OT: Chinese Take Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Take Out

Reaction Score
A buddy of mine from China told me if I wanted authentic Chinese food go to Chinatown and point to something a patron was eating and don't ask what it is or anything and eat it.
That's what I do when I go to ethnic restaurants I'm not too familiar with. I tell the waiter to order for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Steer clear of Tai Pei... the general tsos was the worst food i've ever eaten. it was 3 chicken nuggets covered in what actually appeared to be duck sauce. The Chung's egg rolls aren't terrible, though

I'm a fan of TJ's frozen scallion pancakes. Not a big Tso fan, but my wife liked TJs Tso.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Nice thing about NY/NJ/CT/MA is that there are actually restaurants that specialize in difference provinces.
Very true. There is a Taiwanese Dim Sum in Watertown MA. One of my vendors visited from Vancouver, he's Taiwanese and was very surprised to hear we had one in the Boston area.

Reaction Score
Not Chinese but my wife brought home Sakura sushi as a peace offering after vineyard hopping and shopping all day. May have been in the car for a while or something but it was gross. They usually have good hibachi though.

“So are you Chinese or Japanese?”

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
the best Chinese I ever had was at the House of Nanking at 919 Kearney Street in San Francisco. Great food, rude service, seat you at tables with strangers. It's so good, I had multiple days of both lunch and dinner there. I havnt been in like 15 years, but I am salivating just thinking about the place.

I was there a few weeks ago and its still as good as it was when it opened. I was working for my uncles plumbing company at the time and ate there all the time. Hopefully you had a chance to have dim sum at Yank Sing when you lived there. Jesus, that place is scrumptious.

Reaction Score
Shu in West Hartford has my far the best chinese take out in the Hartford Area.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mods edit the thread to say "American Chinese food"
Because that ain't Chinese food actually.

And because you wanted to make sure that everyone knew you knew that.

I'll put up Sun-Sun in S. Windsor. The take out is consistently good. They do a nice Gen. Tso, but since the General doesn't make it home that well, I get it for lunch and have it there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is good in the Guilford area?

I remember when people dined at Chinese restaurants (casual dining, anyway)
Then one day I missed the memo and I showed up and everyone was getting take out. Suddenly take out and nasty buffets were everywhere. Westville is too much of a hassle for me. Looking for something east of the Q bridge.
Clinton’s Taste of China is probably the best bet for Chinese in the area. Ayuthai in Guilford is very good for Thai. Som Siam used to be good but imo really dropped off the past five years or so.

In terms of “real” Chinese, my partner loves Great Wall in New Haven and it is loaded with mostly Chinese people and has a menu that is written in Chinese so I am guessing it fits the bill. I have liked my meals there but, strange as it may sound, I don’t like the smell of the place so I don’t go there much. There are a few places like that for me in various cuisines. If I don’t like the smell I usually don’t choose to frequent it.

Reaction Score
Hot and Spicy Chicken from Saigon Kitchen in Hartford.

Honorable mention goes to the former Szechuan Tokyo in Elmwood. Loved everything about that place.

Reaction Score
I was there a few weeks ago and its still as good as it was when it opened. I was working for my uncles plumbing company at the time and ate there all the time. Hopefully you had a chance to have dim sum at Yank Sing when you lived there. Jesus, that place is scrumptious.

Cool. Yes, once on the dim sum. Business dinner with company party man. Blurry night.

Reaction Score
Chinese Chinese also = Chinatown in Flushing, Queens. Won't find anything like it in CT to my knowledge. Authentic.
Flushing is Chinatown now; the original increasingly not nearly as much anymore.

Reaction Score
Also, a close second for me, which I can't believe I forgot about, is Jeffrey's Kitchen in Danbury. I don't think it's as good as moon star but still good. @BFieldHusky has probably been to both and can attest.

Reaction Score
Easy. Panda Express.
^ This, well played! Only the best in almost the most authentic non-Chinese, fast western food, e.g., crab rangoon, kung pao chicken, General Tsao's, etc.

Well-timed thread; been back in the Middle Kingdom (Zhongguo/China) for a week; found possibly the worst regional food yet an interesting city in long-term capital Nanjing (Ming, Qing, other dynasties, Nationalists until kaboshed by the Beijing party boys' party post-WW II; site of Japanese 300K massacres in < 2 months 12/1937); headed off shortly to a 4 hour gorge fest with 30-40 of my closest in-laws yapping away in local dialect and some extremely tasty food and some absolute rubbish. Luckily, it's over in 4 hours (mutually accepted time agreement with spouse).

Reaction Score
Not Chinese, but best hibachi in the state is Sakura in Westport. If you like Hibachi worth the trip from wherever you live. Only place I can’t finish the food. Call ahead though bc you can’t get in often on a weekend without reservations.

As far as Chinese anyone remember Tin Tsin? Lol

Reaction Score
Good Szechuan - burns on the way in, and burns on the way out - like good Mex!

Reaction Score
Not Chinese, but best hibachi in the state is Sakura in Westport. If you like Hibachi worth the trip from wherever you live. Only place I can’t finish the food. Call ahead though bc you can’t get in often on a weekend without reservations.

As far as Chinese anyone remember Tin Tsin? Lol

Downtown Willie's finest. People loved that place, me included. That along with Gil's for drunk 2 a.m. breakfast. Good times.

Reaction Score
Downtown Willie's finest. People loved that place, me included. That along with Gil's for drunk 2 a.m. breakfast. Good times.

I remember ordering it on campus when I was up there pretty often. Everyone’s drunk go to was DP Dough, mine was Tin Tsin it Subway or Sgt Peps. Hated DP Dough after there was a tooth in it my senior year. Bright it back to the place after I noticed it, barely an apology. Never had it again.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Clinton’s Taste of China is probably the best bet for Chinese in the area. Ayuthai in Guilford is very good for Thai. Som Siam used to be good but imo really dropped off the past five years or so.

In terms of “real” Chinese, my partner loves Great Wall in New Haven and it is loaded with mostly Chinese people and has a menu that is written in Chinese so I am guessing it fits the bill. I have liked my meals there but, strange as it may sound, I don’t like the smell of the place so I don’t go there much. There are a few places like that for me in various cuisines. If I don’t like the smell I usually don’t choose to frequent it.
Helpful.

Also, no matter the cuisine, if I walk in and the music's bad, the only way I'm staying is as a concession to Lady Hans's expressed hunger, but she's generally quite accepting of my preference to move on to someplace else

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I remember ordering it on campus when I was up there pretty often. Everyone’s drunk go to was DP Dough, mine was Tin Tsin it Subway or Sgt Peps. Hated DP Dough after there was a tooth in it my senior year. Bright it back to the place after I noticed it, barely an apology. Never had it again.

DP Dough is nasty

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And you know this how? Have you compared all the rest?

It’s all beside the point - as he’ll tell us, Hillcrest has far better Chinese food than CT...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I miss the Chinese food in New Britain. When I moved to Colorado, I just figured Chinese food was Chinese food. Not quite.

Yeah they don’t make Chinese food anywhere quite like Poland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom