OT: cheating at Duke???? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: cheating at Duke????

Reaction Score
That crisis threw us into a black hole that years and years later we are just starting to crawl out of.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
and then declare themselves National Champions.
Here's the new banner:

1589282827895.png

Reaction Score
Coach K is untouchable. The system is in place where he knows his top recruits are getting taken care of but he doesn’t have to know the specifics of exactly how it’s going down if he doesn’t want to. No other college coaches will with any kind of influence will ever speak up about it either.

Reaction Score
In some ways College basketball and the NCAA have too much to lose if Duke and K get nailed for cheating. CBS too really. After all Duke isn’t a true blue blood in the sense of winning Championships in the same way that say Kentucky or Kansas or UNC are. They are treated like one for sure but in terms of history they are a relative newby. But they are an elite academic institution that has A great head coach and in an era when the sport sometimes resembles a slime pit it is useful to have them as a counterpoint to the likes of Calipari and Kentucky or the Louisville College of radiator repair and Pitino. Everybody can say, “yeah, but look at Duke. That is what college basketball is all about.” It just isn’t in anyone’s interest to lose that so I suspect it will be treated in a way to protect the asset.

Reaction Score
Coach K is untouchable. The system is in place where he knows his top recruits are getting taken care of but he doesn’t have to know the specifics of exactly how it’s going down if he doesn’t want to. No other college coaches will with any kind of influence will ever speak up about it either.
I think you're right. That's why I compared them to UCLA. Wooden knew shady dealings were going on, but he made sure that he didn't know exactly what those shady dealings were. Same thing going on here. I'd be shocked if K was directly involved in any of this, but he approved of his support staff doing what was needed to get the talent on campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I want to know is where is Jay Bilas? He had a lot a sanctimonious commentary about the whole KO thing. He went stealth when he was shown to be indefensibly wrong on that. I guess he’ll stay in the witness protection program until this blows over too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, what is wrong with this statement at at the 1:48 mark...

'Taking down that banner from 1999' due to Corey Maggette, etc. at Cameron Indoor Stadium maybe a little difficult as its 600 miles away in Storrs hanging from the rafters at Gampel. Then again, if Duke does get hit for Zion, Emmert will probablely demand that UConn turn over that banner as punishment to Duke.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I've always wondered how they track meal money. I know for a fact that in DII at least, when going to a tournament where you're staying overnight, players get an envelope for meal money and they spend it at their discretion in between regular team meals. Wasn't a large amount and some guys would hit up the dollar menu at McD's and then to the mall for some new gear or CDs (I'm old), but I've always wondered if its the same thing when these guys go to say, the ACC tourney, do they get an envelope for "meal money" and what would stop them from adding a couple of extra crisp c-notes from a "friend of the program" to said envelope?

Has anyone on this board played DI hoops and can regale us with tales of life on the road?
My road experience was the same. Eat from the dollar McD 's menu and pocket the per diem for a rainy day. I used per diem for Christmas presents and the like.

Reaction Score
After all Duke isn’t a true blue blood in the sense of winning Championships in the same way that say Kentucky or Kansas or UNC are.
How do you mean? Duke has 5 chips and Kansas has 3

Reaction Score
Duke has 5 and could be the biggest underachiever in cbb history. Think about how easy it would be when you literally get to hand pick your roster every year then get to stay in Greensboro until the Final 4.
Kansas also hand picks their roster but has 2 fewer chips than Duke. theyre the second winningest program but only have 3 chips to show for it. that's 1 chip for every 750+ wins so they get my vote for biggest underachiever

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My dream for how this plays out is that they find Zion and family received lots of benefits. Duke gets in trouble for that and then gets hammered again for the previous "investigation" that they did that showed no evidence of impropriety. Then they need to look back at Bagley because that was the same thing. Houses and money.

Reaction Score
My dream for how this plays out is that they find Zion and family received lots of benefits. Duke gets in trouble for that and then gets hammered again for the previous "investigation" that they did that showed no evidence of impropriety. Then they need to look back at Bagley because that was the same thing. Houses and money.
I like to dream about living on a beach

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
'Taking down that banner from 1999' due to Corey Maggette, etc. at Cameron Indoor Stadium maybe a little difficult as its 600 miles away in Storrs hanging from the rafters at Gampel. Then again, if Duke does get hit for Zion, Emmert will probablely demand that UConn turn over that banner as punishment to Duke.
He's talking about their banner for regular season AP#1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gina Ford's attorneys here remind me of this scene in The Good, the Band and the Ugly. (Skip to :38)

Reaction Score
He's talking about their banner for regular season AP#1.

Looked at a few pics, could not find that one. Maybe is hanging right next to the Patriots' 2007/8 Undefeated Season banner? I did see a 1999 Final Four Banner.

Reaction Score
Uh, what is wrong with this statement at at the 1:48 mark...

The only thing wring with it is that we turn the bammer over to Duke for them to hang in thier rafters.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What I want to know is where is Jay Bilas? He had a lot a sanctimonious commentary about the whole KO thing. He went stealth when he was shown to be indefensibly wrong on that. I guess he’ll stay in the witness protection program until this blows over too.
wrong in your opinion
I guess that makes it wrong

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
“Tout them”? Lol
Tout means to praise them loudly
And yes, right or wrong, quite a few did so in that particular case/issue

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tout means to praise them loudly
And yes, right or wrong, quite a few did so in that particular case/issue
Who on this board is praising the NCAA loudly. I think I missed that.
wrong in your opinion
I guess that makes it wrong
Well... yeah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer