OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 90 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True, but they don't usually put a lot of money in something they can't sell.

FYI - Based on the number of photograhpers and people hanging around with red jerseys on plus a few British acents in the lobby, Arsenal is staying at the W in Hoboken for this weekend's match with the Red Bulls.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Art and I don't decide anything together. I am impressed he didn't mention in his post that he blocked me.

I was just making a joke about you and Zoo bringing up Donovan. Sorry it it didn't come off that way.

I understand, I was trying to funny with my last line as well. Sometimes it doesn't take and I'm not going to use emoticons.

Reaction Score
The next person who posts about soccer gets a vodoo doll on the RR tracks. Time to move on.

article-2511060-198E2B8D00000578-907_634x497.jpg

I TOTALLY get that some of you don't want to see this stuff. We should have a seperate soccer board here.

I can't wait for camp to open BTW.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
FYI - Based on the number of photograhpers and people hanging around with red jerseys on plus a few British acents in the lobby, Arsenal is staying at the W in Hoboken for this weekend's match with the Red Bulls.
*COUGH* Stalker *COUGH* :D

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I TOTALLY get that some of you don't want to see this stuff. We should have a seperate soccer board here.

I can't wait for camp to open BTW.
I offered to move this thread and start it somewhere else but everyone wanted it to stay here! We could move it to the Pro Sports board. Probably could even have an admin move this entire thread there? I don't care either way and am glad we have a running thread on soccer.

I too can't wait to be able to actually have football news worth talking about!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, they have a lot of stuff going on this Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun. They are at one of the train stations tomorrow with the FA Cup and some players for autographs. I think they might be closing down 14th street around 3rd Ave. There are 3 bars down there that are hosting things. (Blind Pig, O'Hanlons, and The Winslow) There are book signings, art show, 5v5, 3v3 tourneys. Should be a mess of Arsenal fans in NYC this weekend. I won't be able to make it down there til Sunday. Still not sure if I am going to hang out in NYC or go straight to the game in Harrison.

Reaction Score
Yea, they have a lot of stuff going on this Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun. They are at one of the train stations tomorrow with the FA Cup and some players for autographs. I think they might be closing down 14th street around 3rd Ave. There are 3 bars down there that are hosting things. (Blind Pig, O'Hanlons, and The Winslow) There are book signings, art show, 5v5, 3v3 tourneys. Should be a mess of Arsenal fans in NYC this weekend. I won't be able to make it down there til Sunday. Still not sure if I am going to hang out in NYC or go straight to the game in Harrison.
Just make sure to secure your wallet if you go anywhere near the Arsenal riff-raff. It's a rotten bunch ;).

Reaction Score
*COUGH* Stalker *COUGH* :D

Actually, not. I go for a walk around Pier A and C in Hoboken every day for lunch when the weather cooperates. Thus, on my way back, I noticed an unusual heard of cameras and fans in red next to the W. Usually, that area is empty as everyone migrates to the riverfront. Thus, I asked and confirmed my suspicions (the Quakes were there last week, seems to be a popular Red Bull visitors hotel). That said, if Ramsey or better yet Zelalem was around, I would stop and say hi. In Zelalem’s case, I may do a little on the spot promotion of the USMNT. :)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah but I like where our National Team is compared to England's. We actually have a plan and England just wants to do more of the same.

True dat.

At the end of the day, we are a country with over 300 million people, great facilities, and a thirst for sports. Believe me when I say that the rest of the world is rooting against the United States "figuring out" soccer...

Reaction Score
Just make sure to secure your wallet if you go anywhere near the Arsenal riff-raff. It's a rotten bunch ;).

Coming from a fan of a team who's mascot is blue, tiny, preppy looking . Sigmund Freud would have a field day with that mascot. Now, Arsenal had a big, mother fracking (picture Samuel L Jackson barking this out while giving you the stare) cannon.

Attachments

• roastspurs.gif
    roastspurs.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 73
Reaction Score
Coming from a fan of a team who's mascot is blue, tiny, preppy looking . Sigmund Freud would have a field day with that mascot. Now, Arsenal had a big, mother fracking (picture Samuel L Jackson barking this out while giving you the stare) cannon.
Arsenal's big cannon.....overcompensating for something (or a lack of something)?

Reaction Score
Thanks for moving the thread.

BTW, any going to see any of the EPL games? I really wanted to go see Arsenal play the Red Bulls as its 45 minutes from my house. But, after paying for UConn football season tickets, a pair for the UConn/Duke hoops game at IZOD later in the year, and buying 3 good (not great) tickets for the Yanks and Sox in the Bronx with Tanaka pitching, I reached the limit with my wife who did give me the Samuel L Jackson stare when I ‘mentioned’ that the Gunners were playing in Jersey. I will be rooting for the Gunners; but, I hope that the Red Bulls make a game of it for MLS’s sake.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for moving the thread.

BTW, any going to see any of the EPL games? I really wanted to go see Arsenal play the Red Bulls as its 45 minutes from my house. But, after paying for UConn football season tickets, a pair for the UConn/Duke hoops game at IZOD later in the year, and buying 3 good (not great) tickets for the Yanks and Sox in the Bronx with Tanaka pitching, I reached the limit with my wife who did give me the Samuel L Jackson stare when I ‘mentioned’ that the Gunners were playing in Jersey. I will be rooting for the Gunners; but, I hope that the Red Bulls make a game of it for MLS’s sake.
Arsenal is still missing their German, French and Belgium contingents (Õzil, Podolski, Mertersacker, Giroud, Koscielny, Debuchy, Vermaelen) so I don't expect a great showing this early in the preseason from Arsenal. (Unless the RedBulls lay down like the Galaxy did.)

They did bring along, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky, Arteta, Flamini, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Monreal, Szczesny, Diaby and Zelalem. So they do have some first teamers along with a some yutes.

Reaction Score
It was probably time for a dedicated soccer board. UConn has a solid history of that and there are enough people willing to talk about it.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Actually, not. I go for a walk around Pier A and C in Hoboken every day for lunch when the weather cooperates. Thus, on my way back, I noticed an unusual heard of cameras and fans in red next to the W. Usually, that area is empty as everyone migrates to the riverfront. Thus, I asked and confirmed my suspicions (the Quakes were there last week, seems to be a popular Red Bull visitors hotel). That said, if Ramsey or better yet Zelalem was around, I would stop and say hi. In Zelalem’s case, I may do a little on the spot promotion of the USMNT. :)
Just giving you a hard time!

Reaction Score
Just giving you a hard time!

I know. Just trying to distinguish me, a non-stalker, with my wife, for example, who once told me that it was completely accidental that she appeared at every single spot in Boston where Ben Affleck was filming a new movie when she was in college.

BTW – Arsenal is hosting a soccer clinic today at Frank Sinatra Park in Hoboken, either that or Emirates Airlines bought the naming rights to the park and brought along a few Gunners to sign the deal.

Reaction Score
So sportsart finally got us.
Ha, we'll invite Art and Jimmy S to visit from time to time. Actually, I reached out to Temery and Fishy to set up a soccer specific forum given some of the traction/interest on the FB and BB boards. We'll see if it has legs, hope so. Ideally, some of the BB fans who don't post on FB forum can engage in fall, and FB posters who aren't posting on BB forum (like me) keep it going in spring/summer.

Reaction Score
I know this is an old beat up dead horse, but the assist to Gonzalez yesterday is why I thought Donovan should have been brought to be a late game replacement when we needed a goal. He always seems to put these free kicks into danger and picks out the most dangerous weapons (Edu goal vs. Slovenia waved off, headers by Eddie Johnson against Mexico last year). He also scored the winning goal, but I don't think he would get that easy a chance against a world class defense like Germany or Belgium, so thats more or less irrelevant. In fairness, Gonzalez probably doesn't get that header against Kompany or the Germans either, but our free kicks against Belgium and Germany were terrible (other than the gimmick play to Dempsey).

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/match/384666/colorado-rapids-los-angeles-galaxy/report

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Speaking from experience, dudes that know they are going to retire are never all in. JK picked up on that, IMO.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tim Howard has announced a sabbatical from the USMNT. {puts hand to ear}

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tim Howard has announced a sabbatical from the USMNT. {puts hand to ear}
Odds are he'd help them qualify, but there is probably not a large chance he'd start in the 2018 WC at 39 y.o.

Reaction Score
Odds are he'd help them qualify, but there is probably not a large chance he'd start in the 2018 WC at 39 y.o.

Copa will likely be his going away party. Age at 39, it is questionable if he can still beat top form in 2018 or will he just be a mortal by then. Guzman will carry the work load for 2018 qualifying; but, the door is wide open for a younger US keeper to be the man for 2018 itself.

Reaction Score
I know this is an old beat up dead horse, but the assist to Gonzalez yesterday is why I thought Donovan should have been brought to be a late game replacement when we needed a goal. He always seems to put these free kicks into danger and picks out the most dangerous weapons (Edu goal vs. Slovenia waved off, headers by Eddie Johnson against Mexico last year). He also scored the winning goal, but I don't think he would get that easy a chance against a world class defense like Germany or Belgium, so thats more or less irrelevant. In fairness, Gonzalez probably doesn't get that header against Kompany or the Germans either, but our free kicks against Belgium and Germany were terrible (other than the gimmick play to Dempsey).

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/match/384666/colorado-rapids-los-angeles-galaxy/report

Do you ever watch Zusi play in MLS? His set pieces and crosses are just as money. Yedlin put on a cross clinic in the 1st half against San Jose las night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom