OT: Chinese Take Out | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Take Out

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why its so hard to get adequate Duck sauce from Chinese restaurants. They'll give about 15 packs of that nasty soy sauce but you have to plea bargain for duck sauce every time. There's nothing worse than ordering $40 worth of Chinese food and you get it home there's only four duck sauces in the bag. The worst.

Not even close to the worst. Worst is when you order moo shu and they forget to give you hoisen. Or the pancakes. I've had both happen.

If you have apricot jelly at home, you've basically got duck sauce. Basically put 1/4 cup of apricot jelly in a bowl, add 1 tbsp + 1 tsp rice vinegar, then 1/8 tsp of soy sauce. Optional adds of garlic powder and/or cayenne. Mix and voila.

Reaction Score
Not even close to the worst. Worst is when you order moo shu and they forget to give you hoisen. Or the pancakes. I've had both happen.

If you have apricot jelly at home, you've basically got duck sauce. Basically put 1/4 cup of apricot jelly in a bowl, add 1 tbsp + 1 tsp rice vinegar, then 1/8 tsp of soy sauce. Optional adds of garlic powder and/or cayenne. Mix and voila.

Yeah never been a problem for me. I once had an entire drawer full of soy and duck sauce before the wife threw them all away. Between that and the free liter of soda I had more stuff in the house than I knew what to do with.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What is the best place that does authentic Chinese? I lived in China for two years and have yet to find a place that does Chinese food even close to some of the dishes I had in the different parts of China. I have found some decent/good places in the suburbs of DC in some of the smaller cities in the DMV.

Most of the places I have been to in CT are just a sugary MSG mess, but I am open to trying a legit place next time I go back to visit family there.

I know places in Pittsburgh where if you know the name of a dish you really liked in China or at least the ingredients and region, you could call the owner and ask if they can make that for you, or if they can make something similar off the menu. I suppose it works that way in other areas at many restaurants. I know the folks I used to work for were happy to make anything off menu if they had the ingredients on hand, which is why it's best to call ahead. For instance, you'll rarely see beef tendon on a menu in an American-Chinese place, but I'll bet you'll find it in the kitchen for staff lunch.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Yeah never been a problem for me. I once had an entire drawer full of soy and duck sauce before the wife threw them all away. Between that and the free liter of soda I had more stuff in the house than I knew what to do with.

Soy sauce and duck sauce packets have an eternal shelf life.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It ain't a legit take out joint unless one table is dedicated to toys and games for the workers children to stay at all day.

Literally true at Peking House near my home in Florida. Kid was 5 years old picking up phone and taking orders. You'd show up and he'd be behind counter with tablet watching cartoons. 1o or so years later and he drives.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Nice Farva. You'll love Canada with their litres of cola.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, true story.

A few years ago when my daughter started her teens years and was gaining responsibility, she called Mrs. Diesel about wanting Chinese take out Friday night. Mrs. Diesel say fine, call and make your order and she'll pick it up. Sure enough, Mrs. Diesel goes to local Peking House and there's no order. Mrs. Diesel re-does order, goes home and looks at daughter's phone. She called a Peking House in New Orleans about 250 miles away.

Reaction Score
You can also try Muslim Chinese food in a place like Xian but can have even more authentic versions of that in Xinjiang.

Yunnan I was just in for 5 days but it reminded me of a healthier less sweet version of Cantonese with a lot of noodles and mushrooms. I found an Indian place I liked in kunming though so I ate there a lot.
Xinjian province and others in the current day far west of China neighboring the '... stan countries have some great food, especially if you enjoy lamb, cumin, other spices, and can eat food with a spicy kick. Nothing about them resembles much of anything most Yanks associate with Chinese food. Before heading home, I'm hitting up my favorite Xinjian cai joint at least once.

Yunnan: You missed out, but then you were in Kunming. Provincial capital, but better Yunnanese regional food is typically found in smaller cities of just a million or so people, towns or smaller villages. Your comparison with Cantonese food's a head scratcher; never found that similarity.

Reaction Score
Xinjian province and others in the current day far west of China neighboring the '... stan countries have some great food, especially if you enjoy lamb, cumin, other spices, and can eat food with a spicy kick. Nothing about them resembles much of anything most Yanks associate with Chinese food. Before heading home, I'm hitting up my favorite Xinjian cai joint at least once.

Yunnan: You missed out, but then you were in Kunming. Provincial capital, but better Yunnanese regional food is typically found in smaller cities of just a million or so people, towns or smaller villages. Your comparison with Cantonese food's a head scratcher; never found that similarity.
Like I said, it has been a while. I was in China in 2009 and 2010 and only in Kunming for 5 days. Perhaps I went to a non regional restaurant the few times I had Chinese there. I want to say those few times were just less oily than much of China, more of an earthy taste. But, distant memory. Was really diggin an Indian place I found there, wonder if it is even still around.

Regardless, food from Xinjiang is just really good.

I had the chance of maybe going to one of the stan countries, Kyrgyzstan, but missed out. Hoping to someday make it to one or two of them (well, not Pakistan right now, but, like Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For all you foodie geeks like me out there, if you have NetFlix, check out the documentaries, “The Search for General Tso” and “Ugly Delicious: Fried Rice”. Very interesting looks into the origins of American Chinese food and a modern look into Chinese cuisine. Good stuff.
“Toshi Loves Sushi” - another great Netflix food doc. Can’t wait to check out those two you suggested!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I have a sad feeling that the Chinese Govt has been dumbing down America by oh-so-slowly poisoning our Friday night dinners.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts from reading through this thread:

- Chow Mei Fun is a super underrated dish. Love the thin noodle.

- Duck sauce might be as overrated a condiment as ketchup. Wife loves it, I can't stand it.

- Roberto, 'member that time at Koi, the karaoke bar behind Butterfly, you and Jeff sang "I would walk 500 miles" by The Proclaimers as a duet? So cute. Followed by Danny unironically singing "Man! I Feel Like A Woman"? @Robertelamin

- Always thought it was interesting that Black Bamboo hires cute teenage white girls to run their registers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
- Always thought it was interesting that Black Bamboo hires cute teenage white girls to run their registers.

They're often the same person who answers the phone for takeout orders. So the simple answer for that is English is their first language and they're less likely to screw up taking down the order.

Still, the best part of working in a Chinese kitchen is watching and listening to the Chinese cooks and Mexican prep staff communicate clearly with each other while none of them can speak a sentence of English... but they can all read the order slips, which come out of the printer in English and Mandarin.

Reaction Score
Had some delicious General Tso at Asian Bistro in East Brook Mall on Storrs Rd, Mansfield.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts from reading through this thread:

- Chow Mei Fun is a super underrated dish. Love the thin noodle.

- Duck sauce might be as overrated a condiment as ketchup. Wife loves it, I can't stand it.

- Roberto, 'member that time at Koi, the karaoke bar behind Butterfly, you and Jeff sang "I would walk 500 miles" by The Proclaimers as a duet? So cute. Followed by Danny unironically singing "Man! I Feel Like A Woman"? @Robertelamin

Yes that was awkward. Koi Bar was fun though and weird at the same time.

Reaction Score
I have a sad feeling that the Chinese Govt has been dumbing down America by oh-so-slowly poisoning our Friday night dinners.
So, it's not just the Boneyard? It's the whole friggin' country? Doomed!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So, it's not just the Boneyard? It's the whole friggin' country? Doomed!

The Chinese can concentrate on social media and networks. The USDA has already allowed BigAg and BigPharma to give us all the food sensitivities and mental illnesses we need to doom ourselves.

Reaction Score
If it wasn’t mentioned, Butterfly in West Hartford has always had good food in a nice setting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom