OT: Chase Utley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Chase Utley

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm not a Mets or Dodgers fan but I was literally yelling at the TV last night. I couldn't believe they didn't call him and the runner out. That was just so clearly interference. Couldn't believe the calls on the field there.

Reaction Score
Not remotely interference. He was in the base path and the contact happened after Tejada threw the ball. The injury was because Tejada was out of position due to Murphy's terrible throw.

I'm not a Mets or Dodgers fan but I was literally yelling at the TV last night. I couldn't believe they didn't call him and the runner out. That was just so clearly interference. Couldn't believe the calls on the field there.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not remotely interference. He was in the base path and the contact happened after Tejada threw the ball. The injury was because Tejada was out of position due to Murphy's terrible throw.
You cannot possibly be serious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thank you, Mrs. Utley.

Reaction Score
He didn't slide until after the bag so he should have been called out. That said, no suspension Utley was within the distance where he could have tagged the bag with his left hand.

Reaction Score
You have to be braindead to think there was nothing wrong with that slide.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
390-slideweb-1010.jpg

What is it in Tejada's right hand if contact happened after he threw the ball?

My biggest point is that Utley never attempted to touch second base (even if he was close enough that he could have). There is no way he can argue that this happened while he was attempting to get to second safely so I can't see how it is not worthy of suspension (nor do I see how it isn't interference as all he did was make it impossible for the shortstop to throw the ball to first).

Reaction Score
8893 said:
The irony will be if he gets suspended, which is what they're talking about now.

The only person who will benefit is Utley, because it will protect his coward ass from retribution. He's a bench player for them and it does nothing to correct the result for the Mets.

You can call Utley a lot of things but coward ass is not one of them.

Reaction Score
Never threw the ball.

Just wow.

Reaction Score
This is all true but starting the slide almost at base level ain't remotely kosher. He just wasn't sliding to get to the base. It's gone on for over 100 years so it's nothing new but a rule change is in order. BTW there are a ton of injuries from sliding runners every year. Mets were just snakebit because of when it happened.

Reaction Score
jibsey said:
This is all true but starting the slide almost at base level ain't remotely kosher. He just wasn't sliding to get to the base. It's gone on for over 100 years so it's nothing new but a rule change is in order. BTW there are a ton of injuries from sliding runners every year. Mets were just snakebit because of when it happened.

How's it "all true"? The ball never left his hand.

Reaction Score
You can call Utley a lot of things but coward ass is not one of them.
We'll see if he enters the batters box! Have watched the play numerous times. I fail to see a slide. Utley leads with his shoulder and hits Tejada about thigh high. I hope the Mets don't lose anyone important tomorrow when the benches empty!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConnDad said:
We'll see if he enters the batters box! Have watched the play numerous times. I fail to see a slide. Utley leads with his shoulder and hits Tejada about thigh high. I hope the Mets don't lose anyone important tomorrow when the benches empty!

I'm not saying it wasn't cheap. It was without a doubt and it was also the wrong call by the umps. But as a guy who had Phillies season tickets for every season but one Utley was in philly I can confidently tell you Utley is probably in the managers office begging to start tomorrow. There was a reason he led the league in hit by pitches 2 or 3 years in a row. He plays hard, sometimes dirty, accepts the consequences and is never a coward ass about it.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it wasn't cheap. It was without a doubt and it was also the wrong call by the umps. But as a guy who had Phillies season tickets for every season but one Utley was in philly I can confidently tell you Utley is probably in the managers office begging to start tomorrow. There was a reason he led the league in hit by pitches 2 or 3 years in a row. He plays hard, sometimes dirty, accepts the consequences and is never a coward ass about it.
Didn't say he was a coward. Just want him in the batter's box. Will make things interesting.

Reaction Score
UConnDad said:
Didn't say he was a coward. Just want him in the batter's box. Will make things interesting.

My bad, thought I was still responding to the original poster I quoted.

Can't say I blame you with wanting to see that. Enjoy the rest of the postseason. Hopefully it's better umpired.

Reaction Score
I'm a Phillies fan, and an Utley fan; so take my post accordingly.

Utley should have been called out because he never touched the bag.

The play wasn't dirty though. The rule sucks and Utley took advantage. The rule requires that the runner be within reach of the bag when he slides, and Utley was within reach (as he went by).

The rule should require that the runner end his slide within reach of the bag. Utley made no attempt to end up safe at second, but the rule does not require him to do so.

Sucks the way it turned out, sorry to see anyone get hurt.

As far as retribution; the Mets should focus on winning the series. If they want to pluck Utley they should do it next year (if Utley is still around). Although, If Utley is playing second and a runner comes in hard Utley is fair game.

Reaction Score
I won't call it a dirty play, but it was sure wreckless as hell. Then umps made it worse by declaring him safe.

Someone in Dodger Blue is goinfg to pay a price for that slide.

Reaction Score
Met fan, obviously don't like Utley. And I agree, it really wasn't dirty. I turned to the people with whom I was watching at the bar and said "the MLB has never called against it, so this BS is what happens."

At least he didn't pick up his cleatin the air like a certain QB once did ;)

*getspopcornready*

Reaction Score
It's "dirty" anyone saying otherwise never played the damn game. Now whether Utley intended it do be dirty when he began to take action no now knows but him. But the fact he hit his leg before he did anything close to being called a "slide" (which it wasn't not close) it's a dirty and unacceptable play period this has no room for opinion. He broke his freakin leg not because of some freak play he broke it because the move ended up making to take him out was "dirty"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom