OT: College Search: UCONN vs. Out of State | The Boneyard

OT: College Search: UCONN vs. Out of State

Reaction Score
I'd love to hear from people whose kids are currently in the throws of the college search as well as those who made the decision FOR or AGAINST sending their kids to our alma mater.

My wife and I are both UCONN alumni ('94 Pharmacy and '91 History). We both chose UCONN because it was cheap. It is certainly a much better school now than it was 25 years ago. My daughter is a senior in High School and has applied to UCONN for sentimental reasons (us) and financial reasons, but it's really low on her list.

She has applied to a private schools ('Nova, Pitt, Northeastern and Syracuse [vomit]) and also state schools (PSU, Michigan, WVU (wife's grad alma mater). As a kid who hasn't travelled a lot, she feels she wants to go out of state. We're not going to force her to go anywhere, and she is very sensitive to what we can afford together.

Her major will be nursing, so honestly, it really doesn't matter where she gets the degree. UCONN's nursing program is great, and the cost is far more affordable for us. I would love to see her on FB Saturdays and know that she's less than an hour away at any time.

With the current condition of Connecticut's economy and the prospect of more taxes and a continued downward economic spiral, my wife and I would love for her to find an area outside of Connecticut and fall in love with it.

So we're really torn about this. On one hand, we love our alma mater, and we're trying not to saddle ourselves or our kid with monster loans. On the other hand, we're really fed up with the state of this state and want the best college experience for our daughter.

Reaction Score
I was speaking to an extended family member (who lives in Mass.) about this a few weeks ago. She was deciding between UConn, UMass and Delaware and sought my wife and I out as we are both UConn alums. I'll tell you the same thing I told her -- Undergraduate education is a commodity, with very few exceptions. From an educational standpoint, none of the schools on her list fall into those exceptions. Find the cheapest place where she feels comfortable, and go there.

Save Boston, none of those locations are going to be exceptional economically, so that shouldn't really factor into the decision. Plenty of UConn grads move out of state as soon as they are done.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My kids are young so I can't comment on the plus or minus of current students. However, I was an out of state kid who lived their whole life in the same town and had no interest in staying in state (NJ). I found my way to UConn and loved it. I stayed in state but that was my choice. So I totally understand her reasoning for not wanting to stay in state.

I think the post college thoughts need to not be totally on her mind unless her program would lead to her doing an internship that leads to a job. If that's the case she might be in CT but not definitely. After she graduates she could make whatever choice she wants for where she ends up. Being a nurse I'd imagine she'd find a job anywhere she'd want so thinking about staying in CT because that's where she went to school might not even be an issue.

In the end I'd think that financial reasons should be a priority but so should your daughter's happiness. If you could swing it for her to go to a private or out of state school and that's her main interest, I wouldn't try and persuade her to stay. My parents made me apply to one in state school even though they knew I'd never go.

Reaction Score
Everyone wants something different in their college search. My brother and I both attended uconn. He began at BC but couldn't afford the costs of city life and education. I went straight from high school. I really didn't want to go to school in state, but the campus environment is one of the best I've seen. The conversation with my parents about of how I would get home for breaks took me away from my other top schools of Texas and Michigan. The costs of flying and just travel time in general would mean I would only come home once or twice a year which to some isn't a big deal but to others is a deal breaker. Even though it seems easy on paper To go far sometimes there are outside variables that need to be taken into account.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nearly every friend I have (ages 28-32) that had to take out substantial loans for school say that it is their biggest regret and while they loved school, they would have probably loved it everywhere and not be drowning in debt.

UConn is a great school and while there are great hospitals in CT, she can pivot to Boston or NYC pretty easily.

Reaction Score
A UConn degree serves very well in the Bos-Wash corridor. Connecticut will be fine in the long run, given it is part of the corridor.

Tell her it would be wise to live elsewhere or travel after she is done with school.

Reaction Score
I'm from Connecticut, went to UConn, love UConn, moved to DC upon graduating.

UConn is better academically than many of the schools you listed and the price point for that quality is nearly impossible to beat.

Having said that, she should go wherever she feels most comfortable while also having a full understanding of the ramifications of graduating with debt.

Except Syracuse. Under no circumstances should she attend Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her major will be nursing, so honestly, it really doesn't matter where she gets the degree. UCONN's nursing program is great, and the cost is far more affordable for us.
Nursing is such a high demand career field, all she needs is her degree and pass her boards. If she has any competency she will be employed for life and find the part of the health profession that best fulfills her.

Yup... Save the debt for advanced degree (MSN, APRN)

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
College is an investment. The ROI for UCONN for in-state students is much better than any other school on the list. No one will say, "Wow! You went to Pitt? Hired!" Send her to UCONN and she will leave with the knowledge, skills, and financial security to do whatever she wants.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I would definitely rule out any of the privates. They tend to be immensely more expensive than the state schools and the ones that are listed above are just as good as if not worse academically as UConn/PSU/Michigan.

I totally get the allure of going to a big time football school like Michigan or Penn State. The pride the alumni of those schools have in their alma mater is pretty special and automatically assists you in any search down the road.

But for a field like nursing, as a recent (2015) graduate of UConn, I know a TON of UConn nursing grads. About 10 to be exact. All of them have loved their experience and all of them found tremendous opportunities out of school. One of my best friends is a Nursing graduate from UConn and she currently works at New York Presbyterian. She had tremendous amounts of opportunity.

I also have extended family in nursing in the midwest. 3 of my cousins completed the Nursing program at St. Louis University and all easily found work after school. Ultimately I don't think your daughter will have any trouble finding a good gig after school if she is a good student in her Nursing program.

All of that being said- paying student loans blows. I still owe UConn (came from out of state) and while my scholarship definitely helped and I love the school, It would be really nice to save the few hundred dollars a month I contribute to my undergraduate loans. I'd suggest making a true pros/cons list of everything for each school but heavily weighting it towards cost. Best of luck and if you need any additional answers about the Nursing program at UConn I would be happy to put you/your daughter in contact with any of the recent grads I know from there.

Reaction Score
I really want to drive home the point about debt.

My wife and I are both in our mid to late 20's and we went to our respective in-state flagship universities. We were both unbelievably fortunate to be able to graduate without going into debt and that fact alone has been a tremendous benefit as we build towards the future.

We have many friends our age who either went to private school or out of state schools and took on tremendous debt in order to do so. While they have jobs that pay similarly, they are obviously greatly hampered in their ability to save.

I had no idea what taking on 40, 50, 80, 100 even 150k in debt would mean for me as an adult when I was a stupid 17 year old making these decisions. Luckily my parents made it very clear from the start that my only choice was UConn.

Maybe things have changed, but I do not recall anyone in my high school (guidance counselers etc etc) ever speaking about this stuff, but it should be spoken about! It's important.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd say any chance to intern/co-op/work study in the nursing field will be as valuable or more valuable than the sheepskin with a university's name on it. Even in an open career field it never hurts to have personal recommendations.

Mrs. Diesel has her 2-year ASN but it's her oncology and infusions that make her the money. We'll put her back in school in a couple of years to finish off her BSN.

Reaction Score
Two things to add

I’ve discovered by my network of owners of Private Student housing that there is a wave of Northeastern kids flooding into the Southeast Public Universities. Even Auburn Alabama. There’s no way a Clemson or a Auburn (excepting specific departments / Fields) are comparable to Penn State or UConn. But dems the facts. Housing at Penn State - for instance - is hurt by enrollment drops. Some notable second tier public’s have dropped 30%. SUNYs Keene State Westfield State Penn State-Harrisburg.

The anecdotal insights is that kids have gone to all kinds of Public’s down south.

Definitely something to watch.

Nursing

I live in Westchester near a train station in a great HS district.

I just listened to a HS senior opine that she was far better going to Nursing at UPenn (Ivy) than various upper level States. UConn Pitt included.

This befuddles me. Nursing - I guess - can be impacted by the higher degree. But the sheer total cost (for a family who’s not 1% but working class) seems to be a topic I’d seriously research. I totally agree on the Debt point made. You are far better off not having that early in life.

Reaction Score
She has applied to a private schools ('Nova, Pitt, Northeastern and Syracuse [vomit]) and also state schools (PSU, Michigan, WVU (wife's grad alma mater).
Quick thoughts @AreBee1969 : As long as your daughter studies hard/effectively, actually graduates with a nursing degree, and passes required boards, she'll find work in a rapidly aging society. When considering schools, how much has she considered "What if I don't graduate with a nursing degree and instead finish with a less marketable degree from schools (A-Z)"? Will school X with a less marketable degree position me to find or create a good career opportunity? 4 year fun versus potential 40 year consideration?

Of the schools listed:
- Academically, Michigan stands out. Decent associated hospitals, plenty of opportunities with a respected degree in currently faster growing areas around the nation or back home after graduating. Financial aid? Hmmm, with plenty of CT students?
- WVU and Syracuse come up tied for last. Other than your wife's grad school sentiments, WVU's just not a very good school, the area sukcs, the economy's still on life support, etc. I know WVU hospital's top cardiologist and know quality care is provided, when's the last time sometime put "WV and world-class health care services" in a sentence? Internship in podunk WV?
- Syracuse: Woefully overpriced, not nearly as impressive as some inexplicably believe, located in a dumpy city and ongoing dying area, cold as a witch's ... , etc.; Any respected hospitals for internships? Many CT kids go there; minimal school incentive to provide much aid unless your daughter has some amazing distinguishing characteristics, background, experience, etc. Other than sports coms (or whatever it is), why consider Syracuse? Massive mystery from my perspective, but your daughter may have good reasons.
- For private school prices, Northeastern and Nova offer better intern/coop access to some of the nation's/world's top hospitals. As both schools have boat loads of CT students like your daughter, their incentive to offer much aid may not be too high (emphasis on may not).
- Penn State's a pretty decent school, but it's challenging to identify an added ROI versus UConn. Better football experience now, but just an even bigger land grant school in podunk-ville. For a CT kid, many other large state schools would pop up versus Ped State.
- Pitt's not private, it's actually a state-funded school. Very good hospitals for internships, Pittsburgh's an OK city, but what's the real added attraction? Financial aid? Doubt it!
- UConn - Other than really wanting to get away from home/Mom/Pop, being in a relatively slower growth economy, and a few months of krap winter weather, bang-for-the-buck it's a no brainer "great pick".

Other than Boston with its' strong economy and the slight possibility of Amazon picking Philly, none of the schools are in fast growth areas. Maybe your daughter prefers cool to cold weather, but hasn't she considered any faster growth regions? Perhaps schools with warmer weather, competitive total costs relative to UConn, and potential stronger incentive to expand campus diversity by offering a CT native financial aid?

Good luck to your daughter!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really want to drive home the point about debt.

My wife and I are both in our mid to late 20's and we went to our respective in-state flagship universities. We were both unbelievably fortunate to be able to graduate without going into debt and that fact alone has been a tremendous benefit as we build towards the future.

We have many friends our age who either went to private school or out of state schools and took on tremendous debt in order to do so. While they have jobs that pay similarly, they are obviously greatly hampered in their ability to save.

I had no idea what taking on 40, 50, 80, 100 even 150k in debt would mean for me as an adult when I was a stupid 17 year old making these decisions. Luckily my parents made it very clear from the start that my only choice was UConn.

Maybe things have changed, but I do not recall anyone in my high school (guidance counselers etc etc) ever speaking about this stuff, but it should be spoken about! It's important.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. My wife's high school friend went to Bates in the '90s and put her parents $200K+ in debt and walked out with an Art History degree. She worked in child care and retail for 20+ years before going back to school for Accounting. My wife recalls how this friend looked down on her for going to a state school.

Nursing

I live in Westchester near a train station in a great HS district.

I just listened to a HS senior opine that she was far better going to Nursing at UPenn (Ivy) than various upper level States. UConn Pitt included.

This befuddles me. Nursing - I guess - can be impacted by the higher degree. But the sheer total cost (for a family who’s not 1% but working class) seems to be a topic I’d seriously research. I totally agree on the Debt point made. You are far better off not having that early in life.

I find that strange as well. My daughter has shadowed both doctors and nurses at both St. Francis Hospital and Connecticut Children's Hospital for her Healthcare Capstone, and the common opinion is that the school doesn't matter. Our friends who are doctors and nurses seem to agree.

Reaction Score
I know a couple of people whose daughters graduated from the UCONN 5 year nursing program. It’s very selective, and they got very good jobs at Yale New Haven’t Hospital after graduation.

Reaction Score
If she can be happy under either scenario, stay in-state but live on campus. Paying out-of-state tuition is giving away money for nothing. Unless a real scholarship is involved.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Having 3 boys, now young men - 2 with families - the best thing to do and the most difficult to do is to support your child in their decisions. And trust me, that is not always easy! Our oldest was going into the Air Force until the end of his senior year in hs. Then he was going to college. He lasted 3 semesters at Central CT then went to work. Long story short, he got a very good job at a local car dealership. He excelled, got married, had two kids, then went back to get his BA in business. He is now a sales manager at another dealership. Second son graduated UConn on the 4 and a half year program. Costs were reasonable and he and we had no debt marketing major doing very well. He married a UConn grad - nursing major BTW. She has a great job at a local hospital. Our youngest started the college route, and like his oldest brother, left school and went to work. He is now finishing up his bachelor's degree courtesy of the United States Navy - 3 month deployment and 2 courses done while being deployed.

So have a serious talk with your daughter. Tell her the financial realities of college and life. It will work out.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I went instate to UConn, moved to Philly and Boston and then got my masters at Northeastern. I chose UConn over Bentley and Bryant for financial reasons and it was one of the best life choices I've made. I'd rather have my kids go to a great, affordable local public school for 4 years and then head to a big city and get their masters there. I have a few UConn friends in nursing and they're doing very well in Hawaii, CT and NC. Nursing is a profession that you can easily pick up a travel job and see much of the country, which of course is easier to do with less loans. Boston is a cool place but she can easily move up here when she graduates (plenty of her friends will). The best thing my parents did was lay out the per-school financials over 4 years and explained to me how much I'd owe based on my choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom