OT: Chinese Take Out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Take Out

Reaction Score
Wang Palace, Glastonbury

Su Chang's, Peabody, MA

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not Chinese but my wife brought home Sakura sushi as a peace offering after vineyard hopping and shopping all day. May have been in the car for a while or something but it was gross. They usually have good hibachi though.

You’ve fooled her into thinking you are against her being gone all day on the Weekend? Well done.

My mother in law still sends things to me when my wife goes there for the day. Yeah I was totally broken up when I was golfing or sleeping. Thanks for the lasagna.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of authentic chinese food either. too many bones.

And you are wondering if they're from dogs and cats.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Clinton’s Taste of China is probably the best bet for Chinese in the area. Ayuthai in Guilford is very good for Thai. Som Siam used to be good but imo really dropped off the past five years or so.

In terms of “real” Chinese, my partner loves Great Wall in New Haven

Thanks. The little place in Madison (Jai Mai?) is decent but I remember places from long ago where I felt like I was eating cuisine instead of fast food.

I guess it is the same with Italian and Mexican. Except we have more memorable Italian restaurants around here in addition to the standard shop places.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks. The little place in Madison (Jai Mai?) is decent but I remember places from long ago where I felt like I was eating cuisine instead of fast food.

I guess it is the same with Italian and Mexican. Except we have more memorable Italian restaurants around here in addition to the standard shop places.
Yeah Jai Mei is decent and not gross and that is where we get takeout because the kids like it, but I’m never wowed. They are nice people though and the place is clean; they have also doubled in size since taking over the connected space where the dry cleaner used to be.

Reaction Score
Also, a close second for me, which I can't believe I forgot about, is Jeffrey's Kitchen in Danbury. I don't think it's as good as moon star but still good. @BFieldHusky has probably been to both and can attest.
Moonstar is very good. I haven't been to Jeffrey's kitchen but I've heard good things. Used to be a really good place in Ridgefield (wild ginger) but it changed hands and eventually closed.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
For straight American Chinese take out, Tai Jiang in Fairfield is excellent. For authentic regional Chinese cuisine in CT, which is rare, Lao Sze Chuan in Milford is fantastic. I do contend however, that authentic Szechuan cuisine may seem daunting to the uninitiated. Ginkgo is Fairfield looks promising as well and I believe it is also owned by the Lao Sze Chuan restaurant group (Chicago based).

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
For all you foodie geeks like me out there, if you have NetFlix, check out the documentaries, “The Search for General Tso” and “Ugly Delicious: Fried Rice”. Very interesting looks into the origins of American Chinese food and a modern look into Chinese cuisine. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why its so hard to get adequate Duck sauce from Chinese restaurants. They'll give about 15 packs of that nasty soy sauce but you have to plea bargain for duck sauce every time. There's nothing worse than ordering $40 worth of Chinese food and you get it home there's only four duck sauces in the bag. The worst.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah Jai Mei is decent and not gross and that is where we get takeout because the kids like it, but I’m never wowed. They are nice people though and the place is clean; they have also doubled in size since taking over the connected space where the dry cleaner used to be.

Always thought that was an odd combination.

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why its so hard to get adequate Duck sauce from Chinese restaurants. They'll give about 15 packs of that nasty soy sauce but you have to plea bargain for duck sauce every time. There's nothing worse than ordering $40 worth of Chinese food and you get it home there's only four duck sauces in the bag. The worst.
Most places I've been just have the sauces in a bucket and you can take as many as you want. I always take a few extra of the spicy mustards. Mix it with a little mayo on a ham or turkey sandwich and it's delicicious

Reaction Score
What is the best place that does authentic Chinese? I lived in China for two years and have yet to find a place that does Chinese food even close to some of the dishes I had in the different parts of China. I have found some decent/good places in the suburbs of DC in some of the smaller cities in the DMV.

Most of the places I have been to in CT are just a sugary MSG mess, but I am open to trying a legit place next time I go back to visit family there.

House of Chao. I used to love Fortune Pavilion in Derby but they closed

haha Been to China; hated the food

Well it really depends on where you were in China. I hated food from Chengdu and the general Sichuan region but food in Guilin/Yangshuo and the general Guangxi region was really good IMO. Wuhan (Hubei) kind of mixes the different sytles from multiple regions in the country, it can mix salty, sweet, spicy, etc. Guangzhou (Guangdong) is probably the region with food most similar to what Americans are used to/most similar to American Chinese. Food way up in the northeast in a place like Harbin (Heilongjang) for sure has a Russian twist in some of its dishes. If you go to Jilin you might find food somewhat related to Korean food. I found food in Hunan to be quite spicy. Some of the snacks and street food I had in Hebei province I could not find anywhere else in China, sadly, because I liked some of the street food there. You can also try Muslim Chinese food in a place like Xian but can have even more authentic versions of that in Xinjiang. There, for sure, is not a unified cuisine in a country as grand as China. I was not the biggest fan of food in Beijing or something like the Beijing duck but the city also does a decent job of including food from all around the country. Yunnan I was just in for 5 days but it reminded me of a healthier less sweet version of Cantonese with a lot of noodles and mushrooms. I found an Indian place I liked in kunming though so I ate there a lot.

Where in China did you go?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DP dough got progressively worse every year I was at school. My freshman year it was ok and it was all downhill after that. Sgt peps calzones are better anyway
‘08-‘12 here, can absolutely attest to every word of this post. Several things declined over that period.

Thanks Sussie Lax!

Won’t go any further to detail the thread but I can attribute what was by far my fattest state of my life to the pepperoni bread at Pepp’s and my heaviest drinking (sophomore) year

Reaction Score
Most places I've been just have the sauces in a bucket and you can take as many as you want. I always take a few extra of the spicy mustards. Mix it with a little mayo on a ham or turkey sandwich and it's delicicious

I thought this was how every place did it. You could dump the whole container in your bag if you wanted to.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I thought this was how every place did it. You could dump the whole container in your bag if you wanted to.
Maybe he is getting delivery? You can buy Duck sauce by the jar in grocery stores and keep it in your fridge. I use it for a glaze sometimes.

Reaction Score
For straight American Chinese take out, Tai Jiang in Fairfield is excellent. For authentic regional Chinese cuisine in CT, which is rare, Lao Sze Chuan in Milford is fantastic. I do contend however, that authentic Szechuan cuisine may seem daunting to the uninitiated. Ginkgo is Fairfield looks promising as well and I believe it is also owned by the Lao Sze Chuan restaurant group (Chicago based).
Tia Jiang really is good. I get 2 meals per order so it is a bargain too. Even if you eat it all in 1 sitting.

Want to hit Ginkgo soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom