OT: Cataract Surgery | The Boneyard

OT: Cataract Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A guy I work with has had both eyes operated on. All I can tell you is he missed a day or two of work and, he wasn't allowed to look down for a couple days. I guess it strained the muscles in his eye a certain way? Didn't seem to be too bad though....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes. Once in each eye. It is the most popular elective surgery for a reason. It is fast and relatively easy, with very few complications relative to the numbers of surgeries performed. You will be amazed at the instant improvement in your vision. The colors are vivid and outstanding.

Make sure you are comfortable with your opthamologist, both in terms of his/her skill as a surgeon and in terms of recommendations for the type of lens to get. As you probably already know, the surgery replaces your anatomical lens with a manufactured one. If you have a prescription you can likely be prescription-free after surgery, because they can insert a lens that corrects it. When I had mine done they were only doing fixed lenses, which means I could only choose to correct one vision problem with each lens. I am an extreme myope, but like many others also developed problems with reading distance as I got older. I wanted to fix both eyes for distance and just use reading glasses but my doctor ultimately talked me into mono-vision, which fixed one eye for distance and the other for reading. It sounds crazy but the brain is pretty amazing in terms of taking the best of the two images to assemble the best one. It took about a week to get used to it. However, it is my understanding that they can now do bifocals and even progressive lenses for your replacement lens, so definitely explore all options with your surgeon to find out what is best for your specific situation.

Because of issues specific to my anatomy, I ultimately suffered a detached retina in each eye around a year following each cataract surgery, which led to some pretty involved surgery and a good recovery, if less than perfect. I believe I am an extreme outlier because of both the extent of my myopia (i.e., very long eyeballs = greater risk) and another congenital condition called lattice, which is a thinning of the retinal wall. Cataract surgery in and of itself also increases the risk, so I had pretty much the perfect storm of conditions to predispose me to that.

I now have a mild progressive prescription for each eye, with a strong reading prescription in one of them. I do not have to wear glasses or contacts, but I do to drive, watch TV, ski, golf, etc. And I wear reading glasses for most of the time that I read during the day because of the volume of reading I do; but I don't necessarily need reading glasses to read a menu, for example, because the eye that was fixed for reading is still pretty good for that.

Hope that helps. I learned a lot in the process, so let me know if you have any questions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you have cataract surgery you will be able to watch this team play. Be careful what you wish for :)
Reminds me of the owner of a restaurant where I tended bar long ago. He taught me a very unorthodox method of clearing wax from your ears, and cautioned that after he did it, he regretted it because he was able to hear his wife all throughout the house and the restaurant.

And he was spot on. I had a headache for the first couple days because I was hearing like Jaime Sommers, and as a bartender in a very busy bar it was more of a curse than a blessing for a while. The sound of the change hitting the cash drawer made me jump.

Reaction Score
L
Anyone here have cataract surgery?

Please share you experience.

Thanks

I had both done about a year apart. No problems. Best to have it done with a very experienced md.

Most important, take drops as directed!!!!!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Had both eyes done a year ago. Now 20-20. A little discomfort for one eye for a day and no discomfort for the other one. Could not be happier.

One parent and three of my sisters had the same results and some had some really bad vision. They usually do one eye first and if successful
(which are something like 99.9%) they will do the other if you like. I had the fortune of being referred to Consulting Ophthalmologists in Farmington
for some minor surgery near my eye about five years ago. I stayed with them because I like the way they ran their practice. Found out later they are
all Yale/Harvard/ Hopkins etc. trained and are top notch surgeons and affiliated with Hartford Hospital. We are blessed with the finest medical care quality living in the
Boston/New York/ DC corridor. Best of luck!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've watched a few cataract surgeries before.

They cut your cornea open like a tin can and peel the flap back. They insert hooks to hold back the iris, then use a drill to carve up your existing lense, vacuuming out the pieces as they go. Then they insert the new lense, take the hooks out, and close the cornea flap. Not much to it.

Most ophthamologists will do 5 or 6 in an afternoon. It's very routine.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone here have cataract surgery?

Please share you experience.

Thanks
Three folks close to me had it done (one about your age), all positive results.

Reaction Score
I had both my eyes done a few months apart. I had smooth sailing all the way. I had a light sedation - what took about twenty minutes seemed like 2 or 3. If you follow your post op orders and use all the drops I highly recommend it. I never wore contacts so I had both eyes corrected to 20/20 for distance. I still need reading glasses, however. If you use contacts and have one eye for reading and one for distance, you can do that with the cataract surgery. Good luck.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yup, you live up to your username.

I've watched a few cataract surgeries before.

They cut your cornea open like a tin can and peel the flap back. They insert hooks to hold back the iris, then use a drill to carve up your existing lense, vacuuming out the pieces as they go. Then they insert the new lense, take the hooks out, and close the cornea flap. Not much to it.

Most ophthamologists will do 5 or 6 in an afternoon. It's very routine.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is what I was looking for. I've had several surgeries. As long as I'm out, I really don't care what they do to me. But eye surgery scares the crap of me. I may wait until I absolutely have to get it done.

On the positive side - only the left eye, which is near site. My right eye is far sites. If they can correct the left to match the right, I won't need the glasses that I never wear.

30 years of teaching tennis outdoors seems to have taken its toll.

I had both my eyes done a few months apart. I had smooth sailing all the way. I had a light sedation - what took about twenty minutes seemed like 2 or 3. If you follow your post op orders and use all the drops I highly recommend it. I never wore contacts so I had both eyes corrected to 20/20 for distance. I still need reading glasses, however. If you use contacts and have one eye for reading and one for distance, you can do that with the cataract surgery. Good luck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is what I was looking for. I've had several surgeries. As long as I'm out, I really don't care what they do to me. But eye surgery scares the crap of me. I may wait until I absolutely have to get it done.

On the positive side - only the left eye, which is near site. My right eye is far sites. If they can correct the left to match the right, I won't need the glasses that I never wear.

I think you're crazy to wait. I've had more eye surgeries than anyone I know and this one is a piece of cake, and after a day or two your life improves dramatically. You will wonder why you waited this long and look forward to needing it in the other eye. Just talk to the doctor and anesthesiologist beforehand and explain that you want to be as far out as they are willing to put you. If Propofol is an option I highly recommend it. I just had that for a colonoscopy and endoscopy and it was by far the best form of sedation I've ever had. I was knocked out within seconds and woke up having zero memory and zero side effects.

C

Chief00

I wouldn't wait - go to a top notch MD who has plenty of experience - you be happy you did.

Reaction Score
Yes. Once in each eye. It is the most popular elective surgery for a reason. It is fast and relatively easy, with very few complications relative to the numbers of surgeries performed. You will be amazed at the instant improvement in your vision. The colors are vivid and outstanding.

Make sure you are comfortable with your opthamologist, both in terms of his/her skill as a surgeon and in terms of recommendations for the type of lens to get. As you probably already know, the surgery replaces your anatomical lens with a manufactured one. If you have a prescription you can likely be prescription-free after surgery, because they can insert a lens that corrects it. When I had mine done they were only doing fixed lenses, which means I could only choose to correct one vision problem with each lens. I am an extreme myope, but like many others also developed problems with reading distance as I got older. I wanted to fix both eyes for distance and just use reading glasses but my doctor ultimately talked me into mono-vision, which fixed one eye for distance and the other for reading. It sounds crazy but the brain is pretty amazing in terms of taking the best of the two images to assemble the best one. It took about a week to get used to it. However, it is my understanding that they can now do bifocals and even progressive lenses for your replacement lens, so definitely explore all options with your surgeon to find out what is best for your specific situation.

Because of issues specific to my anatomy, I ultimately suffered a detached retina in each eye around a year following each cataract surgery, which led to some pretty involved surgery and a good recovery, if less than perfect. I believe I am an extreme outlier because of both the extent of my myopia (i.e., very long eyeballs = greater risk) and another congenital condition called lattice, which is a thinning of the retinal wall. Cataract surgery in and of itself also increases the risk, so I had pretty much the perfect storm of conditions to predispose me to that.

I now have a mild progressive prescription for each eye, with a strong reading prescription in one of them. I do not have to wear glasses or contacts, but I do to drive, watch TV, ski, golf, etc. And I wear reading glasses for most of the time that I read during the day because of the volume of reading I do; but I don't necessarily need reading glasses to read a menu, for example, because the eye that was fixed for reading is still pretty good for that.

Hope that helps. I learned a lot in the process, so let me know if you have any questions.
Similar situation, wanted great distance vision after wearing glasses for 55-ish years. Didn't work out. First eye came back at ~20/200. So pissed I didn't want to do the other. He said he'd try for 20/20 in 2nd eye, but didn't come close, ~20/80. So I still wear glasses 100%, but can see things better without compared to my 20/500 pre-op. Big plus was night driving, although new car lights are getting intolerable. Big minus, still need glasses for distance and much reading. Can't see as well close up anymore. Overall, the night driving won the battle.

Reaction Score
Piece of cake. Had both eyes done one week apart. Nary a problem. As several have mentioned, following the eyedrop protocol is paramount.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What's -20 vision? Never heard of that.

Similar situation, wanted great distance vision after wearing glasses for 55-ish years. Didn't work out. First eye came back at ~20/200. So pissed I didn't want to do the other. He said he'd try for 20/20 in 2nd eye, but didn't come close, ~20/80. So I still wear glasses 100%, but can see things better without compared to my 20/500 pre-op. Big plus was night driving, although new car lights are getting intolerable. Big minus, still need glasses for distance and much reading. Can't see as well close up anymore. Overall, the night driving won the battle.

Edit: Ah, never mind. I definitely neeed to start wearing glasses.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Piece of cake. Had both eyes done one week apart. Nary a problem. As several have mentioned, following the eyedrop protocol is paramount.

Do you come out of the surgery wearing a patch for a day or two?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Everyone keeps saying how important the eye drops are ... is that for pain, or part of the healing process.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you come out of the surgery wearing a patch for a day or two?
I did, as well as all others I know who have had it. It's just a day iirc. I had them each done on Fridays and was back in the office the following Monday better than new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom