OT- Calipari gets lifetime deal . . . | The Boneyard

OT- Calipari gets lifetime deal . . .

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
As they should. In b4 the people of this board say he isn't worth it or some foolishness that they were saying about coach k.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how you'd even structure a deal like that. Perpetual one-year option for Calipari? Is it an annual base salary plus inflation adjustment? What's the buyout like from either side on a lifetime deal.

Reaction Score
according to the article he was in contact with UCLA about their vacancy. He is already the highest paid coach in the country so he would probably just stay that until he stepped down or be matched with any other coach's higher salary and then have some lesser paying role once he retired. I would assume the buyout would be absurd given the idea of a lifetime contract.

Reaction Score
If NCAA eradicates one and done, I think Cal loses his recruiting pitch. He would still get good players but you won’t be having 5 star players on the bench.

Reaction Score
There has to be a ton of stipulations in here like can't coach another college, etc

Reaction Score
falling short much more often than not.
Most teams fall short more often than not. This is the 80th NCAA tournament and

UCLA has failed to win 69 of them.
Kentucky has failed to win 72.
UNC has failed to win 74.
Duke and Indiana 75
UConn 76
Kansas/Villanova/Louisville* 77.

In college basketball, more than almost any sport, even the best programs fail to win more often than not.

Reaction Score
Based on the article, why would UCLA think they could get him for 8M/year when he's already making 11.8M/year? Unless I read something wrong, all it did was give Calipari a reason to get even more money from Kentucky.

Also how the hell does UCLA not pay for charter flights? That's just odd.
Probably weird rules because of the UC system. But you'd think they'd have a booster fund that would pay for a lot of that ish.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
good for him but f the Squid and the school
carried the one and done to an extreme
it will be interesting if and when the rules change and he needs to recruit players to develop in a span greater than 240 days

temery

What?
Reaction Score
good for him but f the Squid and the school
carried the one and done to an extreme
it will be interesting if and when the rules change and he needs to recruit players to develop in a span greater than 240 days

The top schools will still get the best players.

Reaction Score
If the one and done rule changes, how will Calipari recruit?

Reaction Score
If the one and done rule changes, how will Calipari recruit?

I think the one and done schools will fare better when the rule changes. The only time he won a championship was when he had a couple upper classmen, sort of like this year with Washington and Travis, even though this year didn't play out that way. Jay Wright's upper classmen won him his titles without a boatload of five stars.

Reaction Score
I think the one and done schools will fare better when the rule changes. The only time he won a championship was when he had a couple upper classmen, sort of like this year with Washington and Travis, even though this year didn't play out that way. Jay Wright's upper classmen won him his titles without a boatload of five stars.
That only works if you can develop players. He won that year because of Anthony Davis, a once a decade type player, not because of his upperclassmen. If he still lands THAT kid once the one and done is gone, then, yeah, he will fare better. But if all those kids jump to the NBA, he won't win another one.

On a related note, how did coach K not win it all with Zion?!?! I wonder if he isn't the same coach in his old age.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That only works if you can develop players. He won that year because of Anthony Davis, a once a decade type player, not because of his upperclassmen. If he still lands THAT kid once the one and done is gone, then, yeah, he will fare better. But if all those kids jump to the NBA, he won't win another one.

On a related note, how did coach K not win it all with Zion?!?! I wonder if he isn't the same coach in his old age.

Davis had a great rebounding game (18) in the final but was only 1 for 10 for 6 points. I was referring to Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones, with 22 and 9 respectively, who were the two sophomores (upperclassmen to Kentucky).

Reaction Score
If NCAA eradicates one and done, I think Cal loses his recruiting pitch. He would still get good players but you won’t be having 5 star players on the bench.
One and done is done as soon as the NBA is able to change it. Im curious to see what it does to the college game. Honestly College hoops isnt the same as it used to be. I think cbb has kind of sucked since the one and one was implemented. Obviously Uconn winning a few titles hasn't sucked lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom