiFi included. Ridiculous! The Jungle had a broken PacMan machine in one of the lounges and that was it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom